Algonquin Provincial Park Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Algonquin Provincial Park

GENERAL TIP WITH A BEGINNERS ITENERARY

by RACCOON1 Updated Jun 1, 2008

Favorite thing: Try Algonguin Outfitters for equipment. Seeing animals is not guaranteed. Fot three to four day trips you do not need a guide as long as someone can read maps and you have some camping experience.

Paddling across a lake into the wind can be tiring so take breaks at the portages. You will have to portage . When we were there the last time we ran into two ladies ( small) at a portage . The smallest one could flip a canoe over her head and carry it 290 meters over a portage without any help. So what can I say.

Go to the Algonquin Park web site and order copies of " CANOE ROUTES of ALGONQUIN PARK".

For Starters .

On HY 60 at ACCESS POINT paddle north on Canoe Lake to portage P295 ( the number indicates the length of the portage in meters). This leads to Joe Lake (where there are many camp sites), and subsequently to Burnt Island Lake and Tom Thomson Lake . There is enough in this area to keep you busy . Portages range from 110 to 1140 meters in lengths.

Remember to protect cameras and maps in water tight plastic bags. Bring binoculars 7x50 or better. Food has to be stored in packs 4 meters above ground and 2 meters from the nearest tree.

CANOEING INTO ALGONQUIN

by RACCOON1 Updated Jun 1, 2008
    CANOEING  ACROSS  CANOE  LAKE

Favorite thing: UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Algonguin Park has an interconnected waterway system ( lakes, rivers, etc) which totals some 2000km in length making it probably the premier canoeing/camping area in the world . If you visit Algonquin Park you have to go canoeing .

CAMP SITE ON JOE LAKE

by RACCOON1 Updated Feb 10, 2008
    TYPICAL  CAMPSITE

Favorite thing: UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Camping locations within the park are regulated . You cannot just camp anywhere .

Here is a camp site. This location is really good as it is only a 1 1/2 hour canoe trip back to the docks, which is an advantege if bears steal your food at night .

• Jfsmith21's Profile Photo

Planning Material

by Jfsmith21 Written Oct 16, 2005

Research Material

Favorite thing: If you want to get the most out of your trip you may want to invest in one or more books on the market today.

1. The Explorer’s guide to Algonquin Park by Michael Runtz
    2. Algonquin Park Visitor’s Guide by Wayne Van Sickle
    3. Frommer’s Algonquin Provincial Park
    4. Canoeing Algonquin Park by Donald L. Lloyd
    5. Backroad Mapbook Algonquin Region by Mussio Ventures

I recommend all of these books especially the Backroad Mapbook. It shows canoe and hiking routes. Once in the park, you can pick up other publications detailing more specific needs. Check out the Algonquin bookstore online at www.algonquinpark.on.ca .

• Hiking and Walking
    • Sailing and Boating

THE PORTAGE

by RACCOON1 Updated Oct 2, 2005
    PORTAGING THE CANOE  AT P295

Favorite thing: When you portage you have to carry the canoe over your head. This may seem difficult at first glance but it is not. If you have two teenage sons portaging is a breeze. The kids take the canoes and mom and dad carry the paddles , backpack and life jackets. If you have no teenage sons teenage daughters will do.

PORTAGING

by RACCOON1 Updated Oct 2, 2005
    APPROACHING  PORTAGE  P295

Favorite thing: UNDER CONSTRUCTION

If you go canoeing in Algonquin Park completing a protage is the number one goal of your trip. Portage lengths can vary from a three minute walk to a three kilometer journey. Sometimes the portage is flat and easy to traverse and sometimes it is , lets say , a %#&%#$ .

• Canadian_Traveler's Profile Photo

Order a Map

by Canadian_Traveler Updated May 6, 2005

Favorite thing: Order a canoe route map from the Algonquin Park website. I highly recommend ordering it a good few weeks before leaving for your trip. First, you will need to reserve camp sites (even in the interior) and thus, you'll need to plan a route. Also, the reverse side of this map is very, very useful. It conatins great information including what to bring / pack, rates, useful tips and directions for canoeing as well as commonly asked questions.

