Le Marche - Movenpick, Toronto

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Movenpick Restaurants Of Switzerland: Swiss Fondue

by grandmaR Updated Apr 12, 2005

From hotel elevator

I went back to the hotel at lunchtime, and walked around in the area to find a place to eat. This Movenpick place looked interesting. Apparently it is a sort of a chain, as there are restaurants with this name in various places in Toronto.

Movenpick Restaurant 416.535.8711 650 Dupont St
    Movenpick Restaurants 416.366.5234 165 York St
    Movenpick Restaurants 416.926.9545 133 Yorkville Ave
    Movenpick Restaurants 416.245.2887 245 Dixon Rd
    Movenpick Restaurants 416.482.4895 3501 Yonge St
    Movenpick Restaurant - Le Marche 416.366.8122
    1500 - 111 Richmond St. W (BCE Place)

I'm pretty sure I did not eat at the La Marche location (the tip group title that I've put it under). I sat at a table and was waited on like a regular restaurant. Not knowing Toronto, I am assuming that I ate at the 111 Richmond St. place W which was near my hotel which was at 145 Richmond St. W.

Favorite Dish: Specialty: Schnitzel and rösti potatoes

I had Gruyer Toast here for lunch. I love cheese. It cost $10.75 CD including tip, which I think was a little much to pay (even if it only works out to $7.42 USD), but it was good.

The website says:
    "Winner of the Best International Dining Award, Mövenpick, a Swiss restaurant, houses four restaurants under one roof. Swiss specialties include rösti, (fried potatoes), rahmschnitzel (pork schnitzel with cream sauce) and herring marinated in red wine. Giving it international flair are dishes such as salmon lasagna, pepper steak, curries, and steak tartare. Theme evenings whisk you off to Italy, the seacoast, Switzerland and gourmet land. For an intimate dining affair try the racelett (cook at your table) in a cozy corner of the Grape and Cheese Wine Bar. Open from 7:30 a.m. to midnight daily, Mövenpick is partially wheelchair accessible."

$$-$$$

4 Star Rating

• jozwitch's Profile Photo

Le Marche - Movenpick: What a cool restaurant!

by jozwitch Updated Aug 29, 2004

We went to Le Marche for a nice, leisurely Sunday breakfast. When we walked in, a woman handed us a card that would be stamped at each station once we got something. We grabbed trays and got in line for omelettes.

The omelette guy was amazing. He made 5 omelettes at a time - all made to order. They were very good. We also stopped and got our fresh squeezed juice. I had strawberry, banana, and orange. Yummy!

Jason had an amazing croissant and some fresh ground and brewed coffee. They do that for each cup! Now that's fresh! I got a monstrous cup of tea. I also got a crepe with chocolate sauce on it. Ooohhhh....I think I could have eaten three. It was so good.

There are seating areas all over the restaurant. We chose a bench with cafe tables in the bakery area. The atmosphere was great. Cobblestone walks, little seating areas, bears on bicycles riding overhead - it was really cute. All in all, we spent $40 and two hours of time there.

Favorite Dish: That crepe was wonderful! I definitely recommend you try the crepes.

• daffodil's Profile Photo

Le Marche - Movenpick: Interesting Format

by daffodil Written Aug 18, 2004

The Marche is a fun atmosphere, where you can walk around and get what you like from different counters (like at an all inclusive resort), and they stamp your card. Sometimes lines can be long and you have to watch out for other bumping into your tray. The food is good, but generally you find that you have spent a lot more money than you thought you would!

Favorite Dish: Crepes- pick your own fillings and made to order. Usually lines are long.

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Le Marche - Movenpick: Sit outside but you're really inside!

by CdnJane Written Mar 3, 2004

Entrance to Marche from BCE place

Some hate it for all the hassles of going around and getting the stamping done. Some hate it because it isn't cheap. Some hate the confusion of how it is laid out. But you know what? I like it. No, not everyday, but once in a while it is special. I love the choices... although sometimes it is so hard to figure out what and where it was I wanted it! I also love sitting out on the "patio" which is actually inside the BCE place... across from the CIBC which is inside too! You feel like you are outside with the high skylighted ceiling.

Favorite Dish: They do great steaks... I love the salads... hmmm the omelets for breakfast... oh yeah, and then there is the swiss Rosti (potatoes), and don't forget the waffles and the crepes... and the icecream... and the fruit... and the oh everything!!! Good coffee too.... especially that double coffee!

