Tobermory What to Pack

Tobermory
    by sim1

Best Rated What to Pack in Tobermory

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Have backpack will travel....

by richiecdisc Written Nov 7, 2003

enjoying the Bruce

Luggage and bags: Backpacks offer greater flexibility whether traveling by car or foot.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: THough a well traversed trail, you need a good pair of hiking boots for the Bruce. It is a rugged trail going over cliffs and many roots in the more forested sections.

Photo Equipment: Wide angle to take in all of the Georgian Bay and polarizer to bring out its blue colors.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Tent, sleeping bag and a foam or inflating sleeping mat as the ground is quite hard on the Bruce.

• sim1's Profile Photo

Protecting against mosquitos

by sim1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Tobermory

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear:
    As you could read in my warning tip it's best to avoid being bitten by mosquitos because of the West Nile Virus. Here are some useful tips to reduce the risk of being bitten by mosquitos :
    Pack light coloured and long-sleeved clothing that includes long sleeved shirts or jackets, long pants, shoes, and tuck pants into socks for extra protection. Hahaha, as you could see in these pictures I hadn't read all these advices myself yet! But I will use them next time!
    I found out the hard way that it's best to wear loose-fitting clothes made of tightly woven materials that keep mosquitoes away from skin. Sigh.... they bit me right through my shirt and pants during one of my hikes :-( I also discovered as long as I kept moving the mosquito problem was bearable. But the moment I stood still to take a picture or have a break, they were zooming all around me ready to attack.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies:
    Besides the right clothing it is necesarry to use insect repellent. Use a federally regulated insect repellent containing DEET when mosquitoes are biting. Adults may use an insect repellent that contains no greater than 30% DEET and no greater than 10% for children. Apply the repellent to exposed skin, and clothing as well, because mosquitoes may bite through fabric. Do not apply repellent under clothing. If you don't like to use a repellent containing DEET there are some alternatives on the market. I have no clue how effective those are though.

Another good tip is to limit the use of colognes, perfumes, and scented body lotions that can attract mosquitoes and other biting insects.

Miscellaneous:
    Ontario Parks has a special section about the mosquitos and West Nile Virus on it's website. You can find lots more info and answer to many questions on this website :

I have been concentrating on the mosquitos in this tip, hahaha, but I forgot to mention those irritating black flies! Phew, those know how to bite you as well! But luckely they can't give you West Nile Virus. If you use these tips mentioned above you'll be protected against the black flies as well.

It all may sound very complicated and not inviting to go to the parks, but please don't let this stop you. The bugs are irritating, but with these few simple precautions I am sure you will have a fantastic time and it will be safe to visit :-)

• Camping
    • National/State Park

• sim1's Profile Photo

by sim1 Updated Jun 3, 2003

Luggage and bags:
    When you go on a day hike it's good to take a few things along with you.
    * First of all the bug repellent (see the next tip for more info).
    * Sunscreen! The sun can be suprisingly strong and a sunburn is easily caught.
    * Water! Hahaha, when you've done a climb uphill you certainly get thirsty. So bring plenty of water for your hike. Never use the water in the park but use bottled water.
    * A park map and a trail guide. Mostly the trails are marked quite well, but it's always great to have a map and/or a trail guide with you so you keep track of where you are and how far you still have to go. The trail guides are mostly available at the start of the hike, but sometimes you have to buy them at the campground store.
    * Bring some snacks! During a hike I always get very hungry and it's great to have something to eat or snack during the hike or on a break. I always have some candy, apple or sandwich with me.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies:
    It's wise to bring a first aid kit on your hike...... hmmm.... I have to admit that I am guilty of not bringing this with me myself, but I think it is better if you would. I do have my plasters with me in case I get blisters on my feet. When I feel I get one I always use them to protect it from getting worse.

Photo Equipment:
    Okay, this one is obvious... bring your camera and film! And lots of it! When you have a digital don't forget to bring some spare batteries and maybe extra memory cards to store you photos. I've made a separate tip on the photo equipment I use, so take a look there if you are interested in reading more about it.

Miscellaneous:
    Besides bringing water on your hike, also make sure to have plenty of bottled water with you for on your campsite. In a lot of the parks the water isn't of drinking quality. If you do want to use this water make sure you boil the water for at least 5 minutes. A lot of parks have a boil water order in effect. When this is the case you will be informed by the park with signs at the water taps. An easy moment that you forget about this rule is while brushing your teeth, so don't rinse your mouth with the campground water! The good news is that the parks are working on it to solve the problems.

• Camping

• Amanda-v's Profile Photo

Make the memories last forever

by Amanda-v Written Jan 25, 2008

Photo Equipment: During your stay in Tobermory, even if it's only for the day you're sure to see many picture perfect sites and have many Kodak moments. Having a camera by your side will ensure that they're not forgotten.

Instant Answers: Tobermory

Comments

Tobermory What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Tobermory what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tobermory sightseeing.