Pappas Grill, Toronto

3.5 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars - 9 Reviews

440 Danforth 416-469-9595

Who ARE These People? ;-)
    by NC_Ziggy
    Pappas Grill
    by LoriPori
  • We were there for the company & not the food
    We were there for the company & not the...
    by keida84
  • LoriPori's Profile Photo

Pappas Grill: GREEKTOWN

by LoriPori Written Sep 29, 2005

Hans Lori Kat & Emily at Pappas Grill

Our Friday night VT dinner-meeting was held at PAPPAS GRILL in Greektown. We had the whole downstairs to ourselves. Good thing, as we did get a little rowdy later. Just good, clean fun. There was a lot of picture-taking and VT'ers getting to know other VT'ers.

Favorite Dish: Unfortunately, I did not enjoy my meal. I ordered a half roasted chicken @ $12.95. The chicken was greasy and tasteless and I only took a few bites out of it and left the rest on my plate. Along with the chicken was a roasted potato and very dry white rice.

• keida84's Profile Photo

Pappas Grill: For a Greek Restaurant the Pizza was Good

by keida84 Written Sep 30, 2005

We were there for the company & not the food

The restaurant has bi-level dining rooms and for our recent VT Meeting we were given the downstairs dining room. This was excellent because it had a bar and accomodated the noisy VT crowd. I enjoyed the facilities and the staff was most accomodating, the only problem was there were not enough servers for the large party of 30+ poeple. They only had one waiter for the entire party. This poor guy tried valiantly to keep up but unfortunately through no fault of his own, he failed miserably. Food orders were sporadic and none of us seemed to eat at the same time. I had a personal pizza which was good but I know that my friends ordered chicken and it was not palatable at all!

Favorite Dish: The only dish I tried was the Margharita pizza, the crust was good not chewy and the tomatoes and cheese were very good.

• NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo

Pappas Grill: Pappas Gets VT'd!!!

by NC_Ziggy Updated Dec 9, 2005

Who ARE These People?  ;-)

I was not on my VT toes on this first VT meeting. I admit to being a bit nervous (which quickly went away!) and it caused me to totally forget about taking exterior pictures of Pappas Grill. I can easily say that this restaurant was very friendly and a perfect place to begin a memorable weekend!

At first, the staff seemed to be as overcome with us as we were with each other, but both of us found our stride and soon all was well in tune. We dined, talked, laughed, danced (well, some danced) and mingled in the downstairs area. As the restrooms were also located on this level, I imagine that we got more than the usual look of curiosity from other patrons, but that's ok! It would be hard not to see the friendliness & genuine pleasure of being together that this VT group created.

Cudos to Pappas Grill and the VT ladies that brought us here!

Favorite Dish: Now I know why VT Ambassador Stephanie gave us VT notebooks! To make notes, maybe? I'm not sure, but think I had Soulvaki of some sort as my meal but I DO remember having no complaints and the prices here were very reasonable. So, I will leave it up to other VT members in attendance to provide more details. Surely someone out of 40 people can do a much better job than me on restaurant tips!

• shohman's Profile Photo

Pappas Grill: Pappas Grill

by shohman Updated Oct 7, 2005

Pappas

This was the sight of the VT meet's first dinner. It's located in Greektown and we had a room downstairs. To be honest, there was so much commotion with so many people meeting for the first time, it's a wonder we ever got a chance to eat. But eat we did, and people danced and some tried to bribe free drinks from the waiter with kisses. Pappas was a great time.

Favorite Dish: I had a pizza with feta, marinated artichokes and tomato. mmm, it was delicious!

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Pappas Grill: The Greeks Let Us Party And the Food Was Good Too!

by CdnJane Written Sep 24, 2005

Great North American Pizza

The Toronto 2005 VT Meeting was started off by dinner here at Pappa's Grill, out on The Danforth. It was a great choice - thanks Laura (hayward68)! - and the restaurant gave us the downstairs area, which was perfect for us. The staff treated us well and it made for a good evening. The location was easy to get to - exactly one block east of the Chester subway station.
    A party like that made it difficult to really get a feel of the "normal" ambiance of the restaurant. However, a restaurant that encourages its patrons to enjoy themselves has a lot going for it! The menu was great, covered not just Greek cuisine, but pretty much had something for every taste, including some children's selections too. A pretty good wine selection too, it seemed - and they served Guinness!
    One comment is that the washrooms are downstairs so it isn't disabled-friendly, unless there is some facilities on the street level for the disabled. Also, obviously, as they let our group have the lower level, that would not be suitable for those unable to handle stairs.
    Another interesting thing was that amongst the Greek decor, there were a lot of Canadiana artwork - Group of Seven, Sketch of Old Town... Lovely but not exactly Greek!!!