• Le Marche - Movenpick: A great fun change

by Hawkwind62 Updated Nov 14, 2003

I went to Le Marche not really knowing what to expect and was very pleased with what I saw. The "buffet" description doesn't do this place justice. The atmosphere was fun and colourful. Although it was very busy, I felt at ease and not rushed at all.

I had a seafod medly in a mild tomato sauce over a bed of rice. This was good but the shrimps were overcooked and had shrunk considerably. Putting these into the medley as ordered would make it much better. If your not especially hungry...desert and a fancy coffee is a great treat. The deserts here are incredible and serving size are more than abundant.

Favorite Dish: I can answer this better after a few visits....

• jshecket's Profile Photo

Le Marche - Movenpick: le Stale Bread

by jshecket Written Nov 4, 2003

This place is not much of a "bonne marche", because that would imply it's a bargain. You basically go around picking items that you don't know the price of, then you eat them, THEN you pay. Definitely don't go here on an empty stomach.

Favorite Dish: All I remember about this place was the stale bread. And that it was near the Hockey Hall of Fame.

• Marché: Choices... choices...

by Grootpiet Updated Jul 14, 2003

A market-type restaurant with everything available from steak, sushi, pasta, stirfry, you name it. Walk around with your tab in hand which gets stamped as soon as you order something. Also a small branch at the Eaton Center and at Bayview/York Mills.

Favorite Dish: The rosti with sour cream and the sushi platter. Their crépes are an excellent way to end the evening.

• acidwarp's Profile Photo

Since i've been there over 10...

by acidwarp Written Sep 7, 2002

Since i've been there over 10 times i must reccommend my favorite restaurant called marche, it's a very unique 'marketstyle' restaurant, where everything is made infront of you. Anything from pasta, stirfry, seafood, fresh desserts, coffee, freshly sqeezed anything juice. There's two in toronto both on front st, one on front and young st, plus a few express ones (eaton center)

Favorite Dish: well daily their pasta menu changes. Was there 5 days ago, and had a salmon, sundried tomatoes, and many other things sooooooo good
    also have excellent stone baked flat pizzas, had a greek one mmmmmm

• Poohgirl_007's Profile Photo

Le Marché: Le Marché

by Poohgirl_007 Updated Sep 4, 2002

This cute restuarant is designed like a marketplace, where you go around and pick what you want and people prepare your food right in front of you. It's a fun, exciting experience but the food is a bit pricey.

• Le Marche: Le Marche

by erin79 Written Aug 26, 2002

It is like you are in an old world food market. You take your ticket to each stand and get whatever dish you want, they stamp your ticket and then you go through the checkout on your way out the door!

Favorite Dish: Stir-fry dishes are great! Also the dessert crepes are to die for!

• voxel999's Profile Photo

Movenpick Marche: Movenpick Marche

by voxel999 Written Aug 26, 2002

It is not 'fine dining', but this restaurant will almost always satisfy your hungry due to its variety.

It is also open until 1-2am.

Favorite Dish: Waffles!

The food is generally pretty good, but a bit expensive for what it is.

• KirstenL4W's Profile Photo

Movenpick Marche. This is a...

by KirstenL4W Written Aug 25, 2002

Movenpick Marche. This is a unique way to eat - the place is set up like a market, with different stations serving different kinds of cuisine. Its a bit confusing at first - when you walk in they give you a ticket with a bunch of boxes on it, and when you order your food from the different stations, they will mark your ticket with what you bought. You can sit down and eat in a cafe like atmosphere (very canned, but charming nonetheless), and when you are ready to leave you give your ticket to the cashier and they add it up and you pay.
    The concept! Its similar to a buffet in that there is an endless selection, but you are not tempted to put a little bit of everything on your plate. I was there for a few hours (I had time to kill) and I didnt feel rushed at all.

Favorite Dish: I only ate there once, but everything I had was great - and cooked to order. I had an individual sized pizza prepared and cooked in a brick oven right before my eyes, and a huge Belgian waffle with ice cream for dessert. Everything was excellent, and everything I didnt have looked great too.

• j&bscotch's Profile Photo

Le Marche - Movenpick: Don't miss the Marche!

by j&bscotch Written Jan 19, 2003

This restaurant is amazing. My husband and I ate here 3 times in one weekend. All kinds of food, prepared fresh in a market-type setting.

Favorite Dish: Definitely try the crepes!

Instant Answers: Toronto