ki___, Toronto

• lohki's Profile Photo

ki: Swanky Sushi

by lohki Updated Oct 6, 2006

Maple Albacore Tuna

Definitely THE place to be seen after your six figure deal goes through!
    ki has become a hang out to the well dressed suits of Downtown Toronto.

Take care not to drink too many of the scrumptious Asian inspired cocktails.....
    "Those in the know" call the route to the washroom the "cat walk" for a reason! Be prepared for the entire bar to watch you strut!

The service is a little over zealous here you will have a waiter, various waiter assistants, food runners, bus boys and someone bringing you water... Wonderful if you feel like being attended to, often?!

Make sure to either enter OR exit into BCE place to check out the cool glass sculpture at their door.

Favorite Dish: The torched Salmon was wonderful as well as the Maple Albacore Tuna and Black Cod!
    And don't forget the Asian Ginger Cocktails.

I was invited to one of their "dry run" lunches before opening doors to the public so I really have no idea what the menu is actually like. Rest assured whatever you order it will be the best of the best, no skimping on product here.

• rsilva's Profile Photo

ki___: Ki Modern Japanese + Bar

by rsilva Written Nov 23, 2005

When we visited the place, it had been open for just over one month.

This is a very stylish and modern Japanese restaurant located on Bay in the middle of the Financial District. I was told they spent many million dollars in decorating the place, I guess that explains the waiters attitute... read below.

Both my girlfriend and I are fans of Japanese food (I was told the one you get outside Japan is very different from the one they eat there, but still) and while walking around we found this place. From the outside I was uncertain if it was a bar, restaurant or something else. I decided to go in and take a look. In my opinion it is quite impressive to look at, on the other hand it is a bit impersonal. Everything is perfect, no detail left to chance. This is nice at first, but I am not sure if I would become a regular as I prefer warmer, friendlier restaurants. It is a quite popular spot on Thursday and Friday evening, when the business-suit crowd comes for drinks and snacks.

The concept is supposed to be different and original in the sense that there are no starters, mains or desserts. All dishes are small and one will not be enough for a hungry person. You will have to order 2-3 (or more) per person as you feel is adequate. I recommend ordering only 2-3 in the beginning and take it from there.

When we were seated the waitress started explaining how it worked and then went on to say that for two people 8-10 dishes should be fine! Then she said "Well, maybe 6-8 will be enough". In the end we had 5 (2 people) and it was enough. We asked for suggestions and she would ONLY recommend the most expensive things they had. My girlfriend also asked which Sake she would recommend and obviously she indicated the most expensive one (which was 16 CAD, opposed to the 5 and 8 CAD that they also had). I was left with the strong impression that she only wanted us to spend as much money as possible. I did not like that.

Favorite Dish: The Kiwi-Tuna was very nice.

The decor - Check out all the pictures and see for yourself

The food was good, as I mentioned the portions are small, but presentation was great and quality was good as well. They call it "modern Japanese" and it is a bit different from the classic Sushi restaurant.

Instant Answers: Toronto