Richmond Hill Travel Guide

by coolpanda87

Richmond Hill Things to Do

• mikey_e's Profile Photo

by mikey_e Written Sep 11, 2007

The St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church was built in 1989, although an earlier marker stone (presumably from another church somewhere in the city) gives the date of 1951 as well. This church is a bit of an oddity, not simply because it belongs to a lesser known sect of Orthodoxy, but also because it is among a rather unassuming residential housing complex in Richmond Hill. Unfortunately, the church wasn't open when I visited, but the pictures on the church's website show some spectacular paintings on the interior of the building, particularly on the dome. The exterior of the church, although modern, bears all the hallmarks of traditional Orthodox places of worship - including the blue domes that top the church. The façade is fairly simple, although still quite interesting given its obvious Eastern inspiration.

The Antiochian Orthodox Church is one of the oldest in the world, being centred on the city of Antioch. The Church sometimes holds fairs celebrating the Middle Eastern culture of its faithful.

St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church Foundation Stone Domes from behind One of the Sign out front
    • Religious Travel
    • Architecture

• coolpanda87's Profile Photo

by coolpanda87 Written Feb 23, 2004

The David Dunlap Observatory was presented to the University of Toronto in 1935 by Jessie Donalda Dunlap as a memorial to her husband David Alexander Dunlap.

The observatory has three main objectives: astronomical research, the training of advanced students at the University, and the fostering of public interest in astronomy.

When the observatory was built, the 1.88 m. telescope was the second largest telescope in the world. Later two other reflector telescopes (.5m and .6m) were built on top of the Administration building.

Tours are held Saturday evenings from June to October, and Friday & Saturdays in July and August. Tours are not scheduled on holiday weekends. Friday tours are "family nights" and parents with children over 7 years old are encouraged to attend these tours.

The tour begins with a fifty minute presentation, given by a reasearcher of astronomy. Here, participants will have a chance to field questions. After, the 1.9 m telescope will be demonstrated & visitors are given a chance to look through the telescope at a celestial object. Objects of interest that may be shown include planets, galaxies & nebulae.

On clear nights, the Royal Astronomical Society will also set up their own telescopes for public viewing. Visiting with RASC is free on any night they come.

It is really exciting to look at stars (another of my interests), & if you really have a keen interest in astronomy, then a visit to Dunlap Observatory will be a worthwhile experience.

Summer Evening tours:
    $6 per adult, $4 per child (7-12 yrs) or senior citizen (65+). Tickets are sold at the door 1/2 hour before each tour on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations are permitted and recommended.

Dunlap Observatory

• Richmond Hill Hotels

5 Hotels in Richmond Hill

Richmond Hill Hotels

Richmond Hill Restaurants

• Martman's Profile Photo

by Martman Written Jul 26, 2012

I once drove past with a friend. We thought we would try it for fun. We were not sorry. I have only been there about 4 times. Each time, however it was really good food, huge portions at really good prices. Delicious! It is really worth a try.

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

by CdnJane Updated Apr 24, 2009

Over a year ago we had a work department lunch catered by My Kitchen, a restaurant owned by a colleague's family. I was impressed by the flavour, quality, quantity and freshness of the food - the best Chinese food I could remember eating. I've been meaning to go up to the restaurant but it isn't exactly located where I happen to travel frequently. The other night I was out that way with a visiting cousin, and we were hungry so thought it was the perfect time to check it out.
    I was impressed by the cleanliness, and cheerfulness of the restaurant. My experience with a lot of Chinese restaurants is that they seem to be dark, and a little ratty - this was anything but! I liked, too, that you could look through a big window into the kitchen at the back - very sleek and modern. Gotta admire, and feel reassured by, a restaurant that isn't afraid to let you look into their kitchen - nothing hidden! We were welcomed in, and got seated quickly. The young lady who served us was very friendly, and welcoming us.
    The menu was VERY extensive, and I'll admit certainly not the menu that I am used to seeing at the, normally, very non-authentic Chinese restaurants who tend to cater to the North American tastes. I'm not the most adventurous eater, so was glad to see some more familiar items, as was my cousin. Our server showed us a dish that one of the other customers had ordered which was nice to have an idea of what we could choose. She also brought us a knife and fork without our asking, which I appreciated, as it showed a consideration without our being made to feel inadequate for not being able to handle the chopsticks!
    If you're staying at one of the hotels around Highways 404 and 7, this is a great location to go for food to eat in or to take out. There are lots of chain restaurants to choose from, but this is a family-owned restaurant that I was really impressed with, and would like to see succeed. Certainly no greasy spoon - this is top-notch!

Favorite Dish: We did order the beef dish we were shown... I'm not sure of the actual name of it, but it was beef on a bed of noodles, with some vegetable on the side. It was an excellent choice - the meat cooked just right, the noodles well cooked, some a little crispy and the others where the sauce had soaked in nice and moist. The greens were fresh, and tasty. We also had the spring rolls - again all the ingredients were fresh and they were hot (temperature wise) - certainly not having sat around under a heating lamp. We also had the sweet and sour chicken - told you we're traditional American-style Chinese food people - and it was delicious. The sauce was good, not overly cloyingly sweet, the chicken just nicely battered - not batter with a hint of chicken - and there were lots of, again, fresh veggies and pineapple chunks in the sauce.
    There was a great pot of green tea which I enjoyed.... as much because it was a pot that didn't seem to leak when you poured, and kept the tea hot.

• Martman's Profile Photo

by Martman Written Nov 5, 2006

This is a great place for burger combos and breakfasts. While driving up north, give it a try!

Favorite Dish: Their onion rings are HUGE and incredible!

Instant Answers: Richmond Hill

Comments

Richmond Hill Travel Guide
Map of Richmond Hill