Ruth's Chris Steak House, Toronto

145 Richmond Street West, Toronto, ON (416)955-1455

• Ruth's Chris Steak House
    by rsilva
  • Ruth's Cris with advertisement from website
    Ruth's Cris with advertisement from...
    by grandmaR
  • rsilva's Profile Photo

Ruth's Chris Steak House: The best steak in town?

by rsilva Written Nov 24, 2005

I wanted to go back to Barberians as I had enjoyed it so much last time, but when I discussed it with some locals, I was told Ruth's Chris was actually better. Who am I to doubt that?

There are several of these restaurants around the United States (mainly) and Canada. This one is located right next to the Hilton hotel in Toronto.
    To access the actual restaurant, you must take the lift down, that will take you to a very dark room. It might not be of everyone's liking, but I find it quite "cozy".

We had a quite delicious "Porterhouse steak for two" which, although quite large, left me wanting more as it was so tender and tasty... at 98.95 CAD, I was expecting it though.
    Also, contrary to what the waitress said, the potato side dish (fries, mashed, baked, etc) is NOT enough for two people. I also don't like the fact that they charge you for this (7.95 CAD) when you are already paying top-dollar for the meat.

According to the waitress, all steaks are cooked in an infrared oven at 1800° F to preserve the flavour and the juices. It is then served on a heated plate that will keep it warm throughout the whole meal.
    Obviously, the steaks are aged to perfection (until recently, I had no idea that steaks should be aged - read this for more information) and hand-cut.

There is a quite extensive (and expensive) wine list. Expect to pay at least 60 CAD per person (plus tip) for a meal.

Service was great, friendly and efficient, just as I like it.

I consider this restaurant to be better than Barberians (See my other tip).

Favorite Dish: I would not dare to try anything else than the steak - it's amazing!

Some information from the website:
    "How Ruth’s Chris Got Its Name

Ruth's Chris Steak House" is such a tongue-twister that one restaurant critic suggested it be used as a sobriety test: anyone who could say that name three times certainly couldn't be intoxicated.

The restaurant Ruth Fertel bought in 1965 was named "Chris Steak House," and she acquired the right to use that name as long as the restaurant remained in the original location. But after a fire forced her to move, she needed a new name. Adding her name to the logo seemed the simplest solution and "Ruth's Chris Steak House" was born. It has proven to be effective as people remember the name because it's so unusual. It has also had an additional benefit. . . people stopped calling her Chris."

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Ruth's Chris Steak House: Sizzling Steak and Sizzling Prices

by grandmaR Written Sep 7, 2003

Ruth's Cris with advertisement from website

I didn't feel like going out to eat the first night there. I had seen the Ruth's Cris in Baltimore when I was commuting, so I decided that this would be a good opportunity to try it out.

The food was pretty good, but very expensive and not overwhelming in quantity. My dinner cost $51.19 Canadian ($58.87 including tip).

Favorite Dish: I had fresh asparagus ($7.95), petit filet ($27.95), hot tea, hot rolls and amaretto freeze ($6.30). All prices in Canadian $$. The total in US$$ on my credit card was $40.48.

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Toronto

Comments

Hotels Near Ruth's Chris Steak House
1283 Opinions