Places to eat in Province of Ontario

• Restaurants
    by kemisteryoso
    Full rack of BBQ Ribs
    by LoriPori
  • ready for a healthy snack or into the salad
    ready for a healthy snack or into the...
    by kenHuocj

Most Viewed Restaurants in Province of Ontario

• kris-t's Profile Photo

Tim Hortons: Since 1964

by kris-t Updated Dec 3, 2011

Pastry, donuts, coffee (sorry but it's "brown wather" :)) )

You couldn't find some espresso here, american coffee only, but donuts are pretty good.

Favorite Dish: Tim Hortons (or Timmy) is the largest quick service restaurant chain in Canada.

brown water :)

• KittyLou's Profile Photo

St. Hubert: "Mr. Chicken"

by KittyLou Updated Apr 4, 2011

There are a hundred or so St. Hubert restaurants located in Quebec, Ontario and New Brunswick. My most reccent visit was to the Cornwall franchise. I love the rotissery chicken and sauce at St. Hubert's. Table service fast food!

R.J. Rooster is the trademark's name, but I always call out "Mr. Chicken" when I see the roof or a delivery vechicle approaching.

Favorite Dish: Quarter chicken breast meal

• Excaper's Profile Photo

Shipman's, Glen House Resort: Food Good, Service Unbearable

by Excaper Updated Apr 4, 2011

When we arrive for dinner, we ask if they have an outdoor area or a “bar” section where we can smoke and also be served dinner. The hostess tells us there is no patio (although one is clearly visible through the windows) but we are welcome to have dinner in the bar. We are seated in the bar area and my husband approaches the bar to ask if we can be seated on the outdoor patio instead. It is then that we are told by the bartender, in no uncertain terms, that we will not be served dinner in the bar because there is no one there to serve us (she, apparently, does not really work there and does not allow the other staff into the bar for some reason). While she and the hostess fought, my husband and I stood there not knowing whether to sit down and have a drink, or run for the nearest Burger King on the 401. Finally, the hostess tells us that we will be seated in the dining room.

Favorite Dish: I ordered French onion soup and pasta with spicy Italian sausage. My husband ordered the seafood chowder and the Surf ‘n’ Turf. Both our appetizers and our entrées were very good! They served hot fresh bread which was wonderful!! The lobster was a little tough but we had just spent two weeks eating lobster fresh out of the ocean in PEI, Nova Scotia, and Maine – I didn’t feel it was fair to compare! There was a salad bar, which we did try a little, but not much. One thing that we noted as odd is that the pasta salad and potato salad were both of the Loblaws’ deli variety. Other food seemed good.

During our meal, the waitress promised to bring water but it was not provided until we were almost finished our entrées. I was only given one knife that was returned to me after I had used it for bread and then for my appetizer to be used as my dinner fork. That wasn’t too bad because other patrons did not have any utensils and did not get any until well after their dinners were served. Likewise with napkins. The entire dining room staff acted as if this were the first time they had ever worked in a restaurant and they didn’t have a clue what they were doing. For us, it was not nearly a bad as some others we could hear.

• Beaches
    • Spa and Resort

Kentucky Fried Chicken & a doughnut shop: Scraping the bottom of the barrel

by Bwana_Brown Updated Aug 8, 2009

After another long day of driving (600-km) and exploring the magnificent shores of Lake Superior, it was about 6 PM by the time we turned up at our pre-booked accommodations in Nipigon as we finished Day 5 of our trip. Nipigon turned out to be a bit smaller than I expected - but that could be because we never actually reached the 'downtown' area. When we went searching for a place to eat in the community next-door to our motel, we were not able to find anything at all and a couple of the locals said that everything is located alongside the Trans-Canada Highway. When we checked their advice out, all we could find was this Esso gasoline station (very close to our motel) which also included fast-food joints Robins Donuts (breakfast) and Pizza Hut/Kentucky Fried Chicken (lunch/dinner).