Favorite Dish: I had a taste of Murra (Robert)'s shrimp..bruchetta mix is about the best way to describe it. It was delicious and went well with the bread that was on the table.
    The pizza was delicious. Lots of cheese, which pleased this cheese-aholic no end. It was a lot of pizza, it seemed to me, for an individual serving, however, when you are hungry it was pretty easy to get it all down! The crust was nice and thin, and just the right crispiness. I would highly recommend the pizza to anyone. However, I think perhaps I would order it with another dish and share with another person.

• rmdw's Profile Photo

Pappas Grill: Good Food in the heart of GreekTown

by rmdw Written Sep 27, 2005

VT'ers Assembled outside of Pappas Grill

This is the restaurant chosen for the dinner on the first night of the 2005 Toronto VT Meeting. I enjoyed it a lot. I thought the food, especially the tarmasalata, was quite good - not the very best Greek food I've ever had - but quite good. Some felt that the service was slow. But with only 1 waiter assigned to our large group, I don't think this would be the same ratio if one were normally eating here.

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• travelteacher's Profile Photo

Pappas Grill: Mediterranian in Greektown

by travelteacher Written Jan 4, 2004

Pappas offers a combination Greek and Italian menu with a cool interior. They have a decent wine list that is quite reasonably priced.

Favorite Dish: PIKILIA is the sampler of appetizer dips. The best of the dips is the scorthalia which is a garlic potato deal. They have a decent selection of vegetarian items (try the "heart and soul" pizza). They also have great breakfast/brunch.

• Pappas Grill (Toronto - Danforth): NEVER AGAIN! STAY AWAY FROM THIS SHAMELESS PLACE!

by ily426 Written Aug 16, 2011

Monday, Aug 15 - Lunch.
    This is the first time that I'm writing a review online. This should be enough to tell you how outraged I was by how BAD this restaurant was.
    I ordered the Bacon and Canadian Cheddar Burger ($11), without onions and with the bacon well-done - I specifically asked "not to see any fat" in the bacon. What I got was something with onions and 2 pieces of bacon fat. But this was nothing when compared with the burger itself: it was DISGUSTING! I cannot imagine what the patty was made out of, it had the looks and consistency of dog food, it was so salty that I had to spit out the one and only mouthful, and it was burned to cinders. (I should mention here that I do eat rather salty and I do like my foods on the crispy side, but this was not edible).
    I sent it back and, thinking that I would be safe, I ordered the Spanakopita with Greek salad ($13). Vain hope!
    The "Spanakopita" was actually something like a borek, a coil of tub-like stuffed pastry, FRIED, not baked, a greasy something that had absolutely no taste. The Greek salad consisted of a few leaves of Romaine with a skimpy sprinkle of Feta and one (1) wedge of cardboard-like, unripe, tomato.
    My mother ordered the Fettucine Marinara ($17), described in the menu as "Fresh mussels, tiger shrimp and scallops in a white wine fresh tomato sauce". After taking the order, the waitress came back to apologize because they had run out of mussels and to ask if my mother wanted to change her order or if she wanted them to double on the quantity of one of the other ingredients. My mother chose this second option. What she received was a plate of fettucine swamped in what looked like canned tomato paste, lots of onions, and five (5) small shrimps (1-inch) - NOT tiger-shrimps - and two (2) very small pieces of scallops. It was so ridiculous that we joked guessing if the shrimps or the scallops were the "double" quantity!
    My husband ordered the Sea Bass - a small piece of white fish with not much else around it - and ate it stoically. His only comment was that he hoped he will not get an upset stomach from it.
    Yes, we did mention to the waitress that the food was sub-par - her only comment was that she's not the one making it. Obviously, she knew better than to waste her time communicating this to the Chef or the owner...
    I have rarely eaten in a place worse than this one. The food was disgusting and left us all with the feeling that we were there just to be skinned. FOR SHAME!.

• sahlenare's Profile Photo

Pappas Grill: This Greek rest. makes one fantastic Tsatziki!!!!

by sahlenare Written Sep 24, 2005

My pork souvlaki

We went here for our Toronto VT meet and the food and service were excellent!!!

Favorite Dish: I had tsatziki and pork souvlaki, so tasteful and so much food!!!!

Instant Answers: Toronto

Comments

Hotels Near Pappas Grill
3.5 out of 5 stars