Safety Tips in Ottawa

outside the Church 2013-3-02
    by kenHuocj
  • 2013-3-01 Ice banks after graders cleared roads
    2013-3-01 Ice banks after graders...
    by kenHuocj
  • Raccoons WANT INTO the House,Ottawa,Canada.
    Raccoons WANT INTO the...
    by Greggor58

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Ottawa

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

No photos of US Embassy

by GrumpyDiver Written May 13, 2011

The US Embassy is located on Sussex Dr, a bit north of Rideau St. It is a very beautiful, modern building, but they don't like people taking pictures of it, especially from the front. Big burly men will not be happy if you try.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo

Why is the Seal Hunt allowed to continue ???

by kenHuocj Updated Apr 4, 2011

its is cruel and inhumane,
    it is subsidized by the Candaian Government

abetted by the Norwegian Company and government

see ww.stopthesealhunt.ca
    ww.protectseals.org

you'll be horrified
    dare to nake a difference,
    this is not toursim for the genteel ;-(((

one of 5000 slaughtered today

• janika's Profile Photo

Rules of the road

by janika Updated Apr 4, 2011

Rules of the Road, not only when you drive but also when you bike or walk. In order to preserve and protect our environment and practice common courtesy, we have to obey these rules and regulations.

This is not a danger tip. More like a warning or advise. No translation needed to understand Canadian signs. These two signs are located at a park entrance and tells you not to bring in pets or leave your bicycle out of this place. The sign at the left also indicates how much is the fine going to be in dollars once caught breaking the law. Please watch for these signs as you walk, bike or even drive. If not sure what they mean, ask anyone or check the City of Ottawa Web site. URL listed below. Thank you for your co-operation!

Park signs

• Greggor58's Profile Photo

Urban Wildlife...Part 2..

by Greggor58 Written Aug 7, 2010

DO NOT think that because these animals are CUTE that they cant be vicious..if you might be out for a late night walk and come across one or two or three of them prowling the streets looting garbage cans...DO NOT APPROACH them..

They can carry rabies and other diseases and they have sharp teeth and claws.When they feel threatened they will take the offensive and likely you wont come out the winner.

I recently awoke to the sound of my screen door on my bedroom being popped open..and its a really good thing that I had my inside door closed because I think they would have gotten into my house.A raccoon had managed to wiggle the screen free..

I looked and found not one but a total of four rummaging around in my backyard and on the landing outside of my bedroom..At one point three of them were standing on they're hind legs,noses pressed against the glass..THEY WANTED IN!!!

It actually reminded me of a "Chevy Chase" scene from one of his "classics", it was kind of funny actually

If you see these while you're visiting Ottawa... SERIOUSLY...dont approach them...walk in the opposite direction.

Raccoons WANT INTO the House,Ottawa,Canada. Raccoons WANT INTO the House,Ottawa,Canada.
    • Museum Visits

• Greggor58's Profile Photo

Urban Wildlife.....

by Greggor58 Updated Apr 4, 2008

I have to tell you that Ottawa provides fairly easy access to areas of wilderness and undeveloped forests and lands.
    As easy as it is for people to get into these areas....the same holds true for animals that are indigenous to this region.They have access to the city!

It is not totally unusual to read or hear in the local news media, reports of moose or bear that have wandered undisturbed into our sleepy little neighborhoods...ummmm sorry....I dont have pics of these guys in the city...
    I have myself once seen an adult bull moose freaked out running down a really busy four lane arterial road in the city's South end.
    The first choice when responding to these situations is to capture and release back into the wild.

As well there is a HEALTHY population of other more common wildlife that make Ottawa they're home also.Racoons,fox,rabbit and many types of squirrels as well as groundhogs live quite easily here as well as quite a large variety of birds.

There is even a Perrigrine Falcon pair that started to nest on the top of a hotel downtown in 1997.They or offspring are still nesting there every year.
    Check out this link....you might have to cut and paste....but there is also a link for a live webcam..

I caught this duck one morning outsside my kitchen window while makingcoffee one morning a couple of years ago....you can just imagine....shaking my head....double take...and rubbing my eyes wondering if I was still asleep warm and comfy in my bed!

