Colborne Travel Guide

• Once it figured out I had no food s/he went away.
    Once it figured out I had no food s/he...
    by Maestr0
    taken from summit of apple
    by Martman
    viewing highway from top of apple
    by Martman

Colborne Things to Do

• Martman's Profile Photo

by Martman Updated Sep 4, 2006

The biggle Apple in Colbourne Ontario, about an hour outside Toronto, is a great place to stop when travelling. They sell excellent pies. This stop is famous for its giant apple, extremely visible from the highway. This area has a gift shop, restaurant and bakery. I believe there is a mini golf course and a tiny animal farm for children. Simply put, it is a wonderful rest when travelling on the highway between cities.

I do not have pictures of the apple, but my pictures are FROM the apple of the highway. Instead, I give links (external to VT) for really nice pictures. Click on any of the options below for a really nice view of the apple:

apple1

apple2

apple3

apple4

Apple Height: 35 Feet (10.7 Metres)
    Apple Diameter: 38 Feet (11.6 Metres)
    Apple Weight: 42 tonnes

taken from summit of apple viewing highway from top of apple

Colborne Tourist Traps

• by Maestr0 Updated Feb 27, 2008

This place has no soul. I have been here at least four times, and for a place that supposedly focuses on pies, their pies are horrible. I tried to like them, I really did. The pies are mechanically made and it seems they have no quality control, as I have found seeds, apple cores, stems, and apple skin in their pies. I have also had uncooked pie and pie with missing ingredients (caramel apple pie with no caramel, imagine that!). If you're on a road trip and bought some pies to take home, you're going to find all this out after you're miles away. Even if you manage to get an error free pie, the thick, dry crust and apples are thoroughly bland.

The gift shop is filled with cheap, generic, dollar-store-like products, and cheap mass produced embroidered t-shirts which they make right in the gift shop. I wouldn't take children in there, as when I was there t-shirts with sexual and offensive slogans were displayed in full view. Funny to me, but in bad taste for something family oriented. The only interesting thing I found in there was a sign that said "Dangerous Rabbits" -- I bought it not because I want to remember this location but because I am fan of Monty Python.

The good thing about this place is they have large, pristine washrooms, the pie machines are neat to watch, and visiting the animals is free. My recommendation: Do the free stuff, have a pee, and leave.

Unique Suggestions: Pet the llamas.

Once it figured out I had no food s/he went away.
    • Zoo

Instant Answers: Colborne

Comments

Colborne Travel Guide
Map of Colborne