Dorset Favorites

Fall colours, Ontario
  • Favorites

Best Rated Favorites in Dorset

• sim1's Profile Photo

The beautiful colours of the leaves

Fall colours, Ontario

Favorite thing:
    Do you like fall colours? I do, I love them! On this page I want to show you some pictures of these fantastic fall colours. Probably no picture really can do it justice, it is a sight you have to see for yourself. And you have to do it on a sunny day like I had, to get the full effect of the autumn colours.

• Photography
    • Hiking and Walking

Snow???

Snow in October ???!!!

Favorite thing:
    Besides seeing the fall colours on this day, I also saw some snow! Hahaha, yes... I love the snow! Like quite a few of you know I think :-) But this early in the season???!!! Arghhhh!
    It was fun standing in the snow early in the morning, but winter is coming so fast! I've had an amazing long summer in Canada, beautiful weather up to the beginning of October, after that two weeks of fall... and now... the beginning of winter???? Aiks! This is too quick for me, I hope the weather will change its mind and will give me a few more sunny and warm days :-))

The observation tower in Dorset

The Observation Tower

Favorite thing:
    The observation tower in Dorset (just south of Algonquin Park) is a fantastic place to see the fall colours. It is very busy though! Quite a lot of people know of this place and know that the best time to visit it is on 'Thanksgiving weekend'

The view from here is spectacular...... if you are not afraid of heights! Aiks, I thought I was over most of my fear of heights, but this observation tower was a real challenge for me. It's all open structure, with hardly any railing to hold on to.... I was terrified!

Halfway the tower I had to make a stop to take a very deep breath. I wanted to go down again, this was too scary for me! But I didn't want to miss out on the beautiful view on top, and give in to my fears. So trembling on my feet I continued the climb.

• sim1's Profile Photo

The view from the observation tower

Favorite thing:
    Finally on top I could enjoy the beautiful view from the tower, and I started to relax a little bit. Hahaha, I even got enthousiastic with taken pictures!
    Climbing the tower is for free, but you have to pay $2 to park the car just below the tower. You can also walk to the tower from a parking lot down in the village, but I was too lazy today to do that :-)

Fall colours

Favorite thing:
    Of course the fall colours are not only amazing in Dorset, but through this whole part of the country. Usually the colours start at the last week of September and into October. These pictures were taken during Thanksgiving weekend.

Where and when?

Favorite thing:
    If you missed the fall colours in one area, it doesn't mean you've missed all of it. When I tried to see the colours, my first instinct was to go to Algonquin Provincial Park. But when I arrived there, I quickly concluded I was too late and I had to go further south. So I drove a bit to the south, and the area around Dorset was full of autumn colour. The later in the season it gets, the more south you have to go to see the colours.

• sim1's Profile Photo

Why do the leaves get these autumn colours?

Favorite thing:
    Okay, I'll bore you with one more fall picture. But the colours are so amazing that I can't get enough of it. The colours range in all the tones from Green to yellow, orange red and also brown. And when the sun comes out some trees look like they are on fire, the colour is so vibrant.

But why do the leaves turn into these amazing colours?
    In spring and summer the most abundant substance in leaves is chlorophyll, which gives them their green colour. Chlorophyll is essential for photosynthesis, the process which converts the energy of sunlight into sugar. Sunlight is also necessary for the synthesis of chlorophyll itself. During summer when the days are long and sunlight is plentiful, chlorophyll is synthesized in a steady, abundant supply, so that throughout the season the leaves remain green. But as autumn approaches and the hours of daylight diminish, the production of chlorophyll slows down. Also, cool autumn temperatures slow the passage of nutrients into the leaves and this further decreases the synthesis of chlorophyll. As the amount of chlorophyll in the leaf decreases, other colourful substances that were always present but had been masked by the green become visible.

Robinson's general store

Favorite thing:
    I don't have a picture of the store itself, so I've put this picture instead. I think you can call the Robinson's general store the main attraction of the village itself.This store is voted to be Canada's Best Country Store. I've been inside, but I wasn't that impressed myself though. But I didn't go upstairs to the second floor, and I am told that that is the part of the store that is the best. So I guess I missed something.

The village of Dorset

Favorite thing:
    Dorset itself is a little village in cottage country. The village itself is not spectacular, but as you could see the surroundings are. It's a perfect spot to fill up your tank and do some shopping. Hahaha, but not here though, because I think this gas station is out of order ;-)
    Although there isn't much to do in Dorset, it doesn't hurt to walk around town. That's how I found this picturesque spot at the lake.

• sim1's Profile Photo

Another view from the observation tower

Favorite thing:
    Another picture from the watch tower in Dorset. It's so amazing that I forgot my fear of heights and just enjoyed looking around.

fee schedule :

May 15 to June 16 : 9 am to 6 pm
    June 17 to September 3 : 9 am to 8 pm
    September 4 to October 31 : 9 am to 7 pm

• sim1's Profile Photo

View from the observation tower

by sim1 Updated Feb 24, 2003

Favorite thing:
    Okay, one more picture of the view, and than I'll climb down again. Hahaha, I am not sure what was more scary, going up, or going down. The view from up here is fantastic, but it was also a great feeling to stand with my two feet on the ground again :-)

Close to Dorset.... Algonquin Park

by sim1 Written Dec 6, 2002

A moose in Algonquin Park

Favorite thing:
    A visit to Dorset is an excellent combination with a trip to Algonquin Park. I always love going here. The mainroad through the park is often very busy, but when you get in the canoe.... wow.... so beautiful! Lakes, forest, wildlife, that is what you will find in Algonquin.

Instant Answers: Dorset

Comments

Dorset Favorites

Reviews and photos of Dorset favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dorset sightseeing.