Killarney Provincial Park Warnings and Dangers

• Camping at George Lake Campground in Killarney
    Camping at George Lake Campground in...
  • Camping at George Lake Campground in Killarney
    Camping at George Lake Campground in...
    Hiking on the Tar Vat Trail at Killarney

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Killarney Provincial Park

Camping in bear country

by sim1 Updated Jun 4, 2003

Camping in bear country...... hahaha, nope I didn't see this bear on the campground! I actually didn't see any bears at all in Killarney, but they are here, so it is something that you should be aware of!
    The chances of meeting a bear in the wild in Killarney Provincial Park are very rare, but you could meet up with a campground bear. Unfortunately these bears have lost their fears of humans due to feeding by people. Campground bears don't (or very rare) pose a danger to people, but they are a destructive nuisance when searching for human food or garbage. Here are some simple rules to prevent problems with these bears :
    * In campground and picnic area store all your food inside the closed trunk of your vehicle.
    * Never store food, cooking utensils or fragrant items like soap, toothpaste and deoderant in your tent.
    * Keep your campsite clean. Wash dishes after meals and don't forget to keep the barbeque clean.
    Hahaha, although I followed all these rules I still always feel a little bit on edge when I am camping in bearcountry. I wonder if this feeling will ever go away, LOL :-)

This picture of a bear was taken on my trip to the westcoast at Mount Robson.

• Camping

• sim1's Profile Photo

Difficult to get a campsite!

by sim1 Updated Jun 4, 2003

Camping at George Lake Campground in Killarney

I already mentioned it in my accomodations tip, but I think this deserve a seperate warning as well. Killarney Park has approx. 170 backcountry campsites and 126 campsites at the George Lake Campground, which is booked full for the busy summer months.
    Even now (in May) I've noticed that some weekends in July are already fully booked! So make sure you make your reservations well in advance!!! I went here in the beginning of June and the campsite was almost deserted, but in a week or two the campground will be full. So if you plan in going here, plan it well in advance, or do like me, go off-season.

• Camping

• sim1's Profile Photo

The trails aren't always so easy

by sim1 Updated Jun 24, 2003

Hiking on the Tar Vat Trail at Killarney

This page is under construction. Until now I've only uploaded the pictures, but I hope to add more info to this tip as soon as possible.

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Killarney Provincial Park

Comments

Killarney Provincial Park Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Killarney Provincial Park warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Killarney Provincial Park sightseeing.

View all Killarney Provincial Park hotels