Tim Horton's, Toronto

4 out of 5 stars 20 Reviews

• Tea (my friend's), yogurt and my Wheat 'n Honey
    Tea (my friend's), yogurt and my Wheat...
    by ellyse
    by freddie18
    by freddie18
  • Todd64's Profile Photo

Tim Horton's: Not just donuts and great coffee.

by Todd64 Updated Jan 21, 2005

I know, I know. You've read about Tim Horton's whilst searching the Toronto area here on VT probably as many times as you have the CN Tower but I'm tellin' you; it's really, really good! No, you won't find lobster tails,caviar and a Chablis served at perfect temperature here but I do promise that if you're seeking a good, honest, straightforward cup of coffee at a reasonable price and NOT one of those overly expensive milky, extra tall foamy thingies then this is the place to go.

Favorite Dish: The coffee is great and they make a wicked chocolate dipped donut; MUCH better than Krispy Kremes'. They also serve a mean beef stew which comes in an edible bread bowl, but instead of eating it afterwards I prefer to wear it as a beanie in the winter when sitting in the park feeding the Pigeons. Sure, with the gravy it's a little messy, but this way I can keep my hands in my pockets, thusly shielding their delicateness from the frigid Canadian winds.

• Arial_27's Profile Photo

Tim Hortons: A Taste of Canadian Culture

by Arial_27 Updated Feb 12, 2012

Anyone who has been to Canada probably visited a Tim Hortons at least a dozen times. Tim Horton's is Canada's largest chain, surpassing McDonalds in the 1990s. There are about 3000 locations nationwide, a few hundred in Toronto alone. You can also find some locations in US states, as well as the UK and the Middle East.

Tim Hortons has rapidly turned into more than just a fast food place for most people, a Canadian cultural icon. There are TV commercials every year depicting travelling Canadians homesick for "Timmies." There's a story behind it as well: Tim Horton was a Canadian NHL hockey player who had this coffee shop named after him by his family. He died in a car accident quite young, but his mother continues to run the business; since it wasn't doing well at the beginning, she sold it shortly after his death. But after she sold it, the business became VERY big.The coffee shop is so popular here that you can drive 50 miles without finding a Tim Hortons on the way.

Favorite Dish: The bagels, donuts and pastries are all very popular here. I personally love the everything bagel toasted with herb and garlic cream cheese. mmm. They also sell soups, sandwiches and a range of coffees/teas.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Tim Horton's: Toronto residents love their coffee!

by BillNJ Written Mar 12, 2008

Basic coffee and donuts shop -- more similar to Dunkin Donuts (for those in the States) than Starbucks. Didn't try any donuts, but the coffee was good. One warning -- when they are busy, they may just put cream and sugar in your coffee if you don't tell them your preference in advance.

Favorite Dish: Coffee

• shohman's Profile Photo

Tim Horton's: The Canadian Dunkin Donuts

by shohman Written Oct 1, 2005

Tim Horton's

Dunkin Donuts is an institution in Boston, so I had to try the Canadian version, Tim Hortons. The coffee was 'ok' I'm a coffee snob, but it did the trick to get my daily fix. I also had a donought for the first time in years. It was pretty good, but nothing can beat a heavy dunkin donut!

Favorite Dish: coffee

• freddie18's Profile Photo

Tim Hortons: Double-Double in Toronto

by freddie18 Updated Dec 25, 2009

Tim Horton's at King Street, Toronto

Almost everyone in Canada knows Tim Horton's. It is a purely Canadian coffee house and is the favourite of more than half of the population in Toronto.

There is Tim Horton's in almost every corner of the city and you can also find them in subway stations. Most of my friends' favourite is Double-Double. That is 2 sugar, and 2 creamer. Mine is the French Vanilla. It is creamy and tasty.

When you visit Toronto. Do not miss Tim. Try Tim Horton's coffee and just say Double-Double.

Favorite Dish: French Vanilla Coffee and Carrot Muffin.

• ellyse's Profile Photo

Tim Horton's: Well-known Canadian Casual Dining Brand

by ellyse Written Jan 3, 2010

Tea (my friend's), yogurt and my Wheat 'n Honey

The decor is simple and clean -- though the one I went to on my 1st night could've done with a wee bit of table-clearing. It's somewhat of a cross between a bakery, cafe and fast-food joint.
    I'm not much of a coffee drinker, nor someone with a liking for donuts, so I passed on what Tim Horton's is supposedly most famous for. On my 1st night in Toronto I had a berry tasty strawberry yogurt and a bagel with herb & garlic cream cheese. The next morning for breakfast I had a cup of hot (steaming! a little too sweet for my taste though) chocolate and yet another bagel with the same cream cheese. I don't remember which type of bagel I had, but I think it was the Wheat 'n Honey.

Favorite Dish: I miss those bagels and cream cheese! What a pity Tim Horton's isn't here in Shanghai (or in China for that matter) or Singapore.

• Tim Horton's: Canada's Coffee and Donut chain

by JonnyVT Written Dec 4, 2006

Tim Horton's is Canada's coffee shop chain serving rich coffee, tasty donuts, and sandwiches. Who is Tim Horton you ask? Tim Horton was a hockey legend who played most of his career for the Toronto Maple Leafs. The original Tim Horton's Donut Shop was opened in 1964 in Hamilton, Ontario (and apparently is still open).

