Places to eat in Toronto

Most Viewed Restaurants in Toronto

• rsilva's Profile Photo

Saint Cinnamon: Cinnamon delight

by rsilva Written Nov 23, 2005

Having grown up in Sweden, some of my earliest memories include cinnamon buns.
    Ever since I moved out of there it has become more and more difficult to get them as they are not very common in the rest of Europe.
    Canada, however, is a whole different story. You can find them quite easily, but still this place sells the best ones I have had outside Sweden. The name "Saint Cinnamon" says it all. Everything has cinnamon on it - which is nice. You can get small or large buns, cinnamon sticks and other stuff. I usually keep to the buns as they are the best.
    There seem to be more locations, but the one I know is on the bottom level of the Eaton Center, at the end by the food court.

Buy 3 and get one for free!

Wether it is for breakfast, dessert or just as a snack, they are highly recommended.

Favorite Dish: Cinnamon Buns

• rsilva's Profile Photo

Irish Embassy Pub Grill: Irish Pub/sports bar

by rsilva Written Nov 23, 2005

This restaurant/pub was just across the street from my hotel and since the hotel restaurant was being renovated, this place seemed appropriate for my Saturday Brunch.

Being an Irish pub, it tries to to set the athmosphere by playing Irish music (some Chieftans, Van Morisson, etc) and it also has some Irish stews on the menu, but that is as far as it goes.

There are TV's all over the place. I counted at least 15, personally I am not very fond of TV's while I am eating as I am easily distracted.

As I mentioned, I came for the brunch and had a quite good Steak an Eggs. However, there was quite a bit of a draft and, although I was far away from the entrance, the food got cold in no time, which was a bit unpleasant. I guess there is not much you can do about it.

I went back with some friends for drinks a few days later, we decided to have some fries that were, in my opinion, really awful. My friends seemed to have enjoyed them in any case.
    We wanted to order 2 servings, but the waitress was quite nice and told us that one should be enough as it was large and that we could order more later. It was in fact enough.

Service was friendly and efficient, both times.

Prices were also good at about 15-20 CAD per person for a meal and drink.

• tpal's Profile Photo

The Richtree Market: Le Marche By Any Other Name....

by tpal Updated May 5, 2005

At the Yonge Street end of BCE Place you will find a restaurant that is as much theater as it is eating establishment. This is not "dinner theater" mind you...no Andrew Lloyd Weber with your entree. This is the Richtree Market and here they present food preparation theater.

The restaurant was previously known as Le Marche Movenpick but has opted for their new name for what appears to be little more than corporate convenience. Fortunately, the name revision hasn't seemed to affect the show or the food. The design is still that of a French street market or marche organized with more than a little intentional confusion. As you wander the "streets and alleys" you can find all sorts of food delights from pasta dishes, seafoods, vegetarian plates, coffees, desserts, and much more. Most dishes are prepared fresh before you as you order.

I've eaten here several times and I've finally started to understand how to order. Basically, there is no menu. The food stations are the menu. So, you have to say to yourself, "just because everything is here doesn't mean I MUST ORDER EVERYTHING!" Even though it all looks good and smells great (not bad marketing) stick to ONE main dish...and maybe a side...and just a taste of that stuff he's having...and oh that looks really gooood...and I'll come back for dessert...well, maybe next time I'll get right.

Favorite Dish: In fact, Carol and I were kind of smart this time. We went to Richtree for breakfast. Much less tempting. We each had Omelets to order and coffee. The bill came to about $15 USD.

The Richtree Market

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

ROL JUI SEAFOOD RESTAURANT: CHINATOWN

by LoriPori Updated Oct 11, 2006

As it was Sunday and our Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, there wasn't much open in the neighbourhood of the King Edward, so we hired a taxi and went to Chinatown. We picked the ROL JUI SEAFOOD RESTAURANT as it was busy with locals, so it must be good - right!. And it was. The six of us - Hans and I, Berni and Carl, Wendy and Brent - ordered the special combination dinner for five people. It was already 8:00 p.m. and we were all starving. The food came out quickly. First the Hot and Sour Soup and the vegetable Spring rolls. The soup was amazing. Chunks of tofu in a delectable spicy and yet sweet broth. Then came the sizzling beef tenderloin with black pepper in a superb sauce. Next was the baby bochoy with garlic sauce, the B.B.Q. Pork fried rice and the crispy deep fried chicken - all wonderful. I tried to eat with the chopsticks, but could only get one little morsel at a time, so I just dug in with my fork - I'm such a schlep!. Berni and Carl were doing amazingly with their chopsticks - real pros. After dinner, we walked around a bit in Chinatown, but as it was already 9:30 p.m. and Sunday night, most of the stores were already closed for the evening. So we called Ali with the minivan taxi and he returned us to the King Edward.

