Restaurants / food, Toronto

Philippine Pork Barbecue
    Complete Filipino Dishes

Cheap Eats and Treats.

by lohki Updated Sep 12, 2006

If you’re downtown and looking for a low cost meal, check out the culinary school at George Brown College.

The St. James Campus is located on Adelaide St. east of Jarvis Street. You will know you are in the right place by all the chef uniforms hanging around the entrance.

The window is located down the stairs and beside the regular food kiosk. There is a small window displaying the cookies and cakes, but look for the posted, hand written "menu" of the day.

Every Monday to Friday starting at noon you can purchase whatever the culinary students are working on that day for a very minimal price.

Boxes of cookies $2.00

Cheap Eats and Treats.

by lohki Updated Sep 12, 2006

I have noticed people buying the wraps and eating them right away, I am not sure if they are hot or cold.

The soup needs heating and I suspect the entrees do as well so make sure you have access to a microwave.

Carrot Cake $4.00
    Soup (Scotch Broth) large litre tub $2.00

Today's Entree
    Lamb wraps $2.00
    Lamb Stew $4.00
    Lamb Shoulder $4.00

Yummy Chef School @ George Brown!

• Singles

• Arial_27's Profile Photo

Bagels!

by Arial_27 Updated Oct 6, 2005

The bagel originated in the 1600s by a Jewish baker, who created them as a gift for king Jan Sobieski of Poland to triumph over the Turks that year. The bagel was brought to New York City in the 1800s, and since then has actually found more use all over North America than in Europe... I actually never saw any bagels any time I was in Europe...

But in Canada bagels are widely available in several different flavours: plain, chocolate chip, whole wheat, sesame seed, onion (my favourite) cinnamon and raison, etc. They can be bought in bulk at any grocery store, or a Tim Hortons coffee shop (which you shouldn't have trouble finding because Tim Hortons locations are quite abundant.)

• freddie18's Profile Photo

Enjoy Filipino Dish While in Toronto

by freddie18 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Complete Filipino Dishes

If you travel to Toronto and you want to have a taste of Filipino or Philippine dishes, come to Casa Manila.

Some of the dishes we ordered are clockwise: Ginataang Langka, Apritada, Lechon, Bopis, and White Rice. Halo-Halo is not shown here but this is my favourite dessert.

Get detailed information on the website I provided below.

• lohki's Profile Photo

Shopping for bread in the Annex!

by lohki Written May 15, 2007

Parmesan Garlic Rodini

I always used to complain that I didn't have anywhere to shop for fresh bread in my hood!

The one day Cobs opened their doors, mostly for breads there are a few sweet and /or savoury treats to be had.

I love the apricot loaf $5.00, the fruit scones and mini apricot rolls are yummy and only $1.00 and the Rodini $3.75 is also a favorite. Both the garlic and parmesan as well as the sweet chili rodini loaf.

They are located on the north side of Bloor St. just west of Spadina Ave.

• Singles
    • Work Abroad
    • Study Abroad

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Tim Horton's Coffee

by ATXtraveler Written Feb 22, 2007

Line out the door for Timmy's finest

I would hardly call myself a coffee conniseur (or however you spell that), but having lived in Melbourne, AU and travelled to places like San Francisco and Seattle that claim to have the best coffee in the world, I found it completely ironic that of 6 coffee shops on the block of my hotel in the morning, 5 of them were all but empty. I passed by two Starbucks - EMPTY. Two cafes that clearly registered fresh coffee, one or two loyal patrons. Then I rounded the corner to the place Canadians call home for a cup of the warm stuff, Tim Horton's. Timmy's had a line 20 deep, stretching out into the warm Toronto winter morning waiting for his delicious brew of pure Canada.

After my wait, I got to the front only to find out they did not take credit card. 20 minutes later, after my second wait in line, I had my cup... yes, it was better than Starbucks.

• I'll have a double double...

by ciscochampion Written Nov 13, 2005

Be sure to visit a Tim Horton's restaurant. Chances are that you will find one. The best thing to order is the coffee...a large double double! That means a large coffee with 2 creams and 2 sugars. You could also try any of the fresh baked donuts.

• j-san's Profile Photo

Orange Creamsicles

by j-san Written Aug 15, 2005

Orange Creamsicle

The summer in Toronto was hot. Now I usually don't eat ice-cream, maybe twice a year, however when in Rome... I consumed so much ice-cream while wandering the streets. It was fun to pop into corner stores and go through their selection. My favorite hands down was the Orange Creamsicle! Vanilla ice-cream on the inside, orange ice on the outside. mmm...

• loki5's Profile Photo

Tim Hortons is a must for...

by loki5 Written Aug 26, 2002

Tim Hortons is a must for coffee. You can also get a cheap meal (chili, soup ya get the picture).Also watch where you smoke cigarttes-a lot of restaurants have banned smoking if the are considered a 'family 'restaurant. You cannot even bring kids on the patios.

• Tara2001's Profile Photo

OK this sounds crazy but as an...

by Tara2001 Written Aug 25, 2002

OK this sounds crazy but as an English person travelling to Canada, I had trouble working out how to use the milk! In many Canadian households the milk comes in plastic bags, no lie! The bag just slots into a special jug-thing and then you just cut off the corner of the bag. I feel embarrassed writing this but if you are staying with friends or family in Canada, save the embarrassment and be prepared! I spent a good 10 minutes trying to remove the bag, tip it out etc etc, not only did I make a big mess but I made a complete fool of myself in front of family who I had just met!!!

• Crackdogs. Toronto has the...

by captainfez Written Aug 24, 2002

Crackdogs. Toronto has the most fantastic sidewalk hotdogs - nicknamed 'crackdogs' by my friends that live there, because they've gotta be dusted with crack to taste so good. Only about a buck, and with a phenomenal range of toppings - like pickles, mushrooms, olives, etc - they'll keep you going for a while. Perfect to stave off hunger and cold.

• daffodil's Profile Photo

Can I get this to go?

by daffodil Written Aug 24, 2002

I don't know personally, but I have heard that asking to take home the leftovers in a restaurant in some parts of Europe is just not acceptable. When you come to Canada, just remember that it is not only OK to take them, it is almost an insult to the restaurant if you don't.

• FlirtyFlorida's Profile Photo

Loonys and Toonys

by FlirtyFlorida Written Aug 21, 2004

If you are going to be dealing with Canadian money, the most important thing to remember is that a "Loony" is a copper coin worth $1.00 and a "Toony" is a silver and copper coin worth $2.00! Don't get them mixed up with other pocket change!

Note: There are no $1.00 bills used.

• Original motorcycle burgers

by cookee Written Aug 18, 2009

Hi my vote goes to http://www.originalmotorcycleburgers.com/ New & Vintage look, rare motorcycle art, detail &branding style in every way including Fuss's new hand picked playlist, it's an experience You have to try!!! Featuring "The Original Steak Burger", AAA Ground Fresh on Site,highest quality ingredients, everything is made to order, variety of Original Steak Burgers, Free Range Chicken, Veggie Burgers, Fussy Wings, Soup & Salads, Original Fries, Sweet Potato Fries & Onion Rings.

• meteorologist1's Profile Photo

Hot dog carts

by meteorologist1 Written Aug 10, 2008
    Hot dog vendor in Toronto

All over Toronto you can see street vendors with their hot dog carts selling hot dogs, bratwurst, sausages, etc.. These are great places to grab a quick bite to eat.

• Business Travel