Amherstburg Restaurants

• kris-t's Profile Photo

Downtown Espresso Cafe: DON'T MISS REAL COFFEE

by kris-t Updated Feb 17, 2011

Downtown Espresso Cafe

Looks like it's only one place in Am-burg, where you can get real coffee - not "brown wather" (Espresso, Cappuchino, Lattes etc. ). Believe me, Italian owner knows how to do your coffee the best way.

Lotto Centre, Frozen Yogurt and more

Favorite Dish: It's a pitty there is a construction near now time and many people miss this small cafe...

• Seniors

• kris-t's Profile Photo

Caldweel's Grant: Now open 7 days a week

by kris-t Updated May 8, 2006

William Caldwell was an Irish National who immigrated to North America in 1796. He had been a member of Her Majesty’s Rangers in Europe, and subsequently became a captain in Butler’s Rangers when he arrived in the Amherstburg area. He became an Indian Liaison Officer for the British government. Caldwell befriended Chief Tecumseh, and fought alongside the Natives against the Americans in the War of 1812. He took a native wife, with whom he had several children.

The building that houses Caldwell’s Grant was built in 1836 by a man named Bullock, who opened the premises as a tavern and inn. Since its establishment, the Old Bullock Tavern (designated historical building) has gone through many incarnations. It has been, among other things, an army barracks, a bank, a pet grooming studio, a flower shop, a tea room, a used book store, and an antiques shop.

Favorite Dish: Fresh fish, seafood .

• Wine Tasting

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Caldwell's Grant: Ambience and Local Wines

by yooperprof Written Nov 10, 2004

Vintage Canada

Living in the USA, I don't see a lot of Canadian wines in stores or restaurants, but they cultivate some very friendly vintages in Ontario, and a research trip to Amherstburg gave me an opportunity to see what a nice Canadian Pinot Noir tastes like. "Caldwell's Grant" is a pleasant little bistro on the main street in Amherstburg - I had some really nice fresh trout when I was here.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Maries Good Home Cooking: My First Gravy on Chips

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Mar 4, 2004

It was obvious that this is a place many of the locals eat. Everyone here seemed to know everyone else, except us. Yet we were made to feel right at home.

Favorite Dish: We enjoyed a tasty dinner of fish and chips. This is the first time I was ever served gravy on fried potatoes. Initially I balked and began to eat mine with only salt as I usually do. Then the waitress reminded me that I was in Canada now, so I gave in and poured the gravy over the chips. Yum, yum!

Instant Answers: Amherstburg

Comments

Amherstburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Amherstburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Amherstburg sightseeing.