CN Tower, Toronto

• solopes's Profile Photo

A high restaurant

by solopes Updated Dec 20, 2013

Toronto - Canada

The tower is the highest building in Toronto, and it has all the common attractions in this kind of structures - high speed elevators, rotating restaurant, sightseeing points but also a wine cellar, 3D movies and more. Sorry we had no time to go up!

• HumblyServingChrist's Profile Photo

Once the tallest structure in the world!

by HumblyServingChrist Updated Apr 18, 2013

Taller than Kuala Lumpur's Petronas Towers and Chicago's Sears Tower (but not taller than Dubai's newest superskyscraper), Toronto's CN Tower is certainly a sight to behold! While not technically considered a building, the CN Tower functions as a broadcast tower while also offering observation decks and a restaurant waaaaaaay above the skyscrapers of the Financial District. If you're not afraid of heights then this is certainly a must see destination!

• draguza's Profile Photo

by draguza Updated Oct 5, 2012

The Tower

Until 2007, the CN Tower was the tallest free-standing structure in the world. Located right next to the Rogers Centre, this downtown landmark is one of Toronto's premiere tourist attractions. Take an elevator trip all the way up to the sky pod (in the - the 2nd highest observation deck in the world! On a clear day, you can see the mist across Lake Ontario from the famed Niagara Falls. Watching others navigate their way across the glass floor in this observation space is as much fun as standing on it yourself, and on nice days, when the roof is open on the Rogers Centre - you can catch a glimpse of a teeny, tiny Major League ball game happening hundreds of meters below.

All of that observing may leave you with a hunger gap. If you want to go all out, a dinner at the award-winning 360 restaurant is a must for the full CN Tower experience, paired with a bottle of wine from the world's highest wine cellar. But if you are in the area around brunch time, you can't beat the amazing crepes from Cora's. For a fun, delicious lunch or dinner, head to Planet Hollywood where you can dine and check out film and TV celeb memorabilia at the same time.

• Africancrab's Profile Photo

CN Tower Overrated and Popular

by Africancrab Written Aug 11, 2012
    CN Tower from the Harbour

With my plans to visit Canada, came a list of ‘To Do Things’. On my long “Bucket List” has always been the CN Tower and Banff in Canada. So once I was done with my older sister, Niagara falls and Kitchener, I went off to Etobicoke to see my baby brother (who by the way looks older only because he is 6’4 in height). His wife and I had booked a tour of Toronto on the open top buses. I figured travelling with children this was the best way to go. My brother also has a 3 year old which meant we would have 3 children tagging along. So our first stop was of course going to be the highly recommended CN Towers. One cannot miss it, it towers the Toronto Skyline. I had tried to book a dinner at the restaurant above it before leaving the United States, but they were booked for months I was told.

As you may have read from the many reviews on Virtual Tourist and elsewhere, it comes highly recommend. But I tell you what? I thought it was highly overrated and was frankly disappointed after trying two days in vain to get up to the top of the tower. It did however remind me of the Space Needle in Seattle and the inkling to go up was stronger. One the first day, we arrived at a little after 1:00 pm, the hassle of going down to the ticket counter using the escalator was frustrating. The establishment is not handicap friendly so we had to carry the baby’s stroller down the escalator and up a flight of stairs on the return. Once we got to the ticket counter, we waited in line for almost 25 minutes, only to be told there was a 2 hour wait to get to the top. The children were hungry and hot. Josephine and I decided we would try again the next morning between 9:00 – 11:00 am when we were told were the best times.
    A few people still think it is the tallest building on earth, but that is because they have not been to the Emirates lately (smile!). It is now among the top five tallest free standing structures and a wonder of the world. As such it is a huge attraction to millions who come to visit it each year. It features a rotating restaurant at the top, a high-speed elevator, #D Movie Theater, a wine cellar and three sightseeing stops along the way.

