Killbear Point Provincial Park Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Killbear Point Provincial Park

Lookout Trail

by mim95 Updated Jan 22, 2004

Lookout Trail - Killbear

Panoramic view of Georgian Bay from the lookout point of the Lookout Trail, after hiking for about half an hour. It has a great view of the Bay as the lookout is on the top of the hill, and it is also a great spot for lunch. But don't forget to take your garbage with you so that others can enjoy the park.

The trail is a 3.5km loop with moderate slopes.

Wildlife in the park

Pilated woodpeckers, Killbear

I've been to camping many times before, but this was the time when I saw the most wildlife, including a white tailed deer, 2 pilated woodpeckers, a patridge, and lots of chipmunks.

Tip: Get out early in the morning before the sunrise for the best viewing opportunities. Don't necessarily have to go on a hiking trail. Just look carefully, be quiet and you can spot them. I found most of the wildlife within steps from our campsite.

• Birdwatching

Colourful sunset

Sunset at Killbear

We watched the sunsets for two nights in a row on the rocks. No sunsets are the same. We were quite surprised of the beautiful sunset on one night, as we thought that there wasn't going to be a show because of the clouds. It was actually the clouds that brought out the colours!

The best place to watch the sunset is on the rocks outside of Beaver Dams Campground.

Magnificant scenery

Morning at Killbear

What a beautiful morning, the lake is calm like a mirror!

Tip: You can't see the sunrise from the horizon on this side of Geogian Bay, so it's ok to head out after the sun rises, but you'll see the sun comes up in between the trees and the calmness of the lake.

Lookout Point

by sim1 Updated Jun 10, 2003

Lots of these plants at Lookout Point, hahaha, I just loved the flowers so that's why I took the photo. Now where can I buy that book that tells me exactly what kind of plant this is?! LOL :-)

Another big thank you to Glenn (Bwana_Brown) for giving me the answer and letting me know that this is a Staghorn Sumac tree.
    The small tree is native to the northeastern United States and southern Canada. Native American Indians used to make a lemonade-like drink from its crushed fruit. The bark and foliage are rich with tannen, and where used for that in the olden days.

Holes?

by sim1 Updated Jun 10, 2003

Now who/what has been at work here? A nice little pattern of holes in this treetrunk. I am always curious what insect or animal did this and why. Hmmm.... the guilty one clearly didn't want to have his picture taken, hahaha, I didn't spot any activity anymore.....

Okay, I've got the answer! Thanks Glenn (Bwana_Brown) for helping me out with this one! The holes were created by a type of woodpecker known as the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (there is also a Red-bellied version). As the name suggests, they are more into sap than insects, just like those maple sugar people!

Sailing

Just before I turned around to walk back to the car I saw this sailboat coming out of the harbour. It looked so picturesque with its white sail on the blue water and the rocky coastline. Sigh.... wish I was on that sailboat! I love to sail, but haven't done it in a long time.

• Sailing and Boating

coastline of Killbear Park

I just loved walking on these rocks, walking further and further, exploring more and more. Unfortunately my time was limited. I had to drive home that day, and it was still a long drive to go. So I couldn't stay as long as I wanted.

coastline of Killbear Park

The coastline of Killbear Park is beautiful. It's located in the Georgean Bay. The rocks coming out of the water are beautiful of colour and there are some scatered trees growing on the rocky surface

Along the coast of Killbear Park

Along the coast of Killbear Park

The last part of Killbear Park I want to show you, is not a hiking trail, but a beautiful stretch of coast : the beach at Harold point campground. Climb from there on the rocks, and you have a beautiful view!

Aaah, this was my memory of Killbear Park... sitting on this rock, enjoying the sunset, the soothing sound of the water washing up against the shore, and the warmth of the sun. Mmmm, not such a beautiful warm day like I had this time, but still wonderful memories to think back to. This was 5 years ago, in 1997... and now, 5 years later, Killbear is just as beautiful as I can remember. It was great to be here again. There was some disappointment in this park. I am not such a fan of the beaches, and certainly not if they are crowded. And this time it was the weekend, and the park was very crowded! So instead of enjoying the beach like any other, I tried to avoid this area. Hmmm, and the hike to the lighthouse is certainly something I wouldn't reccomend doing. Instead go walk on these rocks, or hike to lookout point! I am sure you will have a great time!

View from Lookout Point

View from Lookout Point

Aaah, this picture doesn't do the view from Lookout Point justice at all!!! I hope that the photos with my 'normal' camera turn out much better. Because the view from here is gorgeous!!!

Berries

by sim1 Updated Jun 5, 2003

I really need to buy myself a book with all the native plants of Ontario. I love what I see, but I have no clue what it actually is. Anyway.... you can see these bushes with the berries quite a bit on this trail.

Leaf

by sim1 Updated Jun 5, 2003

Just a little detail I saw, this beautiful green leaf laying on the ground. Hahaha, I just loved the contrast between the fresh green leaf and it's beautiful shape, laying on top of the old rotten leaves.

Second hike : Lookout point trail

Lookout point trail

Now lets move on to the second hike! Aaah, this one was much better! It is the lookout point trail. It is an easy hike, about 3,5 kilometers long and takes you through the forest, wetland areas (watch out for those mosquitos here!) up to lookout point. From here you have wonderful view over the Georgian Bay!

The lighthouse

by sim1 Updated Jun 5, 2003

Aaah, finally the lighthouse :-))
    As maybe many of you know, I have something with lighthouses. And I even built a page about it. It used to be here on VT, but I've moved it to my own website. Here is the address if you are interested in taking a look at it :

This lighthouse is from 1904 and it was used to guide lake freighters and passenger ships into Parry Sound.

Instant Answers: Killbear Point Provincial Park

Comments

Killbear Point Provincial Park Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Killbear Point Provincial Park things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Killbear Point Provincial Park sightseeing.

View all Killbear Point Provincial Park hotels