Lake Superior Provincial Park Travel Guide

Lake Superior Provincial Park Things to Do

• l_riva_l's Profile Photo
    Woody Woodpecker and girlfriend

by l_riva_l Updated May 29, 2005

Pileated Woodpeckers are true wilderness birds that are seldom seen by people. This pair are foraging on the shoulder of the road.

• Buttercup7's Profile Photo

by Buttercup7 Written Feb 25, 2003

Ancient rock paintings on the shores of Lake Superior. A bit of a hike to get to, but well worth it.

• Buttercup7's Profile Photo

by Buttercup7 Written Feb 25, 2003

Absolutely gorgeous scenery. Go camping, hiking, swimming (though it is a little chilly in some spots). See if you can find the face in the cliff at Old Woman Bay - check out the picture.

• Cycling

Lake Superior Provincial Park Transportation

Map

by sim1 Updated Dec 7, 2002

Access
    Directions: Lake Superior Park's north entrance is 15 km south of Wawa and its south entrance, 100 km south of Wawa and 130 km north of Sault Ste Marie, on Trans Canada Highway 17.

Distance from nearest major urban centres 130 km north of Sault Ste. Marie

Lake Superior Provincial Park What to Pack

Lake Superior Provincial Park

by sim1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear:
    As you could read in my warning tip it's best to avoid being bitten by mosquitos because of the West Nile Virus. Here are some useful tips to reduce the risk of being bitten by mosquitos :
    Pack light coloured and long-sleeved clothing that includes long sleeved shirts or jackets, long pants, shoes, and tuck pants into socks for extra protection. Hahaha, as you could see in these pictures I hadn't read all these advices myself yet! But I will use them next time!
    I found out the hard way that it's best to wear loose-fitting clothes made of tightly woven materials that keep mosquitoes away from skin. Sigh.... they bit me right through my shirt and pants during one of my hikes :-( I also discovered as long as I kept moving the mosquito problem was bearable. But the moment I stood still to take a picture or have a break, they were zooming all around me ready to attack.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies:
    Besides the right clothing it is necesarry to use insect repellent. Use a federally regulated insect repellent containing DEET when mosquitoes are biting. Adults may use an insect repellent that contains no greater than 30% DEET and no greater than 10% for children. Apply the repellent to exposed skin, and clothing as well, because mosquitoes may bite through fabric. Do not apply repellent under clothing. If you don't like to use a repellent containing DEET there are some alternatives on the market. I have no clue how effective those are though.

Another good tip is to limit the use of colognes, perfumes, and scented body lotions that can attract mosquitoes and other biting insects.

Miscellaneous:
    Ontario Parks has a special section about the mosquitos and West Nile Virus on it's website. You can find lots more info and answer to many questions on this website :

I have been concentrating on the mosquitos in this tip, hahaha, but I forgot to mention those irritating black flies! Phew, those know how to bite you as well! But luckely they can't give you West Nile Virus. If you use these tips mentioned above you'll be protected against the black flies as well.

It all may sound very complicated and not inviting to go to the parks, but please don't let this stop you. The bugs are irritating, but with these few simple precautions I am sure you will have a fantastic time and it will be safe to visit :-)

• National/State Park
    • Camping

• sim1's Profile Photo
    What to bring on your camping trip

by sim1 Updated Jun 3, 2003

Luggage and bags:
    When you go on a day hike it's good to take a few things along with you.
    * First of all the bug repellent (see the next tip for more info).
    * Sunscreen! The sun can be suprisingly strong and a sunburn is easily caught.
    * Water! Hahaha, when you've done a climb uphill you certainly get thirsty. So bring plenty of water for your hike. Never use the water in the park but use bottled water.
    * A park map and a trail guide. Mostly the trails are marked quite well, but it's always great to have a map and/or a trail guide with you so you keep track of where you are and how far you still have to go. The trail guides are mostly available at the start of the hike, but sometimes you have to buy them at the campground store.
    * Bring some snacks! During a hike I always get very hungry and it's great to have something to eat or snack during the hike or on a break. I always have some candy, apple or sandwich with me.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies:
    It's wise to bring a first aid kit on your hike...... hmmm.... I have to admit that I am guilty of not bringing this with me myself, but I think it is better if you would. I do have my plasters with me in case I get blisters on my feet. When I feel I get one I always use them to protect it from getting worse.

Photo Equipment:
    Okay, this one is obvious... bring your camera and film! And lots of it! When you have a digital don't forget to bring some spare batteries and maybe extra memory cards to store you photos. I've made a separate tip on the photo equipment I use, so take a look there if you are interested in reading more about it.

Miscellaneous:
    Besides bringing water on your hike, also make sure to have plenty of bottled water with you for on your campsite. In a lot of the parks the water isn't of drinking quality. If you do want to use this water make sure you boil the water for at least 5 minutes. A lot of parks have a boil water order in effect. When this is the case you will be informed by the park with signs at the water taps. An easy moment that you forget about this rule is while brushing your teeth, so don't rinse your mouth with the campground water! The good news is that the parks are working on it to solve the problems.

• Camping

• Lake Superior Provincial Park Hotels

0 Hotels in Lake Superior Provincial Park

Lake Superior Provincial Park Favorites

by sim1 Written Sep 20, 2002

Favorite thing: Under construction

We made a trip with a camper from Toronto to Vancouver. Wow, what a distance, but what a beautiful trip! One of the wonderful surprises was Lake Superior. We only stayed in Lake Superior Provincial Park for one night, but I would love to go back here!

Instant Answers: Lake Superior Provincial Park

Comments

Lake Superior Provincial Park Travel Guide
Map of Lake Superior Provincial Park