The next day we left home early and headed downtown to get on our tour bus. Unfortunately due to delays by the tour bus, we got to the CN Tower at 12:00 noon, this time I had my daughter go find out how long the wait is, seeing as we had missed the times advised the day before. The wait was an hour and 30 minutes. Well we decided it was not worth the wait, we wanted to go to the Harbour Front and take a boat to the island, and that is what we did. I figured, I will leave it on my ‘to do list’ for next summer when we plan to go to Banff. From the outside, the tower is impressive, makes one feel really small; I figured the view from above would be of the entire Toronto area, next time.

Prices to go up vary based on the package one chooses. We just wanted to go up to the viewing deck to see Toronto’s Skyline.
    Observation Plus - $28.99 per adult, $21.99 for children (4-12), $24.99 seniors 65 and older
    Observation Only - $22.99 per adult, $14.99 children (4-12 yrs), $20.99 seniors 65 and older

Individual tours or a la Carte tours include;
    Sky pod - $10.00 per person
    Motion Theater ride only - $10.00 per person
    Maple Leaf Theater - $10.00 per person

I believe the Citypass gives you a better package because it includes the top 5 must see attractions of Toronto for $58.99
    However if you find yourself wanting to tour it, my brother recommends doing it at night. Apparently the night views are breath-taking.

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

"Now I'm finally up this high, so what?"

by CatherineReichardt Updated May 5, 2012

CN Tower, Toronto

As you will have already discovered if you've found this tip, there are loads of tips on the CN Tower on VT, and everyone else seemed to absolutely love it, so, for what it's worth, here's a dissenting point of view.

I didn't actively dislike the CN Tower, but I was distinctly underwhelmed by it. So, it was once both the world's highest tower and the world's highest free standing structure - now in the Top 5, depending on the criteria you apply - well, maybe I'm missing the point, but so what?

For me, ascending a high structure is only really of interest if it can be used as a vantage point to give you an unusual perspective on the surroundings. So the Arc de Triomphe, for example, although not extraordinarily high, is worth going to the top of because from there, you see Baron Hausmann's Grand Vision for Paris made real and stretching out at your feet. And therein lies the problem with the CN Tower - in my very personal opinion, there simply isn't very much worth seeing from the top. The landscape is pancake flat and not particularly attractive, the ribbon of development along the shores of Lake Ontario is unremarkable, and precisely because the CN Tower is so high, the high rise developments of the CBD (which are actually quite interesting from another perspective, such as the Toronto Islands), lose their definition and individuality because they're so far below you.

To my mind, the most interesting aspect of the view from the CN Tower is the bird's eye perspective on the neighbouring Rogers Centre - formerly the SkyDome and home to the Toronto Blue Jays. This was the first sports stadium to have a fully retractable motorised roof and is a nifty bit of engineering (I personally thought that it was more interesting than the CN Tower).

Others have waxed lyrical about the many thing that you can do in the CN Tower, including dining at the revolving restaurant, ascending up to the Sky Pod, doing the EdgeWalk and standing on the glass floor. I only did the latter, and can't say that it made a major impression on me, other than making me feel midly queasy as I registered that it was an awfully long way down.

However, most people consider that the CN Tower is worth doing, so if so, I suspect that the view is probably at is best at night when the view of the twinkling CBD lights would probably lend an added cachet. It's also possible that during Fall (a north Americanism of which I heartily approve), the palette of autumnal colours would lend another dimension to the landscape, although I stand to be corrected on this point.

And, for fear of stating the obvious, it's not even worth considering this if the cloud is low, because you won't see a thing. As Toronto weather can be quite changeable, I would suggest that if the CN Tower is on your 'must do' itinerary and the weather is fine, then shelve whatever other plans you had and head up the tower whilst the weather is clement.

In summary, going up the CN Tower - even if you forego the optional extras - is resource intensive on several counts, as it is hellish expensive (over C$20 just to access the lookout and glass floor at the time of writing in September 2011) and would probably also involve a wait in peak season, even if you bought your ticket online due to limitations on the number of visitors that are permitted at any given time. So particularly if you're a budget traveller or have limited time in Toronto, I would suggest that your time and money could be much better spent doing something more worthwhile such as a trip to the Bata Shoe Museum, Royal Ontario Museum or a ferry ride to the Toronto Islands.

