Le Papillon, Toronto

4 out of 5 stars 12 Reviews

16 Church street at Church & Front. 416 363 3773

• I didn't ask for this one, really I didn't!
    I didn't ask for this one, really I...
    by kymbanm
    Told you the desserts where heavenly!
    by kymbanm
  • Kat and her
    Kat and her "Crepe"
    by LoriPori
  • CdnJane's Profile Photo

Le Papillon: Crepes... Wonderful Crepes....

by CdnJane Updated Jun 28, 2010

Crepe aux Champignon (Mushrooms)

Le Papillon was the favourite restaurant of my former in-laws, and I always enjoyed it too, so when looking for a place that was different, and nice, for the VT Toronto Meeting, I thought of it. A chance to give some visitors to Canada a taste of Quebecois and French cooking.
    We had a nice big alcove, sort of a separate room, almost away from the rest of the restaurant. The two waitresses who looked after us, Heather and ??, were very polite and friendly and professional. I thought we were well looked after.
    The other good thing of the restaurant, is the location - not far from the subway, and great if you haven't yet seen the Flatiron building.
    I appreciated Heather, the waitress, making a suggestion of a better white wine at the same price as the house white. Just a little touch, but it was great customer service.

The restaurant partners have split and there are now 2 Papillon restaurants: Le Papillon on the Park and Le Papillon on Front

Favorite Dish: I had the crepe champignon (mushroon) last night, but think my favourite has been the beef bourginon. The desserts were wonderful.
    Why so good? Flavour, quality, and quantity.

• Le Papillon: What a COLD RUDE staff

by HollandaiseHolly Written Aug 11, 2007

COLD & UNINVITING!
    Our waitress was condescending and rude - no attempt was made to be genuine or even polite to us. My guests were appalled at how condescending the server was. There was no effort to made to make us feel like welcome and valued customers. From beginning to end, the atmosphere in the restaurant was cold and uninviting.
    By the time we had left, another server said "Goodbye Kids" as we walked out the door.
    I have never experience such a negative dining experience in Toronto.
    My guests laughingly told me that dessert had never been such a upsetting memory.
    There are many restaurants in Toronto and the staff did not seem to care that we had chosen their restaurant above others that evening.
    My guests and I were respectful upon our arrival, and could not understand why we were treated the way we were.
    I will most certainly never recommend this restaurant to any of my local or visiting friends,
    nor ever support their business again after this experience.

Favorite Dish: COLD & UNINVITING!
    I have never experience such a negative dining experience in Toronto.
    nor ever support their business again after this experience.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Le Papillon: Great French Food

by pieter_jan_v Written Jun 24, 2007

Le Papillon

I was introduced to Le Papillin by my VT-friend olive8.

It was really a good choice, the food was excellent and the atmosphere was wonderful.

Before I knew the evening was gone; time really flew by.

Favorite Dish: The crepes; I had one with spinach.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• Le Papillon: Great food and great service

by dmonahan Written Nov 1, 2006

This is a large place, but the room is broken up enough that it is not noisy. Both the food and the service were outstanding.

Favorite Dish: Having grown up in one of the Merrimack Valley towns with lots of French Canadians, we were excited to see Tourtière on the menu. We hadn't had it for years, and this one is as good as the home made ones we remember.

• NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo

Le Papillon: French Cuisine Done Well!

by NC_Ziggy Updated Dec 10, 2005

Believe it or not, this is my last Toronto tip. Did I hear someone say "Finally!"? Hmmph! I thought so...

I must make a note to myself on any subsequent VT meetings not to forget to take a picture of the restaurant as again I failed to provide one for you here. I Suck!

Le Pappillon was a very good venue for our Saturday evening meal! We had good attendence and the food did not disappoint. Uh, as we don't have any French restaurants in Hickory (Surprise! Surprise!) I could only compare it to my previous trips to France... favorably! I had pork cutlet with potatoes and asparagus which was well prepared and tasty. However, most memorable was the salad and escargot that Hot Sauce and I shared! YumYum! A great combination of tastes & flavors!

Ok, that's all folks! I'm sure there are more interesting tips about Le Pappillon from others there so I will let you have at them! If you are reading this, thanks so much for your time and attention. I hope I haven't disappointed but given some honest opinions about my time in Toronto. It's a great place and one that I hope you may have the good fortune to visit!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Le Papillon: Great place to have a VT meet

by Dabs Written Nov 28, 2005

Le Papillon was the well chosen restaurant selected for the 2nd night of the massive September 2005 VT meeting and they handled the crowd quite well, the service was organized, the bills correct, people at the same table got served at approximately the same time. We had our own space, not entirely blocked off from the rest of the patrons but secluded enough that we didn't bother anyone (well, except for the "hot guy" that some of the VT ladies dragged off the street and he didn't appear to be complaining!)

