Saturday begins with the bicentennial parade at 11 a.m. It starts at Pickering Street, travelling down Dalhousie Street and winds up at Fort Malden.
A number of activities and events continue throughout the weekend:Military Heritage Days, Genealogy & Ancestry, Family Picnics, Period costumed re enactors on every corner! Catch a glimpse of Chief Tecumseh, General Brock etc.
The Park House has a most romantic oral tradition. It is said to have been built at the mouth of the rouge River in Detroit by a family of Loyalists. When Detroit was ceded to the Americans in 1796 the owners crossed the river to the new British post at Malden.
On receiving a land grant in 1798 they dismantled their River Rouge home and towed it downriver by canoe to be reassembled on Lot 17, the west side of First Street in the new town of Amherstburg. A feat of loyalty indeed! This story first appears in print in 1881 in the "Illustrated Historical Atlas of the Counties of Essex and Kent". Unfortunately, to date there is no documentary evidence to support the claim.
The North American Black Historical Museum has been established to preserve Black Heritage from African origins to present day development in the Western Hemisphere. There is a focus on the Underground Railroad movement, Canadian Black settlement and the accomplishments and constitutions of the people of African origins who helped shape this great nation. The museum is owned and operated by the North American Black Historical Museum and Cultural Center Inc. The Board of Director collects, preserves, interprets, researched, and exhibits a collection of objects and specimens of historical and cultural value.
As you walk through the grounds and buildings of FORT MALDEN you will see the remnants of a British Post that was pivotal in defence of this area during the conflicts that shaped early 19th century Canada. Fort Malden lies in an idyllic park-like setting along the shores of the Detroit River.
Buildings consist of: Enlisted Men's Barracks ( circa 1819 ), Visitor Orientation Center ( Circa 1939 ), Military Pensioner's Cottage ( Circa 1851 ), and Museum ( Circa 1861 ).
Remnants of Earthworks ( 1838 - 40 ) and Ordnance Shed ( Circa 1820's ) can be seen also,
Foundation Outlines of Brick Guardhouse ( Circa 1821 ) Wooden-frame Barrack ( 1839 ) Brick Cookhouse ( 1820 ) and Officer's Brick Barrack ( 1839).
Scattered throughout the grounds of Fort Malden are various Cannon's which made up the FORT' S ARTILLERY. A Cannon is any large tubular firearm designed to fire a heavy projectile over a considerable distance. The "projectile" commonly used were Cannon Balls which were solid and in the 17th century, made from iron and were the most accurate projectile that could be fired by a smooth-bore cannon and used to batter the wooden hulls of opposing ships and forts.
September 8, 9, 10 2006
Amherstburg, Ontario on the beautiful waterfront grounds of Fort Malden National Historic Site which is located at 100 Laird Ave.
SHORES OF ERIE INTERNATIONAL WINE FESTIVAL will be featuring the area's finest Wineries, top chefs and live entertainment such as the guitarist Pavlo along with soul, jazz and blues vocalist Thornetta Davis.
This year's theme is "Toast to the Tastes".
In the Seminar Pavilion there will be cooking demonstrations and wine seminars.
The event website provides schedules and ticket information.
Day and Weekend passes available.
Admission costs$10.00 for a one-day pass, $15.00 for two days and $20.00 for all Three days.
When Kris and Tim (Kris-t) invited us to go with them to the Shores of Erie Wine Festival, we thought it was a great idea. The Festival featured 12 Wineries and 11 Restaurants over the period of three days. The Fest which was only the second annual, was attended by thousands and was held on the grounds of the Historic Fort Malden in Amherstburg. The Fort grounds overlook the Detroit River and the island of Bob-lo which was once an amusement park. It made for a very relaxing atmosphere. Folks were lying in the grass, looking at the river and enjoying a bottle of wine with friends. There was also good food to enjoy.
This brick building was originally erected as a laundry andd bakery for the insane asylum established in 1859. After the asylum closed, the structure became a planing mill and continued in use, as such, until 1918 when it was purchased by Franklin Hough and converted into his family residence. Acquired in 1946, the building is now the INTERPRETATION CENTRE and contains Fort Malden's exhibits.
The Enlisted Men's Barrack was open to the public and it was very interesting. The uniforms were hung up neatly on their hooks with the caps lined up along the shelf. Also the muskets were safely stowed away. The large and long dining table had a few plates set. The plates were in the 'Blue Willow' design that my Mom used to have. The wooden cots seemed so small for military men. The bedding was neatly rolled up on the shelf behind the beds.
