Dufferin Islands Nature Preserve
Dufferin Islands Nature Preserve is just 1 mile upstream of the falls. It's a peaceful place with footpaths leading from little island to island. A picnic area is provided complete with grills for Bar-B-Queing.
Parking is free. It's worth a stop for a look around. I saw people fishing as well as picnicing. The are also quite a variety of waterfowl in the park.
Fishing is allowed in the park, but it is catch and release only.
Niagara Parkway, Niagara Falls, Ontario.Related to:
- National/State Park
- Adventure Travel
The Welland Canal - a great wonder
How is it possible to lift ships up and over the cliff face of the Niagara Escarpment?
Not only is this done on a routine basis, but the technology is so simple that ships have been routinely hoisted up and down the escarpment for over 150 years. Let gravity and water do the work. The locks are filled and emptied by water flowing downhill from Lake Erie toward Lake Ontario.
Anne and I spent an hour here watching a huge ship come up the canal and float into the lock. The giant doors at the stern of the ship closed, the water started filling the lock and the ship rose. when the lock was full, the doors at the bow of the ship opened and the ship sailed off into the distance.
Lock 3 Complex-St.Catharines is located On Government Road north of Glendale Ave.The centre features an observation platform, full service restaurant and the St.Catharines Museum. The complex is open all year although ships only transit the canal from March to December. A quality souvenir store, food concession, patio area and information centre are all on site.
- Budget Travel
- Adventure Travel
- Road Trip
Niagara Wine Tour
For 86.00 Canadian you can take a wine tour by Niagara Airbus. The tour includes pick up and drop off at your hotel. You can select different packages. Ours included three wineries, lunch at the Shaw Cafe in Niagara On the Lake and time for shopping . It is well worth the money and Niagara On The Lake is a beautiful town.Related to:
- Wine Tasting
Eat Fresh Bio Apples
Due to construction work in the central district , we had to take a side road through some gardens to get to the parking lot. It turned out those are used to grow sweet apple. We had apples for lunch and it was so yummy. If you re there in the apple season dont miss a try.
Take a minute for a sight
Not far away from the village, you find a park, where the old Canada's capital laid several years ago. Now only a monument and a few buildings rememorate that, and some guide telling the "White" house story... but instead of the stones or monuments, I prefer to use this picture to remember the place, looking at the Ontario lake, with Toronto somewhere over the horizon...Related to:
- Adventure Travel
Fireworks over the Falls - in...
Fireworks over the Falls - in the summer on Fridays at 10 pm, and on some Sundays. Very special to watch fireworks over the illuminated waterfalls. Don't have any photos, since they don't turn out when you are too far away.
The falls are the center of...
The falls are the center of everyone's attention, but, as you can imagine with all that water in the air, the plant life thrives. Be sure to look out for the plantings on the way to and around the visitor center on the Canadian side of the Falls. The orange flowered 'tree' is, in fact, marigolds!
Around the Falls in the winter
While everyone is there to look at the waterfalls themselves, the mist accreting on trees and manmade structures near the Falls creates an unexpected bonus...Related to:
St Patrick's Roman Catholic Church
A local church (1858) offering services in the Catholic faith at Victoria Ave and Queen St. (4673 Victoria Ave).
Masses: Sat: 5:00 p.m.
Sun: 8:00; 9:30; 11:30 a.m. 7:00 p.m.Related to:
- Religious Travel
Niagara Falls Hotels
When I say perfect location, I dont think you can get better then this! The rooms have an awesome...more
We stayed at this hotel for two nights last month. It is conveniently located on Fallsview Boulevard...more
Stayed here in the summer of 2005 for a night away. It's a little further away from the falls, but...more
Latest Niagara Falls Hotel Reviews
- Sheraton Fallsview Hotel And Conference Center
- Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 13 Reviews
- Brock Plaza Hotel
- Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 5 Reviews
- Great Wolf Lodge Niagara Falls
- Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews
- Tower Hotel at Fallsview Niagara Falls
- Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
- Comfort Inn Clifton Hill Niagara Falls
- Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews
- The Oakes Hotel Overlooking The Falls
- Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
- Four Points by Sheraton Niagara Falls Fallsview
- Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 21 Reviews
- Marriott Niagara Falls Fallsview Hotel & Spa
- Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 12 Reviews
- Americana Resort And Spa
- Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
- Sheraton On The Falls
- Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
- Doubletree Fallsview Resort & Spa by Hilton Niagara Falls
- Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 8 Reviews
Explore the World
- Mono City Hotels
- Kelawai Hotels
- Canovanas Hotels
- Saint-Gilles-les Bains
- Ostseebad Binz
- Sevana Lich Hotels
- Jamaica Off The Beaten Path
- Nashville Off The Beaten Path
- Charleston Off The Beaten Path
- Toronto Off The Beaten Path
- Alabama Off The Beaten Path
- Crete Island Off The Beaten Path
- San Francisco Off The Beaten Path
- New York City Off The Beaten Path
- Quebec Off The Beaten Path
- Vermont Off The Beaten Path
- Salt Lake City Off The Beaten Path
- Lexington Off The Beaten Path