Casa Loma, Toronto

Know about this? Rate It!

Enjoy this splendid picture!
    CONSERVATORY: Italian Marble Floor
    by Martman
  • Steps to gardens outside the beautiful castle
    Steps to gardens outside the beautiful...
  • Martman's Profile Photo

Casa Loma

by Martman Updated Aug 25, 2006

Enjoy this splendid picture!

Many years ago, I was driving to a meeting and got lost. While navigating the streets, I was stunned to suddenly see a spectacular castle. The reason why I was so stunned was because I had not heard of it at the time. I was caught by total surprise. That was my introduction to Casa Loma, the great castle of Toronto.

Since then, when I drive visitors with a choice of routes, I try driving past the castle without telling them beforehand. They can then also enjoy the surprise! It is indeed a remarkable sight.

This castle was originally the estate Henry Pellatt, built between 1911 and 1914. This splendid castle is decorated with highly ornate suites, secret passages. What I really loved, was the hidden 800-foot tunnel that surfaces by stables in a totally different area. The castle also boasts a splendid 5-acre garden.

The tour of the castle is self-guided i.e. we carry a recorded tape with us. It is apparently avialable in various languages. I know the castle is rented out for various events such as weddings. I know that a chess tournament took place there too. You may wish to investigate having your function at this venue!

The castle is reached by taking Spadina Road, north of Davenport. Using the subway, take the University/Spadina Line to the Dupont station, then walk north under the railroad tracks. The castle is seen at the top of the ridge.

actual address: 1 Austin Terrace, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5R 1X8

Click here to return to my Toronto Page

Click here to return to my VT Homepage

• Museum Visits

• Michael_D's Profile Photo

CASA LOMA was built by...

by Michael_D Written Aug 24, 2002

CASA LOMA was built by Canadian financier Sir Henry Pellatt in 1914 simply to fulfill a childhood fantasy of owning a castle. Its secret passageways, breathtaking towers and sweeping staircase continue to enchant visitors and even looks a little errie at night. Today, Casa Loma is owned by the City of Toronto , operated by the Kiwanis Club and attracts about 400,000 tourists a year. The entire time i was there I visualised kicking everybody out and living there...it must be a common fantasy;-)
    Casa Loma is located at 1 Austin Terrace at Spadina Rd.Toronto M5R 1X8 phone: (416) 923-1171 e-mail: info@casaloma.org

• kris-t's Profile Photo

Casa Loma Parks

by kris-t Written Jan 24, 2006

Casa Loma Parks

Casa Loma is complete with decorated suites, secret passages, an 800-foot tunnel, towers, stables, and beautiful 5-acre estate gardens.

• Theme Park Trips

• davidtahd's Profile Photo

Casa Loma - Experience a Castle in Canada

by davidtahd Written Jan 18, 2005

Casa Loma was my first experience at touring a castle, which are not common in the United States and Canada. The architecture and gardens were beautiful.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo

Casa Loma

by Sharrie Written Feb 25, 2003

CASA LOMA: Toronto's answer to California's Hearst Castle. A 98-room mansion built by financier Henry Pellatt in early 1900s at a cost of $3.5 million!

Instant Answers: Toronto