Giovanna's Trattoria, Toronto

637 College Street (416) 538-2098

Fettuccine Salmone
    by sim1
  • Crepes with Italian gelato at Giovanna's Trattoria
    Crepes with Italian gelato at Giovanna's...
    by sim1
  • Giovanna's Trattoria: Ask for Signor Severino!

by romanainusa Updated May 31, 2004

I am italian (actually, a proud "roman"!) living in the US.
    My husband had some business meetings in Toronto and I went with him.
    We travel quite a lot and in different parts of the world.
    Our hotel was centrally located and I went for a long walk to Little Italy. I walked into a local italian music and video store where I inquired with an italian lady for a good restaurant and she suggested me Giovanna's.
    "Ask for Signor Severino" she said.
    And so I did!
    I had such a good lunch and such a pleasant and friendly service that I could not help it: I came back for dinner with my husband!
    He is also european and very spoiled by a gourmet italian cook like me, but he had nothing but good comments on this restaurant: I highly recommend it.
    By the way....when you go ther, ask for Signor Severino!
    Ciao,
    Vanda

Favorite Dish: My son Lorenzo had a lovely pizza with fresh "ciliegine" of mozzarella cheese and fresh basil: the crust was very well made and the taste authentic italian (thank goodness, no ketchup-like pizza sauces! Nobody uses them in Italy).
    Paul had a bruschetta made with a thin and olive oil flavoured focaccia, fresh tomatoes and basil: superb!
    I had "frittura di calamari and gamberi", fried squids and shrimps italian style: very nice.
    Sinful and exquisite "Tiramisu" prepared by Giovanna.
    The espresso cofee was like in an italian cafe': very good choice of beans, strong, creamy and foamy.

• sim1's Profile Photo

Dining in Little Italy

by sim1 Updated May 9, 2003

Crepes with Italian gelato at Giovanna's Trattoria

Besides the restaurant I went to : Giovanna's Trattoria there are many more restaurants on College street in Little Italy. I am glad I choose this one because I enjoyed it a lot, but I wouldn't mind trying out a few more restaurants here as well. I found a website for you with a list of restaurants that you can find in Little Italy :

Favorite Dish:
    Time for dessert at Giovanna's Trattoria : crepes with Italian Gelato... mmmmmmm.... delicious!

• sim1's Profile Photo

Giovanna Trattoria in Little Italy

by sim1 Updated May 5, 2003

Fettuccine Salmone

Giovanna Trattoria is a wonderful restaurant in Little Italy. It is said that it is one of the most authentic Italian restaurants in the city, and I can believe that. The food tasted great! It was almost like being in Italy itself :-)
    The atmosphere is great in the restaurant, the waitress very friendly, the food and the wine are great. There were lots of Italians dining here as well, which made it feel even more authentic as I could hear Italian all around me :-)
    It can get very busy here, especially in the summertime. I was quite early in the evening at the restaurant and got a table right away. But later in the evening there was a long queue waiting for a table.

Favorite Dish:
    I started of with a Brushetta, which tasted very good. But my main course was out of the ordinary : Fettuccine Salmone. The sauce was creamy but also a bit spicy... mmmm, perfectly spice, not too much not too little. But all this without compromising on the taste of the salmon, mmmm, I could taste the salmon above all. It was a perfect combination, delicious!

Instant Answers: Toronto