Sculptures / Street Art, Toronto

Know about this? Rate It!

• Sculptures / Street Art
  • Sculptures / Street Art
    by milliturtle
    You will see this yellow bird a lot
  • milliturtle's Profile Photo

Graffiti Alley (aka Rush Lane)

by milliturtle Written Jul 22, 2012

If you like graffiti and street art, Rush Lane is a good place to start. It runs parallel on Spadina Avenue to Portland Street, located between Queen and Richmond Streets. There are actually more murals and graffiti in the lane north of Queen.

In Rush Lane, you can see the usual tags and whatnot, but you will also find a lot of interesting art work there. The lane also looked a bit dreary at times, mainly because it is a back alley. I felt OK wandering down there in broad daylight, except for this one bit that is connected to a parkette with some interesting characters. Its neighbour, Queen Street West, is a more funky, sort of in the process of being gentrified area, so there's that.

I posted a few pictures from Rush Lane and Bulwer Street. I think some of these are actually registered as murals and are legally allowed to stay on the walls.

• Photography

• freddie18's Profile Photo

CityTV CityPulse Ornate Decor in Toronto

by freddie18 Written Dec 16, 2007

In Toronto, it used to have this ornately decorated old restored building situated at 299 Queen Street. It was the studios of the ChumCity CityTV showcasing the CityPulse news and other TV programs. This is the place where celebrities come and go. I have to go back there one day to confirm if the TV station have moved somewhere, so I heard.

Let me spend more time and re-discover what has happened to this decor. I have seen this for a couple of times but want to share with you if it is still there. If I don't get back to you in a month or so, please email me. It could be just I did not have a chance to visit the place due to weather issue like today. There is snow storm right now. I will be back, I promise!

• Theater Travel

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

The highest piece of Toronto art

by pieter_jan_v Written Jun 18, 2007

Rosa Nautica at Spadina Avenue

During my 2007 visit I came across a newspaper article about the highest piece of Toronto art that had just been assembled. The explorer hormons awake in me and I just had to enter the construction site to be the first VT-er to capture this monster called "Rosa Nautica" by Francisco Gazitua.

The work represents a sextant and the masts of a sailing ship, payed by construction company Concord Adex, which is building condo towers in the old railway lands on either side of Spadina Avenue.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Architecture

• WONDER TORONTO

by Angela_Miana Written Oct 12, 2005
    Meet Kim Catrell from Sex in the City

Wonderful about TORONTO is the different atmosphere we get. We have Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall... on the flip side when you get dumped by someone you love, you force yourself to enjoy the sceneries that TORONTO offers... You get to meet famous people, you run to them and your life will change ...

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo

Check out the Graffiti

by windsorgirl Updated Jul 23, 2004

graffiti man

Some call it vandalism, I call it art. There are some stunning examples of graffiti located at the Keele subway station.

You can check out more of my graffiti photos in a travelogue.

• Imaniac's Profile Photo

Churchill Statue

by Imaniac Written May 25, 2004

Chuchill

On Nathan Phillips Square you'll come across this man. It's a statue of Winston churchill. I was so surprised to see him standing there - because at first I just didn't see the connection between the UK and Canada. Of course when you give it some more thought, it's not that strange after all.

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Sculpture along Bloor Street

by CdnJane Written May 13, 2004

I just discovered this as I was walking from an interview, and thought it was worth sharing. The piece is called Community and I believe it has only been there since 2001 but it might have been 1991... something like that anyway.
    It was a nice piece, and in the failing light of the evening thought I'd share it with VT folks.
    I found it on Bloor St East, on the North Side, between Jarvis and Church Streets.

• Architecture

• MissAntarctica2002's Profile Photo

Redpath Sugar Mural

by MissAntarctica2002 Written Apr 30, 2004

Redpath Sugar Mural in Toronto

A few years ago an artist was commissioned to paint a mural on the side of one of the buildings at Redpath Sugar on Queen's Quay. It depicts a beautiful underwater scene with whales. It is a sight for sore eyes.

It is located on Queen's Quay near Jarvis.

• MissAntarctica2002's Profile Photo

100 Workers Monument

by MissAntarctica2002 Written Apr 9, 2004

100 Workers Monument in Toronto

In Simcoe Park between Simcoe Place and the CBC Broadcast Centre is a moving memorial that is easy to miss. It is a short wall-like structure with plaques running across the top of it. It is a millenium project built by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board. Each of the plaques describes a worker who died on the job every year between 1901 and 2000.

Although I've categorized this as Off The Beaten Path, this is very close to many of the places you may already be planning to visit during your trip to Toronto, such as the CN Tower, Metro Convention Centre and the Entertainment District.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

Moose on the Loose

by littlesam1 Written Oct 26, 2002

While we were in Toronto the Moose on the Loose street art was on the streets. I am sure the local people grew tired of them very fast, but they were very interesting and fun to locate for someone just visiting the city. They were virtually on every street corner of the city.
    Pictured here is Jim posing with a leather clad moose. I will make no further comments.

• If you walk around downtown...

by malyshka Written Aug 24, 2002

If you walk around downtown (not the major streets, but walk between the skyscrapers), there are tonns of quite little corners with interesting statues.

Instant Answers: Toronto