Rol Jui Seafood Restaurant Baby Bochoy with garlic sauce Wendy

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

Gold Stone Noodle Restaurant: Gold Stone Noodle Restaurant

by Kaspian Updated May 16, 2011

This cafeteria-style Chinese restaurant is quick, cheap, and very popular. The service isn't overly friendly because the wait staff have to run around so fast, but they keep your glass of green tea topped at all times. The atmosphere is frenzied, as the staff serve up dishes extremely quick. The menu has a massive array of dishes (400+ items), from traditional Chinese to more Westernized versions of the foods. The portions are huge and very tasty. You'll only need 3 dishes to stuff a table of two.
    The decor is simple, wall to ceiling mirrors on one side and full-length windows on the other. The tables and chairs have seen better days.
    However, they don't get full marks for cleanliness (despite what other online reviews say), everything looks like it needs a good washdown with bleach--from the tabletops to the menus and cutlery. But if you want to have a good full meal where the local Chinese families stop in downtown (we went in because it looked so popular), this is an awesome little place. You don't need reservations here and they probably won't take them.

Favorite Dish: General Tao's Chicken (This is the "must have" dish when in Toronto's Chinatown.) My brother once ordered it as a joke but my friends and I have all come to love and crave the "pepper-steak spaghetti". This restaurant is also famous for their noodles and I've heard the chow mein is one of the best in town. I've also heard the BBQ is the best in town.

Gold Stone Restaurant (2005) Gold Stone - Inside (2006) Gold Stone - Kitchen (2006) Gold Stone - Assorted Dishes (2006)

• lohki's Profile Photo

Goldfish Cusine: Another One Flushed!

by lohki Updated Apr 4, 2011

Wow things happen fast in Toronto. I swear one day I was walking in my neighbourhood and Goldfish Cusine was open for business. Two days later it was GONE! There is now a new restaurant in it's place called "Asian Republic" and it appears to be ready for customers.
    Of course the LAST thing Bloor Street needs between Spadina St and Bathurst Street is yet ANOTHER Asian eatery. Sheesh I now count five Sushi joints, four Thai restaurants and one Korean BBQ... all in one block.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Open for dinner, except during Summer/Winterlicious festival when they have a 15.00 prixe fix lunch menu (20.00 for dinner). Usually runs in July and February.

The restaurant always has great reviews in the paper and a freind swears by their Sweet Potato Ravioli.

Lovely inside with great attention to detail. I adored that the salt and pepper rest in little mounds on a tiny dish.

Favorite Dish: The salmon was fabulous, as well as the mixed green salad with pears.

Cheesecake to die for!

• Martman's Profile Photo

MISTER GREEK: Excellent Greek Food

by Martman Updated Mar 17, 2006

I love foreign food but my favorite is Greek. I find Greek restaurants generally extremely tasty and excellent value for money. My favorite Greek restaurant is called "Mr. Greek." Each time I visit, I have an excellent reasonably priced.

In two of the pictures here, the MR. GREEK is physically attached to the properties on each side. That branch on the west side of Yonge Street, just north of the 401 highwayt. That area used to be North York but is now part of the extended Toronto city.

The other two pictures of MR. GREEK is also on the west side of Yonge Street, but north of highway 7 at the corner of Yonge and Carrville. It is also opposite Hillcrest Mall. I believe this area is Richmond Hill, a separate town from Toronto but included in the Greater Toronto Area.
    I frequent the Richmond Hill branch most often because I live close. I suggest that you check their website, given below, to find the branch nearest you. If you want to enjoy Greek Atmosphere and a night out, you may wish to try their branch at the Danforth, which is the heart of the Greek area.

Favorite Dish: I like their entire menu. Everything is excellent. My personal favorite, however, is the gyros. Gyros is spiced strips of meat taken from a rotisserie. It is extremely tasty and filling at a reasonable price. I should also mention that it is not just the main dishes that I like.
    The sides are also consistantly superb. Among those to choose from, I love their Greek Salad.

