People / Different cultures, Toronto

Know about this?

• View of Toronto from Picnic Area at Centre Island
    View of Toronto from Picnic Area at...
  • Boats near the Picnic Area at Centre Island
    Boats near the Picnic Area at Centre...
    Lake Beside Picnic Area at Centre Island

Tastes of Thailand in Toronto

by freddie18 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Artistic Fruit Carving

Tastes of Thailand offered a wealth of activities that surely made a mark to event goers who like cultural dance and music.

I have enjoyed the parade of native Thai costumes. It was colourful. You will also taste the Thai food in the many booths that was installed on the street. The mouth watering taste of noodle dish, satay, tamarind tofu, shrimp and vegetable spring rolls, and a variety of delicious curry.

For updated schedule and information about this event, please refer to the website provided.

• Music

Picnic at Toronto Island Park

by freddie18 Updated Feb 16, 2009

View of Toronto from Picnic Area at Centre Island

The Toronto Island Park is huge at approximately 230 hectares. Visitors have enjoyed the lakeside charm for many years and have became the best place to have a picnic. There is so much space and so much time here to enjoy with the family.

The Toronto Island Park comprises of Hanlan's Point, Centre Island and Ward's Island. The most popular of them is the Centre Island. You may check the link below to check the General Information specifying what to expect.

We have had picnics here with my family and relatives and had the summer company picnic. It was awesome and there's a lot of fun.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Beaches

• Suzanne123's Profile Photo

LGBYT

by Suzanne123 Updated Feb 11, 2009

The community is found at Wellesley subway station. There is a main stream theatre just west of College station which usually has a LBYT themed movie or two. Church st. has many restuarants, bars, clubs, and the 519 community centre which serves mostly queers, homeless men, and has a heart for the james town community children. Buddies in bad times theatre is a hit. So is fem cab, in march, put on by nightwood theatre. Check out for NOW or Extra newspapers. The library yorkville branch (close to the Metro Refrence Library) has a great LGBT selection. There is a metro community church, pride celebrations in June, the omega centre for spirtuality... and lots more. Check out extra for community and events listings. LSBN on the internet is a great site

• Gay and Lesbian

Pick Your Own Pumpkins

by freddie18 Updated Feb 1, 2009

The Joy of Pumpkin Picking

Ontario is famous for strawberry picking in June and apple picking in September. You may also pick your own pumpkins in Applewood Farm in Stouffville in the month of October.

Applewood Farm & Winery is a great destination for young and old to enjoy a little bit of the country, close to the city. We have been visiting the farm for many years and the photos I posted here were taken on one of those visits. It is a convenient place to pick strawberries, apples, and ......Pumpkins. You may also purchase delicious pumpkin pie at their store.

Visit the website for more information about Applewood Farm & Winery. Address. Telephone. Direction.

• Farm Stay

Apple Picking Time

by freddie18 Updated Feb 1, 2009

The Joy of Apple Picking

If you happen to be in Canada in September and you have not experienced apple picking, then this is the time to make it happen. Ontario has a lot of farmlands planted with different varieties of apples. One of the famous apple picking is in Stouffville. You will be able to experience a real country farm, not far from home at the Applewood Farm Winery. Applewood is not only for apples. It is famous for Fine Wines, Strawberries, Pumpkins, and Gift Baskets.

Come in....
    June - Strawberry Picking
    September - Apple Picking

For other information, visit the website I provided below.

• Seniors

Experience Holiday Season in Toronto

by freddie18 Updated Jan 25, 2009

Food is part of the Christmas Celebration

I guess most of us celebrate Christmas as most Christian do. I remember when we were living in the Philippines, we visit the church to hear mass in the early morning from the 15th of December. It is not only because it is our tradition but because of the Filipino delicacies that we enjoy right after the mass.

Here in Canada, it is a bit different as holiday masses are held at nighttime also from the 15th of December. No food is involved after the mass whatsoever. Not unless the family started this as a Canadian way.

Whatever tradition you are used to have, still the holiday season is time for peace and love for everyone. Gift giving is part of it and as a Canadian, generosity is always in our hearts.

Come celebrate with us. Let's join hands and share what we have to the poorest of the poor!

Salsa at St. Clair

by freddie18 Updated Dec 26, 2008

On the Stage with the Latinos

A yearly successful celebration of Toronto's biggest Latino culture. As always, St. Clair and its adjoining streets are closed. I specially like the participants as they showcase Latin life; the beat of pulsating music, passionate dancing, fiery foods, and the free Salsa dance lessons.

I have witnessed the lively music and dance on the street. Watch for this festival and I am sure you will have a lot of fun. Show off your best dance moves. Show off your Salsa best beat!

For updated yearly schedule, please refer to the website provided.

• Music

• stuckie's Profile Photo

Toronto is the most diverse city in the world

by stuckie Written Apr 25, 2008

Although Miami has a higher percentage of people who are foriegn born, Toronto has more people of different nationalities and backgrounds. People expect differences rather than similarities. Don't be surprised if they think you live here rather than being a tourist. Some 40% of the city is not born in Canada and increasingly are being labelled 'visible minorities' due to their country of origin, like China and India.

An expectation of English language is expected. Few Torontonians speak French, so a knowledge of English is vital. In certain boroughs of the city, you might be okay with just a knowledge of Cantonese, Italian, Portuguese, Korean or Greek languages.

