Behind the Falls, Niagara Falls

by GentleSpirit
    Journey Behind the Falls
    by kris-t
  • VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Behind the Falls--wet and wild!

by VeronicaG Updated Jun 16, 2008

Behind the Falls was another scheduled stop on our list of things to do, so the tour filled our needs perfectly! The shuttle took us to an area where we joined the other groups of people identically dressed in yellow slickers. We were the "yellow slicker people"--- most of us looking like demented yellow ducks.

Looking beyond our silly appearance, this tour took us down a level where tunnels opened to a very close view of the Falls. Water sprayed everywhere and anywhere--the reason for the slickers! One of these platformed areas was tiered and permitted a very wet examination of the Falls. It was a hot day, so the sprinkling was welcome.

There was a big crowd, but the line went quickly so don't be discouraged if you see hoards of people here!

Hours vary with the season. Admission is $8 for Adults, $6 for children 6-12 and free for children 5 and under.

• dtownkitty's Profile Photo

UP CLOSE - JOURNEY BEHIND THE FALLS

by dtownkitty Written Jul 28, 2005

JOURNEY BEHIND THE FALLS

Journey Behind The Falls takes you in an elevator down near the bottom of the falls where you walk through tunnels to view the water cascading in front of you. There is a large observation deck where you can get very close to the edge of the horseshoe. Like on the Maid of the Mist, you are given a rain jacket. If you don't want to get wet , make sure you tie it tight! My 6 yr old niece went crazy, she enjoyed it so much. The water feels great, especially on a hot summer day! If you had to choose, however, I'd pick Maid of the Mist.

• kazander's Profile Photo

Journey Behind the Falls

by kazander Updated Jun 1, 2005

From behind Niagara Falls

We loved the Journey behind the Falls! This attraction is located at the Table rock visitor center next to the Canadian Falls. You take the elevator downstairs where you are given a very fashionable yellow plastic rain slicker to don. (at least it keeps you mostly dry) There are 2 tunnels to take. One takes you to 2 portals that are behind the falls, the other takes you to the viewing platforms right next to the falls. That is the place to go for really spectacular views. This is also the place where you get really wet! The mist coming from the powerfall falls is really drenching. Definately worth it though!

At the end of your tour you can recycle your yellow slicker if you do not wish to keep it as a souveneir

Admission: Adult $10.00, Child 6 to 12 years $6.00, 5 & under Free
    Schedule: Open Year Round
    Monday to Thursday 9:00am-8:30pm
    Friday, Saturday, Sunday 9:00am - 9:30pm

• K.Knight's Profile Photo

Journey Behind The Falls & Feel The Thunder

by K.Knight Written Jul 3, 2004

Looking behind the waterfall

An elevator took us 38 metres (150ft) deep under ground to the labrinth of tunnels and viewing portals that are located behind the waterfall. There were two outdoor observation decks that allowed us to get very close to the falls and very very wet (luckily we still had our Maid of the Mist raincoats)
    The facilities within the Table Rock Complex were excellent and included an ATM, restaurants, coffee shop, telephones, Information centre and a public transport (people mover) stop.
    Adults $10.00, Children 6 to 12 years $6.00, 5 & under Free. This attraction is open all year round.

• K.Knight's Profile Photo

Journey Beside The Falls & Feel The Thunder

by K.Knight Updated Jul 4, 2004

Turn it off!

On one of the two viewing decks that you can access on the "Journey behind the Falls" self guided tour.
    To feel the power of nature and hear the roar of the water as it thunders over the escarpment is an experience I will never forget
    Access is via the Table Rock complex that houses the tour desk, restaurants, first aid station, lost and found office, telephones etc. You can also hire lockers for the day, wheelchairs and strollers.

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo

Under the Falls!

by kentishgirl Updated Nov 4, 2004

under horseshoe falls

To go underneath the Falls is amazing.
    They are basically caves, which offer you a story of the falls and stunning views.

Very Touristy - but what is Niagara there for? I thoroughly enjoyed it.

In the evening (when I was there-Feb 99) they lit horseshoe falls - they glistened in all different colours.

The Power and The Glory!

by NC_Ziggy Updated Oct 15, 2005

Can You Feel & Hear It in this Picture?

Some views and experiences leave you breathless, and surely this is one of them for me! I can honestly say that I include this sight right up there on my most memorable visual memories along with the view of Paris from the Eiffle Tower, the view of the German Alps, and the recent view from the CN Tower. All were Awesome!