Favorite Dish: We topped the car up once more for the next segment and then asked the staff if there were any salads left at the Pizza Hut section - no. That left us with only KFC, so we ordered their medium Buffalo Wings (US$9) with french fries to take back to our room. The next morning, we were back once more at their Robins Donuts section where we were able to order a couple of breakfast sandwiches to go with some hot water for our decaf tea. At least this place allowed us to make it through our evening and morning meals! As we then continued further west along the highway, we very soon came to more gasoline stations with better choices regarding attached restaurants (this area is a major stop-over point for truckers making cross-country trips). I guess I had already had my fill of driving the night before - so Nipigon is not as bad as I make it sound!

Where we gassed-up and filled-up

Boston Pizza: We finally had some luck

by Bwana_Brown Updated Aug 3, 2009

After arriving in the small city of Kenora, near Ontario's western border, at about 5 PM we very soon set out to find a restaurant after checking-in at our motel. The best we could do on this fine Sunday evening was a Boston Pizza located close to the harbour in downtown Kenora. However, quite a few people had the same idea and there was a waiting time of about 20 minutes. After putting our names in the queue we headed down to the waterfront for a look around, taking this view of the city as we strolled out on a large floating dock.

Favorite Dish: Time passed quickly and we were soon seated at a table in this busy restaurant. There is a wide menu choice available but we quite quickly settled on our items, with Sue trying their Lemon Baked Salmon - a tender wild salmon filet baked with fresh lemon juice and served with wok-steamed seasonal vegetables and garden greens with a low-fat raspberry vinegrette (US$15.50). I liked the sound of the small version of their Cajun Shrimp pizza with creamy garlic and sun-dried tomato sauce, cajun shrimp, mozzarella and crumbled feta cheese and topped with fresh chopped tomato and cilantro (US$15). With a glass of Sauvignon Blanc, a pint of Rickard's white beer and a tip our meal came to US$52. Both dishes were excellent but even a small pizza was too much for me, so we took the remainders back to our motel room which had a mini-refrigerator - the leftovers made a good snack for the final leg of our trip in the morning!

Boston Pizza located near red Shoppers Drug bldg Our cajun shrimp pizza and baked salmon filet

Bali Restaurant: A taste of Asia

by Bwana_Brown Updated Aug 2, 2009

We had not been doing too well with gourmet eating so far on the first three nights of our trip west, so we thought we would make a proper stab at it in Sault Ste. Marie, since it is a relatively large city for that part of Ontario. After driving to the old downtown area we undertook a little stroll and were advised by one of the locals that we should give the new Bali Restaurant a go - said it was the best in town. We did not have any problem locating it, just a few blocks down the main street from where we had seen the live band performing.

Favorite Dish: The Bali Restaurant was not very busy when we sat down at about 8 PM but we were surprised to be served by a young Indonesian lad - he was very good though (even though his mother/cook had to deliver any alcoholic beverages to the tables due to liquour laws!). They had quite an extensive menu but I settled on Spareribs with Bali Asam sauce & brocolli on the side while Sue decided to have Chicken Sticks with Chinese satay sauce with a mix of green/red peppers and onion (both meals with mild spice and each costing ~US$8). We also had two bowls of white rice as well as a glass of Bianco Seco dry white wine for Sue and two bottles of Chinese Tsing Tao beer for me (~$4 per drink).

We shared a few pieces of our meals and I found the flavours of both to be excellent (but even the 'mild' version was bringing tears to my eyes), even if there were parts of both dishes that were too tough to eat. That bothered Sue, on a skewer she expects to get only the best pieces of meat - not something to be chewed on. Because I was happy with the meal and Sue was not, I rate this restaurant as average. With a tip, the total cost of the meal came to ~US$38.

Our dinner feast awaits View toward kitchen area (left) and rear entrance

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

The Fish & Chip Place: Fast and cheap too!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Aug 2, 2009

At the end of our very nice day exploring the Bruce Peninsula, it was about 7 PM in Tobermory before we decided that we had better start thinking about an evening meal. Actually, we had walked past The Fish & Chip Place restaurant with its outdoor seating on one of our earlier walks along the waterfront - and it had stuck in our minds.

Favorite Dish: However, beacause we were enjoying sitting on the elevated outdoor deck at our Innisfail B&B so much, we decided to just get a simple take-out meal and return to the B&B. It worked great since the restaurant was only a three-minute walk away and our actual order (placed at a little take-out window at the rear) was prepared in less than ten minutes. We shared our single order of fish and chips, complete with vinegar, ketchup and tartar sauce while sipping wine as we gazed out over Tobermory harbour. It was a great end to an excellent day, especially since the weather had cooperated with us for this one day when we actually did some real hiking. The meal only cost about US$9.

