Rodney's Oyster House, Toronto

• Rodney's Oyster House
    by HansBrinker
  • Zee Grill & Oyster Bar: Fantastic seafood with a different twist

by HansBrinker Written Jan 6, 2007

Outstanding food and ambiance. The feel is east coast crab shack with some west coast elegance. The menu consist mainly of fresh fish and seafood. Great oyster bar with a large variety of fresh oysters and a live tank filled with lobsters and crabs. My favorites are the crab cakes and the grilled jumbo black tigers. Salt cured duck carpaccio and the parfait de foie gras are incredible. Great spot for a romantic dinner or just for a splurge of oysters and a glass of bubbly. Summertime patio for a romantic outdoors dinner.

Favorite Dish: Lobster roll is amazing. The dish looks like an Asian spring roll but the skin is made of pear and is quite the surprise when you taste it for the first time.

• Business Travel

• rsilva's Profile Photo

Rodney's Oyster Bar: Seafood heaven

by rsilva Written Nov 23, 2005

I had heard about this place but not had the chance to visit it until the last day of our stay, when strolling back to the hotel, after going to the theater, I noticed it.
    Since my girlfriend is an avid seafood lover (I love fish, but usually stay away from seafood) we did not hesitate to go in.

Before you enter the actual restaurant there is a room filled with aquariums where you have live lobsters, oysters, clams and all sorts of seafood. Apparently, this is a place where you can buy all this and take it home. Good start.

We then got a "booth" to sit in and ordered a dose of oysters. After that we had a whole lobster and a very nice Halibut - Large portion, nicely cooked, tasty with good presentation (that's the way I like it). The waitress came by the table and showed us the live lobster - "Will this one do?". I guess that is as fresh as it gets.

To finish in style, I had a very nice Belgian chocolate mousse.

On top of this, the music was excellent (for my taste), they were playing a great mix of 70s-80s rock music (CCR, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, AC/DC etc). As if I really needed another reason to like this place :)

Service was also very good and prices were reasonable for a seafood restaurantd. Oysters go for just over 2 CAD each (depending on the type, there are at least 5 types, all Canadian). Lobster was just under 30 CAD per pound, so an average lobster is about 50 CAD.
    The bill for 2 people was 130 CAD including tip, but if you stay away from the lobster, you can get a great meal for about 35-40 CAD per person.

This place is definetly on my list for next time I visit Toronto!

The website is really nice and gives you some good background information that will make you appreciate the place even more

Favorite Dish: As an oyster bar, you can't really go wrong with the oysters, but everything was just great.

Instant Answers: Toronto

Comments

Hotels Near Rodney's Oyster House
2.5 out of 5 stars