The sole building left from those constructed after the re-occupation of Fort Malden by the British, the single story ENLISTED MEN'S BARRACK has three rooms and was designed to accommodate 66 soldiers. In the 1840's the barrack was converted into the fort's hospital and a kitchen was added to its southeast corner.
Bastion of the Detroit River
For 200 years, fortifications at Fort Malden have witnessed and participated in the struggles which helped forge a new nation out of the North American wilderness. An army garrison, British Indian Department post, dockyard for the Upper Great Lakes and the meeting place for Chief Tecumseh and British General Brock - the fort has been all these.
Fort Malden preserves elements of the second fort built by the British on the eastern bank of the Detroit River to defend the Canadian border from American attack in the first half of the 19th century.
The first post, known as Fort Amherstburg, was constructed in 1796 near the mouth of the Detroit River where it empties into Lake Erie. This post was the headquarters for the British forces in southwestern Upper Canada during the War of 1812. Fort Malden was erected after the war and rebuilt in 1838-40 and served once again as a centre for the British defence during the Upper Canada Rebellion of 1837-39.
Today the 4.5 hectare site includes remains of the 1840-period earthworks and four buildings, including a restored and furnished 1819 brick barracks. An orientation centre and interpretation centre with exhibits will help you to discover the fascinating history of this outpost of the British Empire
Admission to the Fort is $3.95 for Adults.
A key British defensive post during the War of 1812 and the Rebellion of 1837. HISTORIC FORT MALDEN is located on the Detroit riverfront in the town of Amherstburg. The site includes original earthworks and a restored barrack.
A plaque in the front of the fort reads: "This post was begun by the Royal Canadian Volunteers in 1796 to replace Detroit and to maintain Briish influence among the Western Indians. As the principal defence of the Detroit Frontier in 1812, it was here that Isaac Brock gathered his forces for the attack on Detroit. The next year, with supply lines cut and control of Lake Erie lost to the Americans, the British could not hold the fort, which they evacuated and burned. Partially rebuilt by the invading Americans, it was returned on July 1, 1815 to the British who maintained a frontier garrison here until 1851."
Admission to the Fort was $3.95 for Adults.
The McDowall Residence
Year built: 1881-1882 (for lumber baron Th.Ouelette)
This 2,5- storey residence of solid frame was built in elevator style with a slated mansard roof. Second Empire in design, it was heated with steam andhad a plentiful supply of pure drinking wather (charcoal and gravel-filtered at the river's bank, and pumped to the house)
This house is a part of the aboard Project H.M.S. Detroit. It is the Project's intent to bring to life the role of the ship, H.M.S. DETROIT, in a war that was significant in the development of two great nations --Canada and the United States.
The Gordon House is one of two pre-1800 buildings surviving in the town of Amherstburg. The historic house was built between 1796-1798 even before the construction of Fort Malden. It was assigned to Captain William Mills, the rope-maker and militiaman in 1798.
Heavily damaged by the American occupation after the War of 1812 the house was refitted around 1817 with neo-classical detailing by the Honourable James Gordon for whom the house is named.
The historical importance of the house is closely related to the development of the town and the role played by the Detroit River. Research indicates that it was built even before the town was laid out, and was valued by a succession of owners for its strategic wharf frontage and prominence on the main street as much for its architectural elegance. The Gordon House is considered a well-preserved and prominently sited example of early architecture in the history of British settlement on the Canadian shore.
Over the past two centuries, the residents of the house have been influential with commerce on the Great Lakes and Amherstburg's fascinating history. Its history continues to unfold with the current restoration, serving as the headquarters of the H.M.S. Detroit Organization.
A key British defensive post during the War of 1812 and the Rebellion of 1837, Fort Malden commemorates a period when the destiny of Canada was determined by military action. Riverfront site, original earthworks, restored barrack, fine exhibits, group tours, educational programs and annual special events. Gift shop.
Year built 1895-96
The former Michigan Central Railroad Station is a one-storey building of red brick. Romanesque in style. Bevelled glass panes in fanlights, sills of dressed stone, decorative trim and clay tiles are featured. The new copper-final roof echoes the original profile.
A fully restored caboose houses railroad artifacts.