Christina's, Toronto

4.5 out of 5 stars 2 Reviews

492 Danforth (at Logan)

Christina's - Decor (2006)
    Christina's (2006)
    by Kaspian
    Christina's - Inside (2006)
  • Kaspian's Profile Photo

Christina's: Christina's

by Kaspian Updated May 16, 2011

Christina's (2006)

"Let's go for dinner in Greektown, tonight!" My genius idea, to impress my American companion with the city of Toronto and its large variety of international cuisine.
    Walking out of the Chester subway station and onto Danforth Avenue (known locally as just "the Danforth"), I'm suddenly slightly panic-stricken when I realize that I know nothing at all about the restaurants in Greektown. It's a warm summer night and I'd like to have dinner on one of the quaint little outside patios. We walk several blocks in one directions, and then back several blocks the way we came looking for an available table--preferably one that's close to the sidewalk so we can people-watch. Finally, hungry and tired from the day's journeys, we resign ourselves to a table that, although outside, is tucked behind the entrance doors to the restaurant and far from the sidewalk.
    Luck strikes you sometimes when you least expect it. Unknowingly, we've just sat down at one of the city's most famous restaurants--"Christina's". This is a place that despite the reasonably-priced dishes, Toronto's elite--the wealthy and celebrities, often come to dine, wine, and impress each other.
    The entree menu is large and full of variety, from traditional Greek and Mediterranean specialties to more conservative dishes like "New York Steak". Our waiter is quick and courteous and brings our drinks promptly. I order the moussaka which comes with a large Greek side salad and my companion orders chicken souvlaki which comes with lemon potatoes and vegetables.
    When I go to the bathroom, I'm greeted by the owner of the restaurant. "Hello! Welcome to Christina's!" she says with a big smile. But when I try and take a photo of her she hides behind a wall.
    Although it takes awhile for the food to arrive, it is worth every second of the wait. Ravenous, we dig in and share the delicious items with each other over the candlelight. Our secluded table behind the doors takes on the feel of a private booth, and we are two very happy people.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Christina's: Al fresco dining in Greektown

by Dabs Written Oct 30, 2005

We ate in Greektown twice over our weekend in Toronto, once with the large VT group and then Rob and I returned to have dinner there Sunday night. I really liked Toronto's Greektown area, it seemed very safe so we walked all the way up and down the stretch of Danforth where the restaurants are before settling on Christina's which had a nice outdoor patio with an awning which was nice when it started drizzling later in the meal.

Our server was extremely friendly and efficient and I think he even smiled when he said Opa! with the saganacki unlike the dour waiters in Chicago's Greektown :-) I'd definitely revisit this restaurant should I visit Toronto again.

Favorite Dish: We started off with a couple of appetizers, mine was saganacki or flaming cheese which they light on fire at your table. I think Rob ordered the taramosalata, a red caviar dip served with pita, both of them were good.

My entree was a chicken pita served with fries which was also good.

Instant Answers: Toronto

Comments

Hotels Near Christina's
3.5 out of 5 stars