The sheer volume and force of the water as it cascades over the Falls is moving. Also noted, is the fact that the US is south of Canada, and yet the Falls go north! Ok, maybe I need to revisit a map or perhaps I missed Geography class on this particular day. Anyway, I think of the weirdest things sometimes... Recently, I wondered if the water picked up from the ocean during the brief hurricane and lingering storm Tammy was still salty as it was dumped on the East Coast as it did come from the ocean, right? See, I told you I was weird... Maybe now you will believe me! ;-) Oooops, off message... Go See Niagara Falls!

A View to the American Falls

The Itty-Bitty American Falls

I cannot truly say what the view is from this side of the Falls as I didn't cross the border into the US on this visit, but I can say that compared to the Canadian falls, the US falls do not seem so impressive. Also, I have been told that the US side is much more commercial (Big Surprise!) but again I can't speak to that. In defense of capitalism, I must also report that tourism and the money generated by it is an important part of any economy and Canada does it also, though I seem they do it very well here at the Falls.

I don't know why exactly... Well, on second thought, maybe I do! What I am trying to say is that if I had turned away from the Falls and had taken a picture, you would have seen large hotels and casinos. But, the wonder and beauty of the Falls kept me completely and totally immersed in their power and visual addiction! With a view like this, who wants to see hotels and casinos?

• NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo

On a Clear Day, You Will See a Rainbow!

by NC_Ziggy Updated Nov 19, 2005

Rainbow Over Niagara

I don't know why Robert Goulet comes to mind here, but he does! Ok, all together now... On A Clear Day, Rise and Look Around You! Ahem... sorry about that! What I am pleased to say is that on a clear, sunny day the mist and sun combine to provide a beautiful rainbow over the Falls. I suppose this is depending on the position of the sun, where you are standing, and other consequential factors. All I know is that at this place and time on this day, we were treated to a most spectacular rainbow, the sight of which is most amazing for the color and prism-like affect adorning the sky! Ahhh... Rainbows above Niagara Falls!

Who's Rainbow is it?

by NC_Ziggy Updated Oct 15, 2005

Maybe it joins Canada & the US?

Ok, I'm not trying to create an international incident, but remember me telling you that I think of the weirdest things? You remember, and you're still here? No comments about you then, but to those that missed it, you really should read more closely to protect yourself from bad influences!

My weird thought of this picture was, what if a war broke out over the ownership of the rainbow? It does seems to touch both US and Canadian shores and who owns the water between? Maybe this has been previously discussed and some agreement reached to share the beauty and wonder of the colors as it does seem to link the two countries more elegently than the bridges connecting the two! Don't you think? Maybe I'm just weirding out again... Sigh...

• challenger's Profile Photo

Journey Behind The Falls

by challenger Written Oct 2, 2004

Journey Behind The Falls

The Journey Behind The Falls brings you right to the edge and behind the Falls and is a truly amazing way to properly put the real power behind this natural phenomenon into perspective. Mind you: It is a little bit hard to fathom why – with an entrance fee of a little bit more than CA$10 – this little foot path is nearly on a par with the costs of a full ride on the Maid of the Mist, but it is still affordable and worth the admittance. After all: You may not be back again for a while, so no need to scrounge.

• buzzz's Profile Photo

You can only get so wet!!

by buzzz Written Aug 10, 2004

rod and sam enjoying the Falls

I would say to anyone visiting the Falls that they should do everything they can afford to do. We did the "Behind the Falls" experience. It was great standing next to all that power of the waterfall and the noise is something else.

• Water Sports

Cold Water!

Dark Water Becomes White Water

Did I mention that I think of the weirdest things? Ok, I think I have simply stated that I was weird and I guess that covers it all. So, continuing on this weird topic, I found it amazing how the deep, dark water above the falls changed colors as it was dispursed from a mass of water into a calvacade of lesser and lesser droplets! The mist was the after affect and rose above the Falls heights and almost appeared as a fog...

• AcornMan's Profile Photo

Behind the Falls

by AcornMan Written Apr 24, 2004

Behind the Horseshoe Falls

If you don't mind getting wet, you should definitely take the elevator down from the Table Rock Complex down to the lower observation level at the Horseshoe Falls. On the way down you can stop and view the Falls from behind, which gives you an interesting perspective on things.

• Martman's Profile Photo

Go BEHIND the falls!

by Martman Written Feb 4, 2006

My Aunt and Uncle. They look like ghosts here!

Among the attractions, is a tunnel behind the falls. I have done it twice. This is not a cheap attraction. I am nevertheless not sorry that I did this. One really feels the sense of the power of water.

Instant Answers: Niagara Falls

Comments

Hotels Near Behind the Falls
3.0 out of 5 stars