Street view of the restaurant & it's patio Shared fish & chips on our B&B deck

Lion's Head Inn: Nice break after a hike

by Bwana_Brown Updated Aug 2, 2009

Following our very enjoyable hike along the Bruce Trail to the majestic cliffs overlooking Georgian Bay, we eventually found ourselves back in the small community of Lion's Head. By then, it was about 1:30 PM and we had worked up a bit of a thirst from our exertions. The Lion's Head Inn looked very appealing, so we quickly found ourselves a table on their outdoor deck.

Favorite Dish: Service was fast and we soon had a delicious Bruschetta (with tomatoes, onions and cheese) to share. Sue had a glass of white wine while I went for more bulk by ordering a pint of cold Rickards Red beer. We just sat enjoying the sunshine and a nice breeze for about an hour before we headed further north on the Bruce Peninsula, headed for a lighthouse near Dyer's Bay. With a tip, the cost of the meal and drinks was US$26.

Attached outside deck and our parked grey car The Inn's welcoming sign Our bruschetta and drinks A zoom shot of Lion's Head taken from Bruce bluffs

Lake of Two Rivers: A tree-root in Algonquin Provincial Park

by Bwana_Brown Updated Aug 2, 2009

It was almost 2 PM by the time we stopped for our first lunch, after setting out from Ottawa to begin our exploration of parts of Ontario that we had never before seen. By then we had entered the very popular Algonquin provincial park and the beach/picnic area at Lake of Two Rivers looked very appealing in the warm sunshine.

Favorite Dish: Knowing that we had a lot of driving to do, we actually bought two submarine sandwiches (to go) from a Subway restaurant in the little village of Barry's Bay, located about 50-km from the entrance to Algonquin. We both chose turkey with tomatoes, cukes, lettuce, red onion, olives, cheddar cheese with chipotle sauce on 9-grain buns ($US9 for two). They tasted great but went down very quickly once we reached the Lake of Two Rivers picnic and beach area in the Park.

We did something similar three days later, buying the sandwiches in Wawa and then eating them as we drove the next stretch to Marathon on the coast of Lake Superior.

Submarine sandwich & a bottle of water
    • National/State Park

• HalCarim's Profile Photo

Apple Betty's: Best Apple Pie near the 401

by HalCarim Updated Aug 26, 2007

A perfect informal coffeehouse/restaurant off the 401 on your way between Toronto and Montreal just East of Highway 31 intersection on Highway 2 at Riverside heights serving the best homemade apple pie

Favorite Dish: The picture tells it all...

Fresh off the Oven at Apple Betty's

• krzychk78's Profile Photo

Chez-Nous Variety: Don't miss out on any of our FAVORITES around town

by krzychk78 Written Aug 17, 2007

It's most popular with deliveries around Timmins, Ontario. They have their riches with their Quebec Poutine with the "squeeecky" cheeze curds and thick gravy that can keep the heat to melt as your devouring the Poutine in just a few mouthfuls you can feel it in the bottom of your hollowed gut that you can't seem to be able to put it aside until its empty!

So as your visiting Timmins, Ontario Plez find out your own opinion and share it here I love to see what I'm missing out on and find what keeps me here to have such Hospitality from the peers behind the counter whether your standing at the take out counter or at the variety store within there doors! Loads of delecacies and its as your order is placed and they chat as they cook it! Talk about friendly service!! No matter what mood these peers are in as they talk to there costomers they always cary a smile high upon there faces!!

Showing I.D. for cigarettes is a must here, and if you happen to get caught you lost your prevelage to the restaurant and variety store unless contacted by phone for delivery!!!

So drop on by and give me your own opinion I realy like to read as I've said before, it's wurth the trip regardless where your from it's always warm at CHEZ-NOUS VARIETY on the cornner of Vimy and Mountjoy North(before being MacLean drive)! If you get that far its in my opinion that every time I step foot there I'm walking grandmas place the sweet smell at the candy counter and the smell of the gravy boilling on the stove for there first order at lunch!!

