Pembroke Travel Guide

On the waterfront in Pembroke.
    by Regina1965
    The City Hall - former Post-Office.
    by Regina1965
  • By the waterfront, an Indian with a canoe.
    By the waterfront, an Indian with a...

Pembroke Things to Do

• Regina1965's Profile Photo

by Regina1965 Updated Jun 2, 2011

Beside City Hall by the main-street in down-town Pembroke is the War Memorial with the eternal flame. It was originally created for WW1 but an additional memorial was added for WW2.

I always stop by War Memorials when travelling abroad, here in Iceland we have not got War Memorials, but in every little town in Iceland there is a monument for drowned fishermen, and I stop by them as well when travelling in Iceland.

The War Memorial. The War Memorial and the eternal flame. The War Memorial.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo

by Regina1965 Updated Jun 2, 2011

While walking in Pembroke we walked down to the Ottawa river. This little town has got quite a lovely waterfront, and two rivers, the Ottawa river and the Muskrat river. It is applaudible how well the citizens of Pembroke have taken care of their waterfront, with a lot of historical signs with old photos of what it used to look like.

As you can see from my photos each plank (please, English speaking people help me with the right word) has a number and a name on it, from 1 (see my photo) up to several thousand, so I gather each one of the inhabitants gave one of the planks (?) to construct a waterfront. Correct me if I am wrong, this is what I would imagine.

Sitting there on a bench in a small town in the sunshine, with lots of people resting there, taking a stroll with their dogs, dogs swimming in the river - had a very relaxing effect on me, maybe small towns would be for me? Reykjavík is maybe not small enough...?

By the waterfront, an Indian with a canoe. 504-506 of thousands. Dogs swimming in the river in the heat. 1-2 of thousands of donations? A lot of very useful historical signs.

• Pembroke Hotels

4 Hotels in Pembroke

Pembroke Hotels

• Comfort Inn Pembroke

959 Pembroke St E, Pembroke, ON K8A3M3

Satisfaction: Very Good

Good for: Solo

• Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference...

1 International Drive, Pembroke, K8A 6X9, Canada

• Travelodge Pembroke

900 Pembroke St E, Pembroke, ON K8A3M2

• Econo Lodge Pembroke

1218 Pembroke Street East, Pembroke, K8A 7R9, Canada

Good for: Business

Instant Answers: Pembroke

Comments

Pembroke Travel Guide
Map of Pembroke