Favorite Dish: Although there were other dishes offered, the main offering on the menu was crepes. I started with a savoury crepe which was very tasty and filling but I just couldn't pass on the dessert crepes, the Crepe Banana Royale, bananas, almonds, ice cream, chocolate rum sauce and whipped cream, was divine and enough to serve two.

• kymbanm's Profile Photo

Le Papillon: Crepes, Crepes, and more Crepes!

by kymbanm Written Oct 3, 2005

I didn't ask for this one, really I didn't!

I ran from the airport directly to this location as I was already an hour and a half late for the VT Meet / Dinner arranged by Jane and Laura. So here I am, entering this NICE restaurant w/ my large pack on my back, another bag slung across my body, and my little travel purse somewhere ....... the staff were kind and immediately directed me to the room the crew was already munching away in :) I entered and was greated with such warmth from all the VTers in attendance!

Brad had saved a chair for me at his table, and I immediately began visiting w/ all the online friends that I was finally meeting in 3D! Our waitress was helpful, I had narrowed my selection down to 2 dishes, and she helped me choose the one she thought was best, and fast as that was one of my stipulations ... afterall, I needed to catch up before everyone else got into their dessert! Of course, since I stepped out to visit in the smoking area on the curb with a few folks, my dish ended up under warming lights until I got back to the table :)

Favorite Dish: I ordered the Crepe Manon - which was good, just a little too rich for me as the Bechamel sauce overpowered the spinach and mushrooms in the crepe. The iced tea was good and refreshing ..... but the bits of Balfor's Creme Brule that I snagged were the BEST!!! I was so rushed, I don't know if I can properly review the menu ..... but I can say, the desserts make this restaurant something exceptional!

• Business Travel

• keida84's Profile Photo

Le Papillon: Crepes, crepes, and more crepes!

by keida84 Written Sep 29, 2005

Sign for Le Papillon

I had the pleasure of dining at this restaurant on Saturday night of the Toronto VT Meeting. I must say, a better choice would be hard pressed to find. A quaint French restaurant in the downtown region of Toronto, Le Papillon is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.

Depsite the "closed" quarters of the back room, the staff assembled the tables perfectly to accomodate the 30+ VT'ers. We were able to move around, take pictures and carry on conversations without problem. The highly efficient staff moved in and out through the throng and delivered the hot, tasty food and drink without spilling a drop; and they were able to accomplish this despite the continual flash from all the cameras.

The restaurant was being used for a film the next day and that is why there was a lot of Christmas greenery about.

Favorite Dish: I had the Crêpe Jacqueline which was filled with bacon, fresh apple and cheddar cheese. I had 2 martini's, 1 vodka martini with extra olives and a sour apple martini which was very good. For dessert, (I would never leave a french restaurant without trying dessert) I enjoyed a Meringue glacée:
    Meringue shells with ice cream, chocolate sauce and whipped cream, oh boy that evening's meal cost me 2 days on the treadmill for an hour!!!!

You can eat reasonably well here with little expense, the reason my dinner was costly was due to the martini's and dessert. (The price I quote below includes gratuity)

• Luxury Travel

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

Le Papillon: FRENCH AND QUEBECOIS FARE

by LoriPori Written Sep 29, 2005

Le Papillon Sign

On Saturday night our VT dinner-meeting was held at the LE PAPILLON restaurant. French and Quebecois fare such as crepes, bretonnes, tourtiere, steak frites, onion soup and escargot. It was a lovely atmosphere as we had our own dining area and the staff was awesome. They did a wonderful job despite most of us hopping all over the place to take pictures and talk to fellow VT'ers.

Favorite Dish: Hans, Kat and I had the crepes, for which they are well known. I had a delectable ham and cheese crepe with slices of apple which added a nice sweet taste to the crepe. Tres Magnifique.

• shohman's Profile Photo

Le Papillon: Le Papillon

by shohman Written Sep 28, 2005

Le Papillion

Night two of the VT meet was held here. Once again we had a room to ourselves. Food was very good, but I was saddened to find when we asked for water they brought bottles of Evian, which cost and arm and a leg.

Favorite Dish: I had a wonderful crepe filled with bacon, cheddar and sliced apple.

• Le Papillon: Excellent Crêpes & a great atmosphere

by Grootpiet Updated Jul 14, 2003

Le Papillon

An excellent place for a dinner for two. The food is great (especially the crêpes), and the prices reasonable (for Toronto at least). Tucked away downtown it's also an easy pre-theatre meet. Parking at Dominion's garage across the main intersection.

Favorite Dish: Favourite dish is the pepper steak, with their occasional oxtail a close second.

• MURRA's Profile Photo

Le Papillon: french restaurant

by MURRA Written Sep 26, 2005

poisson

vt evening meal
    we decided to take fotos of our food
    this was poisson 'Fish'

this restaurant also has french canadian dishs

Favorite Dish: deserts have style

Instant Answers: Toronto

Comments

Hotels Near Le Papillon
3.5 out of 5 stars