Favorite Dish: The basic cup of coffee and a plain donut does it for me. I pretty much started my days in the cold Toronto air with a donut and cup of Tim's delicious coffee.

• Bobsy's Profile Photo

Tim Horton's: In the Words of Homer: "Mmm...donuts!"

by Bobsy Written Nov 24, 2003

Homer - Most Famous Greek

I have eaten a dozen donuts in a sitting on two occasions. After cycling around the islands, and while waiting at Newark Airport post 9/11. I have had two sourcream glazed donuts mailed from Canada to the UK because I missed them so much. The first one was a pile of crumbs, but the second was perfectly formed.

Favorite Dish: Get a Chilli Bread Bowl meal. C$5.59 buys you a coffee, donut and delicious chilli in a hollowed out loaf. Chain food shouldn't be this good. Make the donut a cruller. Or if you want it to keep for later or the next day, a sour cream glazed.

• HotRodEtte's Profile Photo

Tim Horton's: You can't go wrong

by HotRodEtte Written Oct 19, 2005

Plain and simple---I love this place! We finally got it here in the US about 7 years ago (if that) but it's nice to know that there is still one on every corner in Canada!!!
    I love their food, they're nice and inexpensive yet healthier than most "fast food" chains and it's quick. Any time I travel, I find myself spending more money on food than anything else. This time we made a food budget and the fact that we can get breakfast OR lunch here, or even just a snack, helped us to stay within that budget.

Favorite Dish: The coffee is to die for--I especially love their french vanilla cappuccino. The sourdough TimBits donut holes are my favorite treat, I love the egg salad sandwich (and Christy fell head over heels for the chicken salad sandwich) and you can't pass up the opportunity to try the new chocolate danish!!!!

• magique_didi's Profile Photo

Tim Horton's: Always time for ...

by magique_didi Written Nov 16, 2005

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tim Horton's!
    Tim Horton's is fantastic for an inexpensive but filling meal, or for their famous cups of coffee. They have all kinds of donuts, cakes, sandwiches, bagels, muffins, soups, etc. and usually have new things coming out during special times of the year.
    One small warning -- they don't take debit!

Favorite Dish: Love the French Vanilla Cappuccino ... also their new hot smoothies are great (especially hazelnut!). For food I usually go for a nice bagel with herb & garlic cream cheese, or any of their soups and sandwiches -- they're all good.

• Study Abroad

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Tim Horton's: Morning Cuppa

by ATXtraveler Written Feb 22, 2007

Although I will write more about the experience later in customs, when it comes to a morning stop off to get you going in Toronto, Tim Horton's is a must. Not only is this iconic Canadian coffee shop delicious, people go out of their way to get here.

I enjoyed the breakfast sandwich, a cup of coffee with cinnamon in it, and a breakfast desert doughnut. The breakfast sandwich was decent, not the best I have had, but better than a Egg McMuffin at the golden arches, and moderately priced. The doughnut was delicious, and next time I would just go with it. I had standard frosted with chocolate icing. As for the coffee, it was a nice cup of joe! The cinnamon added a little kick to it, but it could have stood on its own two feet in my opinion!

Favorite Dish: Definitely the doughnut!

• Business Travel

• Tim Horton's: Tim Horton's

by dzni Written Aug 26, 2002

I don't know WHY we were amused by this place's name, but we were. We saw it as the Canadian equivilent of McDonald's in quantity. However, their specialty is donuts and sandwiches. Weird, I know... I think their owned by Wendy's. Anywho... :)

Favorite Dish: Sandwich

• JennyTheOnly's Profile Photo

I most like Tim Hortons and...

by JennyTheOnly Written Aug 26, 2002

I most like Tim Hortons and Food Cornors!!! :)
    Well the Food Cornors are just perfect if you dont really know what you want to eat...there are many 'restaurants' one one place and mostly you THEN dont know what you want to eat ;)

Favorite Dish: Well I love those choclate donuts and I love to eat Hamburgers in the Food Cornors!

• Tara2001's Profile Photo

Tim Horton's (Its not a...

by Tara2001 Written Aug 25, 2002

Tim Horton's (Its not a restaurant, more like a fast food cafe, but well worth a stop!)
    Nothing special or unusual about the atmosphere or appearance but the prices are fantastic and the food is great!

Favorite Dish: If you like doughnuts then the choice is endless, I would particularly recommend the timbits, 20 for $1.99!!! Bargain!!! There are also many savoury items available from subs to soup. One of the best drinks to have is the iced cappuccino, tastes fabulous on a hot summers day! Check it out!

• travelthrough's Profile Photo

Tim Horton's: SIMPLY THE BEST!!

by travelthrough Written Sep 24, 2006

It's simply the best and not even Starbucks is an equivalent...the smell, the coffee, the bagels, the cream cheese, the donuts....mhm.....I am melting. When it comes to remembering a country by its smell, for Canada Tim Horton's would certainly go!!!

Favorite Dish: Bagels with cream cheese.

• Study Abroad