Stratford Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Stratford

• Redlats's Profile Photo

The Church Restaurant: Eating in a church

by Redlats Updated Sep 18, 2008

We had heard about this restaurant residing in a former church. Normally, this type of restaurant is way beyond our price range. We like eating, but eating at restaurants like this would mean we would have to balance them with quite a few picnics or McDonalds meals.

But as we walked by, the heavens opened and it started raining cats and dogs. As it was a September Sunday evening, the restaurant was quiet, so we asked if we could come in for dessert and coffee.

We had scoped out the menu, and found that the four plate menu was $90 and they had one special on the menu - a locally grown menu for $59.

Favorite Dish: After checking out the menu (you can do so in the web site below), we determined that we would share a dessert, soak up the ambiance and be on our way. I have to grant that the dessert was very good. Tasty and light. Probably just perfect as the fourth course in an evening.

The Church Restaurant - Stratford Malted Iced chocolate almond gateaux The past

• Sophisto-Bistro, inside Rundles.: Brilliant pre-theatre dinner experience.

by SohoInTheKnow Written Apr 4, 2012

My partner and I dined here with friends before our 8 p.m. theatre show, and we were all blown away by the dinner experience. We could not afford Rundles, so, we decided to try their less expensive venue, Sophisto-Bistro. The dining room is nicely done, designed by Shim-Sutcliffe Architects. Decor is off-the-wall, eclectic, and fun. We loved the painted bread boxes, cement wall fixtures featuring funny faces, and minimal table settings. The service was very accomplished, and the waiter knew a lot about the menu. Their bistro wine is great value, under $40 a bottle, and all locally sourced from Ontario. They were busy the night we visited, but, they got us all nicely fed, filled, billed, and out the door in good time for us to walk to the main Festival Theatre, about twenty minutes or so walk through the park along the river.

Favorite Dish: I really liked the beet salad, heirloom tomato salad as starters. For mains, my wife and I ordered the shared grilled rib eye of beef with grilled vegetables drizzled with a chimmichuri-like sauce (very fresh and lively addition). For dessert, the glazed lemon tart and sorbet was amazing, as well as the delightfully simple combination of fresh strawberries with vanilla ice cream. Yummy, yummy, yummy! P.S.: I forgot to mention their sourdough bread was awesome, as well as their homemade butter.

Best bread. Grilled rib eye presented by a chef! Beautifully done. Argentine style chimmichuri sauce. Side of roast fingerling spuds with lemon-parsley.
    • Architecture

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

The Church: Let's all sing Alleluia!

by Bunsch Written Jun 27, 2011

Since the mid-1970s, we've generally eaten one meal at The Church (I have never visited The Belfry, which is a newer and less fancy incarnation under the same roof) each time we came to Stratford. It is a quiet and elegant restaurant, as befits an eating establishment tucked into the deconsecrated shell of an actual church with stained glass intact. The menu changes seasonally, but there is an emphasis on locally-sourced meats and vegetables.

Reservations are a must. If you have theatre tickets at 8:00, The Church suggests a dinner hour of 5:00 PM so that you can fully enjoy the ambience and the exquisite food. Service is excellent, though, and I think you'd be fine with 5:30 or so.

Amen to that (not my pic)
    • Theater Travel

• Rundles: This is my favourite restaurant in North America.

by Mahoney123 Written Feb 14, 2009

This is the best restaurant in North America, hands down...

Every detail matters here, from their inventive cuisine, to off-beat yet solid wine list, to the minimalist decor and haute couture fashions worn by staff members.

I love this place!

Favorite Dish: Appetizer: Chilled Shrimp, Dungeness Crab and Cucumber Rolls.
    Main Dish: Crispy Duck Confit with Aubergine and Dashi Sauce.
    Dessert: Glazed Lemon Tart, with Orange Sorbet.