One unexpected high point for me was the gift shop by the entrance is large and absolutely excellent. It sells a wide range of high quality souvenirs, and you don't have to pay the entrance fee to visit the gift shop.

• kemisteryoso's Profile Photo

Bird's eye view on Downtown Toronto

by kemisteryoso Updated Apr 21, 2012

Well most VTers already wrote a review about this one so I wont tell much about it. I can only say that it's worth visiting whenever you are in Toronto. I am not really into heights but of course I need to try this one.. like everyone did. I felt safe in the observation deck it has bigger space but the skypod is a different story , the smaller space and much higher altitude made my knees weak and tummy churns. I didnt stay more than 10 minutes. Try the glass floor as well, even though I know it's safe but still I cant walk on it haha. I read that during summer you can walk outside with a harness. Geez.

• Arial_27's Profile Photo

CN Tower - Toronto Skyline

by Arial_27 Updated Feb 12, 2012

CN Tower

Let the elevator take you to to the top of (what was once) the tallest free standing structure in the world and you'll have a great view of Toronto and Lake Ontario.

The CN Tower is 1,815.4 ft feet high (553 metres.) There is a glass floor and an outdoor observation deck. You will also have the option of taking the elevator a little higher, to the very top of the tower and get an even better view but you can't go outside.

Admission prices go up every year. As of 2012, it is $23 for adults for basic entry (observation and glass floor only) and an extra $10 for some sort of motion theatre ride. Keep in mind that the Toronto City pass is worth buying if you plan to see a lot of Toronto attractions.

In 2011, the CN tower just introduced a new form of adventure called 'the Sky Walk' where you're securely tied but hanging over the edge of the tower. It looks pretty scary for those afraid of heights.

The Tower is located on Front street, which is in the middle of the entertainment district of Toronto. Union Station is just a 2-minute walk away.

• tim07's Profile Photo

by tim07 Updated Dec 28, 2011

Officially opened in October 1976 and standing at 553 metres (1815 feet) tall, the CN Tower was the place I most wanted to visit while in Toronto. The stunning structure can be seen from all over the city and is just as impressive close up.

• tim07's Profile Photo

A birds eye view of Toronto

by tim07 Updated Dec 28, 2011

Once at the top of the CN Tower there are spectacular views of Toronto and Lake Ontario from either the Look Out Level or the Sky Pod. Visability on a clear day is over 160km (100 miles). It's possible to see both Niagara Falls and Rochester in New York State.

• csordila's Profile Photo

World's second tallest structure

by csordila Updated Oct 7, 2011

CN Tower from street level

If you visit the city, the 553 meters high CN Tower (Canada's National Tower, constructed 1973 – 1976 ) is one of the first things, you notice from a distance already. In the tower you should experience at least three attractions:
    First one is the Skypod observation deck at 447 meters. In case of clear weather from here you can see all the way to Niagara Falls.
    Second one is the favourite of many visitors, the Glass Floor, also mine. Through it, you can see all the way down to street level, it is really amazing. You do not need to afraid from a breaking of the glass, it stands more than 2 tons.
    Third one is the Lookout at 346 meters, the first stop of the glass-walled elevators. This level above the Glass Floor contains the IMAX theater, two flight simulators, a nightclub, and the revolving restaurant.

Entrance fee for Total Tower Experience including Look Out+Glass Floor+Movie+Flight Simulator: C$ 30.00

Notice:Since 2009 Burj Dubai is world's tallest structure with its height of about 2,260 ft

• spidermiss's Profile Photo

by spidermiss Updated Apr 16, 2011

View from CN Tower, Toronto, Canada

I've visited CN Tower three times now (once in 2000 and twice in 2006). It is known as "Canada's National Tower" and "a Wonder of the Modern World and the World's Tallest Building" (from the CN Tower Guest Guide). I enjoyed going up the tower where I enjoyed the city views down below from the Glass Floor (342 m); Look Out (346 m); and the Sky Pod (446 m). As well as the observation desks, there is a revolving restaurant and a marketplace.

I used my CityPass to visit the attraction but you can check out the website for more information and prices.