Order it here:

• Hiking and Walking
    • Adventure Travel

• sim1's Profile Photo

Moose

by sim1 Updated Feb 1, 2005

Moose in Algonquin Park

Favorite thing:
    My first time in Canada, I saw this moose. The first moose I saw in my life.... it was breathtaking. I was canoeing on one of the lakes in Algonquin National Park, and I wasn't aware of the moose at all. My back was to the moose so I had no idea it was there. All of a sudden my friend said 'shhhhhh, get your camera.... there is a moose behind you!'

I turned around and was amazed. At first the moose was still quite far away. But the wind blew the canoe towards the shore to the moose. Slowly we got closer, and I sat there gazing at the moose.... a magical moment. Some other canoers came, and broke the spell. The moose got annoyed by their noise and left the lake. But for me this was a moment I will never forget.

• epicult's Profile Photo

Stop and Relax!

by epicult Updated Oct 16, 2004

The perfect place to stop and relect

Favorite thing: One of the best things about being in the park is the fact that when you're in the middle of nowhere there are no phones ringing, no cars or other types of "white stress". Peaceful, quite, reflective, and very relaxing.

Fondest memory: All it takes is a couple of days of trekking to escape it all.

• sim1's Profile Photo

Canoeing in Algonquin Park

by sim1 Written Nov 28, 2003

Favorite thing:
    In the tips on this page I have focused mainly on the hiking as I did that during my last trip to Algonquin. But I can assure you that going canoeing is something you really have to try while you are in Algonquin. I don't have my canoe pictures available right now, but when I do I will post some of them on this page as well.

There are a few other pages about Algonquin Park on VT and they show much more about going canoeing in this beautiful park. Although all these pages are different, they all have one thing in common : the love for Algonquin Park. So when you are done reading my page you might want to check out these Algonquin pages as well :

The Algonquin Witch Project by RobDavis :

True Canadian Adventure by Epicult :

An Algonquin Teamwork Blueprint by Richiecdisc :

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

memories of a lifetime....you bet

by richiecdisc Written Nov 9, 2003

memory of a lifetime, you bet

Fondest memory: But as always, paradise never lasts long. The couple we had met also explained to us that another huge storm was coming our way the following morning so we decided to set up camp closer to the last portage than we would have liked to and get a very early start the following day. We actually broke down camp in the dark and ate a cold breakfast to save time. The shortened paddle brought us to the longest portage of the trip in no time and with pride and determination we marched the 1640 meters before nary a raindrop was shed. The final lake was another big one but it was surprisingly calm despite the ensuing storm. We actually nearly beat the rain entirely but appropriately, we got a small soaking just before we reached shore. It mattered little at that point; we had accomplished all we set out to and even more, we had done it in great fashion. Doreen was rightly proud of her baptism of fire in the realm of canoeing and I was more than happy to find that we made a great team when stacked up against all that nature threw at us. We knew well that if it were not for those trying moments, the great ones would not have been nearly as appreciated. It is the pitting of oneself against the elements that makes it so special in the first place and when you come through it to enjoy the many fruits, it brings also a memory that stays with you longer than one garnered in perfect conditions. And these were those kinds of memories, ones that will last a lifetime.

glass-like lakes....