Close view of MR. GREEK Further view of MR. GREEK North side of Richmond Hill MR. GREEK East side of Richmond Hill MR. GREEK Night View: Eglinton branch, just east of Yonge

• NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo

The Artful Dodger: I Was a Regular! My HomeBase!

by NC_Ziggy Updated Dec 9, 2005

One common theme in my travels seems to be finding a place I enjoy and feel comfortable. I think this is most important for a number of reasons. I'm not quite sure why this "comfortable" place always seems to be a pub or similiar establishment, but it does. How lucky I was to find "The Artful Dodger" on the same street as my lodgings, only a block away, and a stone's throw from Yonge Street!

The "On the Street" area that you will see in these pictures give some indication of the care & atmosphere created by the proprietor and he (or she) surely knows how to create a place that makes you want to return... nay, allows you to look forward to being there! I always took a table outside as it provided me an interesting view of Toronto. The inside seemed very much like I would imagine an English Pub to appear and the regular appearance of patrons seen again and again would indicate that this was a place to call one's own.

The menu was varied and somewhat typical fare, and as I only ate here once I cannot attest to a great many selections. But, I did see some great looking choices that patrons made and if sight and aroma counts for anything, it's definitely above average!

I just enjoyed being there and what more can you ask? The waitstaff was friendly and attentive. The "Dodger" suited me well. The New Castle draft was refreshing. And, best of all, I was a 3 minute walk from the Cromwell Suites. Perfect!

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed "The Artful Dodger" more as a filling station, a place of refuge & revigoration, and a place to end the excitement of a VT day. Still, on the evening Hot Sauce and I met here, we had a few beers (a few?) and also enjoyed a meal of appetizers. We had the Nacho Platter, Wings, and something else that escapes me now. All was good & plentiful. Next time here I promise to try some of the offerings I saw others enjoying.

For food or for brew, I think you will find this place most accomodating and well worth a visit. When in Toronto again, I Will Be Back, and I think that's the greatest compliment that you can give!

The Only Daytime Photo... Hmmm... Double Image... Just as Me Eyes! Hot Sauce- My Partner in Crime! A More Familiar View... At Night! My Favorite Waitperson at The Dodger!

• lohki's Profile Photo

New Generation Sushi: Freshly Painted. No Fire In Sight.

by lohki Updated Oct 6, 2006

There was a fire here last year.... so everything inside is brand new, clean and spacious and bright.

This is my new fav spot for lunch.... as per all sushi joints on this strip $5.99 gets you a healthy lunch.

Service is FRIENDLY, very fast and lively.

Be warned though, lunch hour is very busy so either go right at noon, or wait until 3 ish until it
    calms down a little bit.

Lunch menus are from 12:00 - 5:00 pm.

Favorite Dish: The Crunch Maki Roll (lunch) is very yummy and comes with cucumber roll and of course salad and miso.

Here you have to ask for the green tea but it is complimentary.

Crunch Lunch!
    • Study Abroad
    • Singles

Starbucks Coffee: Starbucks in Toronto

by freddie18 Updated Jan 25, 2009

There are far too many Starbucks Coffee in downtown Toronto. It's literally in every corner!
    As this is the most popular coffee shop in the world, a lot has been said about it. The aroma of the wonderful coffee that is served in every store is a proof that this will continue to prosper.

One of the photos I posted is located in downtown Toronto just adjacent to my office. It is in Adelaide Street close to Canada Post Office. Almost every morning, as soon as I get off the King subway station, it becomes a daily routine to drop by and order a cup of my favourite roast and enjoy every drop on my desk.

The other two photos of Starbucks beside Canada Trust Bank were taken in the major intersection of Bay & Queen Streets also in downtown Toronto. The other one is a Starbucks at Yonge Street also in Downtown Toronto.

Starbucks at Corner of Bay & Queen Streets Starbucks at King Subway Station Starbucks Across the Toronto City Hall Starbucks at Yonge Street in Downtown Toronto Starbucks Coffee in Toronto

Eaton Centre Fastfood: Lot of choices at Eaton's Centre Fastfood

by freddie18 Updated Oct 13, 2007

Looking for a particular dish? If you are at Eaton's Centre or anywhere close to it, come to the Fastfod restaurants. It is a little bit crowded at times although there are two fastfood areas within the shopping mall. But mind you, you have a lot of choices of food, and that is very important.

You will find the fastfoods on two entrances, and that is the Dundas and Queen Streets.

Favorite Dish: You have to chose between Italian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Arabic, Jamaican, and Vietnamese. There you will find Sbarro, Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC), MacDonalds and other well-known restaurants.