Tread lightly on topics of differences between Canada and US and the rest of the world. Torontonians are often referred to as the 'centre of the universe' by Western Canadians because most once they live here, do not move outside of the area.

Still talk of Torontonians being the most unfriendly people are exaggerated. Any big city in the world has such a reputation. If you are lost, most will be happy to help you find your way.

• OlenaKyiv's Profile Photo

Communication in Chinatown

by OlenaKyiv Written May 17, 2007
    Embroidery

If you are in Chinatown, you would better speak Chinese. All signs are on Chinese, I assume. Many people don’t speak English. We went in one of the banks to exchange money and found ourselves among Asian people, old and young. They talked very fast on their native language and looked at us, at the beginning, with some suspicion (we were the only ones who looked Slavic and who even didn’t speak English between each other). Soon they realized we are not any threat to them (I am joking) and didn’t pay attention to us. Then we realized we have some question to ask, I don’t remember what exactly. We tried to ask people in line and received only glances of misunderstanding. That moment I really wanted to speak Chinese. Luckily, bank employee spoke English.

• inter123's Profile Photo

Were are all the Candians?

by inter123 Updated Sep 17, 2006

When i arrived in Toronto i was greeted by immagration officer, who was from india, i then proceded to go threw, and walke out of the exit gate as i did i was met by a line of taxi drivers all from middle eastern and asian decent. and first i thought nothing of it but while driving to my hostel we past Littly Italy, Littly Portgual, China Town and a large Ukrainan community. was i really in Canada had i landed on some amazing planet were every culture cam toghter as one and race was not an issue, i ask my friendly taxi driver were are all the candians gone, to my suprise he replied, toronto is the most multicultl city in the world, this is why.

Italians - 233,110
    Sri Lanka- 10,566

• MissAntarctica2002's Profile Photo

We're friendly, honest.

by MissAntarctica2002 Updated Dec 8, 2005

I've heard several people comment that Torontonians are cold and unfriendly. I can see how they might get that impression, but I think their conclusion is wrong.

Most people in Toronto are indeed friendly, but because it is a big city with a lot going on, people will seldomly greet a stranger on the street or things like that. If you spoke to someone you are likely to find them warm, helpful and friendly.

I think because Toronto is more crowded than most other areas of Canada, people try to give each other space by not always greeting each other on the street or striking up conversations in elevators and things.

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

Multiculturalism

by fairy_dust Written Dec 7, 2005

Toronto is one of the must multicultural cities in the world. There are people there from every country and culture imaginable, and while many choose to keep their home country's culture, they also share it with others. You'll see people who were raised or have adapted to Western culture, but also lots of people who wear their traditional dress and/or speak several languages. There are restaurants with foods from everywhere around the world, and plenty of opportunities to learn about the cultures of the immigrants who live here. My relatives in Toronto are Chinese, and we went to several places in Chinatown where Cantonese was spoken more than English, and every store/restaurant sign was in Chinese characters. Though I don't speak a word of Chinese nor can I read Chinese characters, I thought it was a cool experience.

• Cultural Diversity

by thamitheen Written Oct 13, 2005

Can I please ask what Toronto is being compared to when it is called diverse? I have done a lot of travelling, although admittedly not so much in North America, and I have never experienced as much racism as I did when I was in Toronto this summer. A smattering of multicultural restaurants does not make a city tolerant; it seemed to me that in Toronto, you are allowed to be diverse until such a point as it is noticably different from the mainstream.
    I always thought my home in London was racist because racial issues are always in the public eye, but I realised thanks to my visit to Toronto that in London a huge stir is created when anything remotely racist occurs, because people as a whole really are tolerant. On the contrary, in Downtown Toronto's entertainment district - which should be a cosmopolitan area if such a thing existed in the city - I was the victim of racist verbal abuse on several occasions - and the people who witnessed the events sat and watched in silence. When I raised the issue with a group of Canadian acquaintances, I was told that Canada is big on free speech and therefore my experiences were merely an aspect of Canada's libertarian attitude. It is unfortunate that the behaviour of a minority has clouded my experience, but my bitter advice to tourists who don't blend in with a Western crowd, or perhaps with established minority groups in the area, is to be on your guard and be prepared to be harrassed.

• Most Residents Not From Canada!

by bgoodman123 Written Jul 4, 2005

If you're going to Toronto expecting to get a "Canadian" experience, you might have to work at it.
    The majority of people living there are NOT from Canada at all.
    While there is still a lot of Canada to experience in the city, the practical side of things tends to weigh on the "New Canadians" nowadays.
    The real experience in Toronto these days is the enormous diversity of people - more of a global interaction than a traditional "Canadian" one!

• spgood301's Profile Photo

What TO's great at

by spgood301 Written Jan 23, 2005

Toronto is truly one of the most multicultural cities around. It's got some wonderful neighborhoods, including Chinatown and Greektown. I spent part of my last visit at the "Taste of Danforth", a festival in Greektown. It had Greek food and drink, and lots of exhibits-inclucing the Toronto's beloved Maple Leafs,and an interactive exhibit on the Canadian Olympic team, sponsored by the CBC. It seemed like the whole city was out. The festival takes place in the summer (by the way, the weather was great!)

I've read that less than half ot Toronto's population comes from Canada. You'll see so many great people in TO-when you're there, walk through the different neighborhoods and enjoy!

Instant Answers: Toronto