Killarney Provincial Park Travel Guide

• Killarney Provincial Park
  • Killarney Provincial Park

Killarney Provincial Park Things to Do

• Cranberry Bog Trail

The Cranberry Bog Trail... This page is under construction. Until now I've only uploaded the pictures, but I hope to add more info to this tip as soon as possible.

• Taking a break :-)

Taking a break and enjoying the beautiful view over the park.... This page is under construction. Until now I've only uploaded the pictures, but I hope to add more info to this tip as soon as possible.

• Granite Ridge Trail

The first hike I made was the Granite Ridge Trail. This trail is quite short but gives you a beautiful view over the park.... This page is under construction. Until now I've only uploaded the pictures, but I hope to add more info to this tip as soon as possible.

Killarney Provincial Park Restaurants

• l_riva_l's Profile Photo

by l_riva_l Updated May 29, 2005

The best fish & chips in North America, maybe the world, is found right here in the small fishing village of Killarney.

Favorite Dish: The fish is yellow perch and it's caught daily by the same people that serve you the food.
    Sooo good!

Killarney Provincial Park Transportation

• sim1's Profile Photo

by sim1 Updated Jun 4, 2003

The closest village to Killarney Provincial Park is Killarney, which is approximately 12 kilometers away from the park.
    To get to Killarney Park from Toronto is quite easy. Take the 400 north towards Barrie and keep following this road for 140 km until it changes into the Trans Canada 69. Keep going north on this road for another 195 km until you get the exit on the left hand side to the Provincial Highway 637. Take this road for about 55 kilometers and you are at the park. There is not much else on this road so you can hardly miss it. If you drive a bit further you will end up in the village of Killarney. The whole journey is approximately 400 kilometers.

How to get to Killarney Provincial Park

Killarney Provincial Park Warnings and Dangers

• The trails aren't always so easy

• Camping in bear country

Camping in bear country...... hahaha, nope I didn't see this bear on the campground! I actually didn't see any bears at all in Killarney, but they are here, so it is something that you should be aware of! The chances of meeting a bear in the wild in Killarney Provincial Park are very rare, but you could meet up with a campground bear. Unfortunately...

• Difficult to get a campsite!

I already mentioned it in my accomodations tip, but I think this deserve a seperate warning as well. Killarney Park has approx. 170 backcountry campsites and 126 campsites at the George Lake Campground, which is booked full for the busy summer months. Even now (in May) I've noticed that some weekends in July are already fully booked! So make sure...

Killarney Provincial Park What to Pack

• Protecting against mosquitos

As you could read in my warning tip it's best to avoid being bitten by mosquitos because of the West Nile Virus. Here are some useful tips to reduce the risk of being bitten by mosquitos : Pack light coloured and long-sleeved clothing that includes long sleeved shirts or jackets, long pants, shoes, and tuck pants into socks for extra protection....

• Photography

The conditions in Killarney vary quite a bit, one moment you walk in dark forest, the next you are standing on a sunny lookout point. To get the best out of these conditions I use a 200 ISO film. I normally prefer a 100 ISO but in the woods that's not always so practical. I don't have a tripod with me on my hikes and with a 100 film I often don't...

• Can and bottle ban

This is not a tip what you should take with you, but what you shouldn't take with you. In Killarney there is a can and bottle ban in effect. This means that you are not allowed to take any bottles or cans into the parks interior. Cans and bottles are only allowed in George Lake Campground and in parking areas of interior access points.

Killarney Provincial Park Off The Beaten Path

• Swim in Acid Lake

Reading the title you probably have the vision of jumping into a lake and having the flesh stripped of your bones by fuming gases...rest assured...swimming in Acid Lake is a very pleasant experience.Acid lake got its name by having a slightly higher acidic water level than surrounding lakes. You need to understand that all lakes in the Haliburton...

• Hiking to Tar Vat Bay

Behind the lighthouse in Killarney itself starts the hike to Tar Vat Bay.... This page is under construction. Until now I've only uploaded the pictures, but I hope to add more info to this tip as soon as possible.

• The little village of Killarney

The little village of Killarney..... This page is under construction. Until now I've only uploaded the pictures, but I hope to add more info to this tip as soon as possible.

Killarney Provincial Park Sports & Outdoors

• sim1's Profile Photo

by sim1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

As you could see in my must see activities, there are quite a few hiking trails you can take that range from an hours hike to a couple of hours. But if you are seriously into hiking and love being in the wilderness this is the trail fo you! It's the La Cloche Silhouette Trail, a strenuous loop trail of 100 km. To walk this trail should take you about 7 to 10 days. I can't tell you if it's a good hike, because I haven't done it myself. Hahaha, I don't think I am ready for this yet, but maybe some day I am up to it :-) The hike is strenuous and is not recommended for novice hikers.

As an alternative you can hike of part of the trail starting from two trailheads in George Lake Campground. You can get all the info about this trail and all the other hiking trails at the park or on the parks website.

Hiking the La Cloche Silhouette Trail
    • National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Killarney Provincial Park

Comments

Explore Deeper into Killarney Provincial Park
Map of Killarney Provincial Park