by richiecdisc Written Nov 9, 2003

paddling can be a joy on a day like this

Fondest memory: The glass-like lake was a sheer pleasure to paddle on and with a beautiful blue sky above our heads, we seemed to move effortlessly across it. On each portage, we got better and soon we found ourselves looking forward to them, as we needed only one trip to transport everything. I found I could use my life jacket as a pad and that between it and my backpack, I could rest the canoe on my shoulders without even having to use my arms to balance it. D remarked that I looked like I had been doing it my whole life and it did indeed feel the most natural thing. What really cemented it was meeting another couple who had been doing these types of trips for years and having them say they could never get the portages down to one trip. Finally, D felt comfortable that we were up to task and from that point on, the trip just got easier. In fact, we found we were a perfect team and enjoyed that we could get from one point to another as well as anyone, and on reaching camp, could get things sorted out efficiently and thus enjoy more free time. We swam naked in the cool waters and lie on the huge slabs of rock that held the warmth of the sun deep within. We found scenic spots to cook up our food with views far better than any four star restaurant and washed dishes with fiery sunsets as a backdrop. Quite simply, we lived as one with nature and found we missed little of our former lives that now seemed so far away. (continued below in Fondest Memory)

the magical morning....

dawn's early light

Fondest memory: The next morning was magical. I awoke far before the sun showed its face and enjoyed the starlit sky just before the dawn. There was a light fog hovering over the lake that added to the surreal quality once the first rays of the sun crept over the horizon. Though we both went a bit crazy with our cameras, we did not let that keep us from enjoying the beauty and solitude of the moment. We mostly sat and let the power of one of those perfect moments in nature ease slowly into our souls. I think for the first time on the trip that D felt all the hardships were worth it and she thanked me silently with her beaming smile that glowed in the amber early morning light. As it warmed up, we shed some layers of clothes and let others dry on the perfectly placed line that took full advantage of our eastern shore setting. We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast as one never knows what tomorrow brings when living in nature and a rain filled afternoon could be just around the corner. Sad as we were to leave, it was time to pack up and get back out on the lake. (continued below in Fondest Memory)

virgin paddling....

by richiecdisc Updated Nov 9, 2003

D getting the hang of paddling

Fondest memory: The morning could not come quick enough, as I was anxious to get to work on drying out our gear and making a hot meal. But soon it became apparent that we had camped on the western side of our little island and there would be no sun to warm us or help dry our wet clothes. We let them drip on a line and enjoyed some tea and oatmeal, a gourmet meal compared to what we had gulped down the night before. Not lingering too long due to the shade, we set off early and figured we could dry things out during our lunch break, as it was indeed a nice day. Though her shoulders were sore from her virgin paddling from the previous day, D relished finally getting out in the canoe in good weather. The lakes were smaller so there were plenty of portages to give our shoulders a break and also practice our technique in transporting our gear. We managed to dry our stuff out and made sure we picked a camp on the eastern shore of the island so as to have a nicer morning the following day. It was nice to have a hot meal in the evening and with two days under out belt, we were more relaxed in knowing that we could actually do this multi-day canoe thing that had been a sketchy plan up till then. (continued below in Fondest Memory)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

peanuts and pretzels and crackerjacks....

by richiecdisc Written Nov 9, 2003

Algongquin on a better day

Fondest memory: It was getting dark by the time we reached our camp site and with the rain coming down steadily, we rushed to set up our tent and I put Doreen inside to warm up. I organized our food and found a suitable tree to hang it from to keep it from any varmints, especially bears. It was out of the question to cook up a hot meal, as eating in the tent in a bear habitat is not wise. But we had to eat so I told D she should come out to eat something quickly as we had burned a lot of calories and needed to replenish them for the following day. Warm and cozy, she relented and we soon found ourselves standing side by side and dipping our hands alternately into the zip-lock bags containing the pretzels and peanuts. Full but not entirely satisfied, D got back in the tent before she was too wet and I went to hang the food. By the time I got in the tent, my clothes seemed to contain enough water to fill Lake Superior so I piled them in a wet mess in the vestibule as bringing them inside would have been a catastrophe. I finally warmed up once inside my sleeping bag but lie there wondering just why it is I like to spend my vacations beating the elements or, on occasion, having them beat me. (continued below in Fondest Memory)

Instant Answers: Algonquin Provincial Park

Comments

Algonquin Provincial Park Favorites

Reviews and photos of Algonquin Provincial Park favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Algonquin Provincial Park sightseeing.

View all Algonquin Provincial Park hotels