Peeping Duck,Ottawa,Ontario,Canada. Burgler....Jamie's attic...Ottawa,Ontario,Canada.

• Getting to Ottawa

by mulan123 Written Nov 14, 2007

My advice is don't fly to Ottawa or anywhere else in Canada using "Canadian Affair". I flew with them in June of last year and it was a nightmare. I turned up on time for my return flight from Ottawa international airport to London Gatwick only to be told that the company had oversold on their tickets so they bumped me off the flight along with 14 other passengers.
    They arranged a flight back with another airline AirCanada, which was much better by the way, and this was 12--yes 12--hours later. We had to wait. They did not apologise and were very rude about it.
    I wrote to them to complain as I missed my coach back home from London. They offered me a measly £22 compensation for my inconvenience. Not a refund for the flight, vouchers or anything even though I pressed them. DON'T fly Canadian Affair. They have a bumping policy--read the small print. I didn't and got screwed!

• Study Abroad
    • Business Travel

• oceania26's Profile Photo

Street Soliciting

by oceania26 Written Jan 23, 2007

I was surprised at the number of people begging for money in the streets of Ottawa...most were fairly well dressed. Also a number of them (mostly young kids) persistently call after you, even though you are clearly trying to ignore them.

Not really a danger, more of an annoyance...and surprise.

• bicycle_girl's Profile Photo

Do not feed the wildlife!

by bicycle_girl Written Jul 10, 2006

Wild animals are just that: wild. They know how to feed themselves and don't need to get used to human feeding them: first they would become obese, but also they start become agressive since they know humans have the food. Keep those french fries for yourself, and just take a picture should you be lucky enough to see some canadian creature.

marmot showing teeth!
    • Photography
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Hiking and Walking

• MissAntarctica2002's Profile Photo

I protest!

by MissAntarctica2002 Written Jul 3, 2005

Being Canada's Capital, Ottawa, and especially Parliament Hill, attract a lot of protests of every description. When we visited in May 2005 there were several protests going on. Most notably, one day the street in front of Parliament Hill was completely blocked for several hours because of hundreds of tractors parked there by farmers in protest.

I wouldn't classify any of the protesting activity that I saw as dangerous, but I would warn you to be on the lookout since they can sometimes disrupt things or put a serious snarl into traffic. On the other hand, if it is a cause that moves you, perhaps you want to join in!

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

Tour Warning!

by jamiesno Updated Oct 27, 2004

I was warned to stay away from the Amphibian Tours. I beleive the name of the company was Canada Ducks Inc.

You will see in the picture the tour takes place in a vehicle that can tour the street and then ventures into the Rideau Canal for a two in one type of deal.

Problem is a couple of years back one of these vehicles sunk and the canopy on top trapped several passengers and there were reported deaths.

To be safe I went on a double decker city tour and a larger boat tour in the water. They may very well be safer today but worth asking a question about just to make sure, I know they are extremely popular so you can probably relax and enjoy the experience.

Canal Tour

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo

when VTers get together....

by kenHuocj Written Aug 26, 2002

when VTers get together. EGGSPECTAIONS are that visitors including REVEREND ones like Scott from Vermont who insist on lexing his huge baseball bat over all ;-((( === 'ronaldpk' comes flashing the S Africa flag via NYC === 'Le Dragon' - Yvon with the southern Quebec humour ===Cosmopolitan 'Pierre_Rouss' - Pierre who kindly chauffered the group from Montreal, not forgetting === 'sofa' - Sophie for adding the feminine touch.
    ***** for 'europebn' - Brandon fo initiating the get together

• Mauswara's Profile Photo

Except on Canada Day, be...

by Mauswara Written Aug 25, 2002

Except on Canada Day, be warned that fun can be difficult to find in Ottawa. Much entertainment and even some culture exists in Ottawa, but it lurks well beneath Ottawa's tidy, staid surface. Do your homework before going.

Ottawa Hotels

Days Inn Ottawa Airport
Carleton University Tour and Conference Centre
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Ottawa

Comments

Ottawa Warnings and Dangers

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Ottawa locals.
Map of Ottawa