The CN Tower was celebrating their 30th Anniversary when it I was there in 2006. The CN Tower first opened to the public in 1976.

• Museum Visits

• Brand New Lighting System

by torontoguy416 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Just got back from Toronto where my family lives. I had no idea they were changing the CN Tower, as I am pretty attached to it- I grew up in Toronto as a kid. But after being in town for a visit, my brother surprised me by taking me Downtown to see the tower at night. Amazing! The new LED system is truly amazing. I think it really looks great and makes the skyline shine! Good one for Toronto. If you're in Toronto or in the GTA, be sure to stop by the CN Tower.

My tip: Go right before Sunset (when they light the tower.) They have a little light show at the top of every hour while it's lit. I've included a website that has pictures of the tower lit up as well. It's great, but you really have to see it in person. It's surreal at first!

Have an amazing time in Toronto!

• Todd64's Profile Photo

Taller Than A Breadbox, That's For Sure!

by Todd64 Updated Apr 4, 2011

CN Tower

I don't care what anybody says, but if you're planning on visiting this city, you must make time to go up the CN Tower at least once. I agree,...looking like a giant cement swizzle-stick it may not be the prettiest chunk of architecture in the city, and sure it's a little pricey (about $25 for the complete ride up) and yes, the food's really not all that great in the revolving restaurant, but think of the view! We're talking about the tallest freestanding structure in the world here! Besides, I've heard that if you drool from the observation deck, that magic spittle will apparantly become the equivalent of a 20lb cannonball,...think about that when you spy that little red Miata way down there below you. :o)

I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's the tallest freestanding structure in the world, so give it a peek, ja?

• mariahc1's Profile Photo

wonderful views of Toronto

by mariahc1 Written Mar 20, 2011

Visiting the CN Tower is a great way to admire the view of Toronto. I am afraid of heights but it was a wonderful opportunity for me to face my fear! Really, I loved the glass elevators! It was great coming up from the ground to gradually see the whole city of Toronto.
    I don't remember how much it was to get in but I do remember that we waited for 3 hours to go up which was very, very tiring and frustrating. I am not that patient but I had to be that day. That is why I book all my tickets online now.
    If you are planning to visit the CN Tower, visit their website and check for online tickets and book them in advance. It is really tiring to wait for so long. Then again, it was August when we went so that's why it was so crowded.
    All in all, it is a wonderful experience and a "must-see".

• tvor's Profile Photo

Another CN tower review

by tvor Written Nov 8, 2010
    CN tower at night

Yes, yet another review and tip on the CN Tower! But really, though it's not cheap, it's really worth going up for the spectacular views. You could pay the top whack for the total experience and see the movie and go to the skypod but we were more than happy with the basic trip up the elevator on the outside of the tower structure and having a look. You arrive on the observation floor where you can see a nearly 360 degree view. The tower doesn't look overly high from the ground but when you're up there, you certainly realize you're very high up! Will you go up another 100 feet or so to the skypod? You could pay the extra 5 or 6 dollars but when you are up so high, you probably aren't going to notice a great difference.

The glass floor is down one level where you can also find the outdoor observation deck. That's all caged in so photos won't be any good and it's windy and cold most of the time. The glass floor is a bit creepy, as your body thinks the glass won't hold you even though you know it will. It's a strange feeling!

The CN Tower is pretty much fully accessible for mobility issues. There are two restaurants, 360 which is a revolving one and quite expensive and Horizons, also not cheap but you will not mind the prices if you're just having a coffee and cake break like we did. Good views from here as well, obviously. If you have reservations at 360, you can go up the tower for free. You'll pay for it with the cost of the meal!

The cost is included with a TorontoPass card (5 major attractions for 59$, good for 9 days) and also is included with the GoToronto card, which is twice as expensive, good for 2 days and covers quite a few more attractions. I don't really find these types of cards very useful unless you're the type of person that crams in 3 or 4 different attractions or more in each day.

Get to the tower either up a staircase off Front Street or, much easier, the back way off Bremner Blvd.

Instant Answers: Toronto

Comments

Hotels Near CN Tower
4.0 out of 5 stars