Good travels my friends! til we talk again!!

Favorite Dish: friday night fish special, quebec poutine wednesday night special, and monday burgers special!

melt in your mouth as the heat of the think gravy melts on your tongue!

Try it!! You'll never understand til you go for yourself!!

BONNE APPETY!!!

• Business Travel
    • Camping

• bkathryn's Profile Photo

Hoito: Go to the Hoito

by bkathryn Written May 22, 2007

The Hoito seems to be a bit of an institution in Thunder Bay. Several people I know in Ottawa all suggested going to the Hoito when I mentioned I would be in Thunder Bay. It's an interesting combination of restaurant and social network and reflects the large Finnish population in Thunder Bay. It also has great pancakes!

Favorite Dish: The pancakes. Also great coffee.

The Hoito, Thunder Bay, Ontario The Hoito, Thunder Bay, Ontario
    • Business Travel

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo

Food for those on the move all the time.: 60 forays at various restaurants.

by Faiza-Ifrah Updated Apr 8, 2005

We had a total of 60 outings for breakfast, lunch, tea and supper while we were in Ontario.

Our favorite of all was Jack Astors the sports bar and grill. Kelsey's came close second.

Our family's favorite fast food was Tim Hortons. Each one of us had his/her favorite food item here - Donuts, fish for lunch, French and English cappuccinos, etc. Canadians are proud of their Tim Hortons and we found the outlets at every block. Although we have recently found that Tim Hortons are owned by Wendy's Corporation of the USA.

Other than the above, we had regular forays into Rainforest Cafe of Toronto, and Halal Popeys at Mississauga, Burger King, Subway, Mr. Sub, and Pizza Pizza. The last one mentioned is a Canadian franchise and turned out to be the most economical.

Two ethnic restaurants that we discovered and liked very much were Lahori Tikka House at Gerard Street in Toronto and Barbeque Tonight at Burnhamthorp and Mavis in Mississauga.

Favorite Dish: Fish of every kind with confirmed cooking in vegetable oil i.e. healthy food ;)

• MissAntarctica2002's Profile Photo

Swiss Chalet: Not Quite Swiss, But Tasty

by MissAntarctica2002 Updated Jan 31, 2005

Swiss Chalet has become an Ontario institution. When the chain first opened in the early 1980s the decor has a distinct alpine wannabe feel and the servers dressed in odd outfits that were meant to look like traditional Swiss costume. Thankfully they have since dispensed with the faux Swiss atmosphere and focused on what they are good at -- barbequed chicken and ribs. Swiss Chalet is known for its special sauce that accompanies all of their chicken and rib dinners. It's not haute cuisine by any stretch, but it's a great option for a casual family dinner.

Favorite Dish: I usually go for a quarter chicken dinner. If I'm less hungry, the smothered chicken sandwich is good too.

In addition to their dining room, you can also order take out or delivery. You can even place your delivery order online.

Swiss Chalet in Barrie, Ontario

• sim1's Profile Photo

Outback Steakhouse

by sim1 Written Jan 4, 2005

A restaurant we really enjoyed is the Outback Steakhouse. This is a chain of restaurants, located mainly in the USA, but also in Canada. I went to the one in Niagara Falls. The restaurant was conveniently located next to our hotel, so a good choice for us. But I would make the detour to go here as well.

It has as a theme the rustic Australian Outback. I liked it so much because of course of its good quality food, reasonable prices, but also its relaxed atmosphere and great service. It can be busy here though, so you might have to wait for a while before you table is ready. We had to wait for a while, but I didn't mind. We sat at the bar for a little while, nice and cosy, ordered a beer and a nice drink, relaxed, and before we knew it our table was ready. It was actually a great to start off with and enjoy our pre-dinner drink :-)

You can order anything from seasoned steaks, prime rib, chops, ribs, chicken, seafood and pasta. But remember not to order too much side-dishes. The main menu is already so much food that you probably won't be able to eat it all otherwise.

Outback Steakhouse, Niagara Falls

109 Reviews - 315 Photos
Huntsville Hotels
4 Reviews - 4 Photos

Instant Answers: Province of Ontario

Comments

Province of Ontario Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Province of Ontario restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Province of Ontario sightseeing.
Map of Province of Ontario