Rundles Entrance Ramp leading into Rundles. Vegetarian Main Course. Guinea Fowl: Main Dish, out-of-this-world! Dessert...  This is what Rundles is famous for!
    • Architecture

• Redlats's Profile Photo

Picnic!

by Redlats Updated Sep 15, 2008

It seems that restaurants in Stratford are a bit pricey. You can always bring a picnic. We passed many picnic tables near Lake Victoria in downtown Stratford.

Of course, if you are having a picnic, you might have unexpected visitors. We visited Stratford in September, and wasps are ever-present, but we appeased them by giving them their own place at our table, and that worked.

We set a place for our visitor and her guest enjoying lunch lunch in a cooler This guy joined the picnic as well

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Madelyn's Diner: Yum, those butter tarts!

by Bunsch Written Aug 15, 2014

You'll have to venture just a bit out of the centre of Stratford to find Madelyn's, but it is definitely worth the trip. Even though the place has been operational for almost thirty years, 2014 was my inaugural experience there -- and I went because someone was bragging about how fabulous the food was, and particularly how nice it was to get locally sourced and seasonal items. The place was obviously devoted to some other retail purpose in the past, but somehow the cobbled-together look, which includes traditional diner counter seating as well as tables, inside and out, was welcoming and the staff genuinely friendly and eager to suggest particular favorites. My friend got poutine rather than mere fries with her turkey Reuben sandwich, and ate every deadly bite. I was trying to eat a more healthy lunch and ordered a salad, but it was adequate to feed a family of four and most of it went home (all entrees come with a cup of the day's soup, which was a delicious vegetable medley, very filling) for later consumption.

Monday 8AM - 2:00PM
    Tuesday - Saturday 7AM - 8PM
    (breakfast all day)
    Sunday 8AM - 1:30PM (serving only breakfast and fish & chips)

Favorite Dish: Madelyn's prides itself on two things: "extremely exquisite fish n' chips" and "bodacious butter tarts." I can't speak to the former, although what I saw coming out of the kitchen certainly looked delicious (and they are apparently Justin Bieber's favorite), but we really had to try the butter tarts. My previous exposure to these treats had been limited to the packets of six mini-tarts sold at the Duty-Free, and good enough but hardly the stuff of dreams. Madelyn's butter tarts inhabit a different universe. First of all, NONE of them consist of just the butter tart filling (I would liken it to the base of a pecan or chess pie); all of the six or more varieties incorporate seasonal fruit or bacon, so that you kind of get an amalgam of butter tart and pie, and they are scrumptious!!! So much so that I had to make a separate trip to acquire more for the long drive home. Oh, bliss.

One of the famous butter tarts (not my pic) Madelyn's exterior (not my pic)

• Pan Tapas: Not for Singles

by LibbyD10 Updated Aug 22, 2010

Pan Tapas main attraction is their use of local food, but they failed the Older Single Woman Diner test. Despite making a reservation, there was clearly no table set aside for me when I arrived and I was quickly shuffled to an uncomfrtable wooden table and chair directly in line with the open kitchen door, by the front door, across from the bar....busy area! The 'real' tables inside the dining looked quite comfortable with faux leather upholstery. Given that each tapas plate is the size of a regular appetizer, I asked if chef could do a mixed plate for a single diner and was told (as was the family next to me when they requested simply fresh fruit for dessert) that "chef doesn't do variations". My first of two tapas plates arrived before my drink. The food was very good, all locally sourced, but I found the service condescending. You would need four poeple to share these plates to make this a worthwhile experience, and there are plenty of good retaurants in the area that are willing to accomodate and welcome single diners. I wouldn't reccommend this one.

Favorite Dish: None yet

• meleole's Profile Photo

Falstaff's: Great atmostphere, good food.

by meleole Written Mar 10, 2004

This is pub fare with a tinge of class. The food was good and the menu varied. The service was beyond excellent, and the atmosphere is great.

Gabbie, Sara and Sara at Falstaff's.

Instant Answers: Stratford

Comments

Stratford Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Stratford restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Stratford sightseeing.