Cheap & lots of choices
    • School Holidays
    • Women's Travel

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

The Market Garden: Conveniently Located in the Delta Chelsea

by Bwana_Brown Written Jun 10, 2004

The Market Garden is located off the lobby of the Delta Chelsea hotel on the ground floor. It is quite a large restaurant serving buffet style meals where you pick up a tray and wander around to the various counters loading up with whatever you want. They have cooks behind some of the counters preparing fresh pizzas or cooking a breakfast omelette, etc. There was plenty of seating capacity and it even had outdoor seating.

Favorite Dish: I arrived on an evening flight and did not feel like eating out by myself in an expensive restaurant, so I decided a quick meal here would be my best bet. Their vegetarian pizza looked really good - tons of veggies of all sorts on it so, a large slice of that filled the gap quite nicely! The next morning, I returned for breakfast and had them cook me an egg as I waited. However, with some hash brown potatoes, toast, orange juice, bacon and coffee the bill came to C$13 (US$9), which is not too bad for a downtown restaurant I guess.

Food Counters in the Market Garden
    • Business Travel

• RACCOON1's Profile Photo

St. Lawrence Market: Good Fast Food

by RACCOON1 Written Jul 25, 2004

A good place for bereakfast, lunch or maybe even dinner is St. Lawrence Market.

Many Torontonians eat a meal here when they go grocery shopping .

There is a very good bakery that sells good Danish Pastries.

Check out the top and bottom levels before you decide what to eat .

The Market is closed Sunday and Monday . It is open:
    Saturday 5:00 am to 5:00 pm
    Friday 8:00 am to 7:00 pm
    Tues/Wed/Thurs 8:00 am to 6:00 pm

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

The Last Temptation: The Last Temptation

by Kaspian Updated Jun 5, 2008

Have you ever found yourself twice within the same year inexplicably sitting in the same table, on the same patio, at the same time of day, in a large city you don't live in, thinking "Weird, how is it that I'm here again?" But when hunger or thirst pangs strike, you look for what's available right?
    Last fall, on a warm afternoon during the Toronto VT meet, I was accosted in Kensington Market by two of the lovely ladies of VT (Hexepatty and ellielou) and told, "Ed! Let's sit down on this patio and drink some beer!" And we did. The patio was so comfortable that we sat for hours drinking pitchers and talking to a crazy man from Liverpool who was sitting at the table beside us. It's a nice, quiet spot to sit and people watch. "The Last Temptation", to its credit, has lots of different beers on tap.
    Fast forward almost a year, and I'm walking through Kensington on a hot summer day with another VTer (saccharinicity) when we realize we're starving, need some shade, rest, food, and drinks. I look to my left, and there's "The Last Temptation" again. This time I ask for menus and we order food.
    What a great menu! It's mostly pub fare but also lists a lot of vegetarian and spicy Asian dishes. I order a grilled cheese while my companion orders an avocado and swiss sandwich. The waitresses are a bit confused over which of them serves what table, but they're still quick and friendly.
    Trendy hipsters, goofy emo-kids, senior citizens, and even a family with children sit at the outdoor tables. There are baskets of flowers suspended around the patio, and little pink floral arrangements in vases on the table.
    The sandwiches come quickly and they are delicious--it's a very fat-bread grilled cheese! This place is perfect! It offers shade in the afternoon, a great place to people-watch, and cool service. I hope I coincidentally end up at The Last Temptation again!

The Last Temptation (2006) The Last Temptation - Inside (2006) The Last Temptation - Flowers (2006)
    • Singles
    • Beer Tasting

Golden Thai Restaurant: The Best Thai Cuisine in Toronto

by freddie18 Updated Jan 22, 2009

I have been patronizing Golden Thai for many years being close to my office in Toronto. I can recommend this restaurant whether you are a resident or just in town for a visit to enjoy a taste of Thailand while you are here.

This restaurant became an institution and has been serving the public for over 15 years now. For detailed information on the Menu, Reservation, and Direction, visit their website I provided below.

Come along and enjoy Thai cuisine with your family and friends!

Favorite Dish: I always order my favourite dish such as;

CALAMARI - Tender squid in batter with Golden Thai sauce.
    COCONUT SHRIMP - Flash fried shrimp rolled in coconut served with Golden Thai sauce.

Front - Inside the Restaurant The old building of Golden Thia Thai Decor inside the Restaurant Sample of the Food Tables inside the Golden Thai
    • Music

Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Emerald Isle Motel
Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Instant Answers: Toronto

Comments

Toronto Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Toronto locals.
Map of Toronto