Niagara Falls, Toronto

by pugwashman
    Niagara Falls 4
    by Africancrab
  • pugwashman's Profile Photo

Spectacular, unless you've been to Iguacu !

by pugwashman Updated Oct 20, 2013
    Falls from Helicopter

We went to Niagara on a daytrip from Toronto. You can no doubt do organised tips, but we decide to hire a car and do it ourselves. We also went for a Helicopter Trip over the Falls which was definitely worthwhile. I was surprised how nice it was walking around by the falls, and you can dot he Maid-in-the-Mist boat trip if you have the time and don't mind getting soaked. Mind you, you will have to try very hard not to get soaked even if you stay up the top, as the spray is pretty fierce.
    The main town is a bit tacky, but you need to spend any time there.
    Also worth visiting Niagara-on-the-Lake which is a lovely little village on the way.
    note: I have to say that since we've been here we've been to Iguaca Falls ain South America and I'm afraid they beat the socks off Niagara in my opinion ... sorry Niagara, but these Falls are still nice.

• Africancrab's Profile Photo

The Force of Nature

by Africancrab Written Aug 11, 2012
    Niagara Falls 1

An outstanding force of nature, the falls is. The giant wall of water falling, the deafening sound of the water, and white mist rising creating a white blanket of rain. The sheer force of the water is mind boggling. I took my babies for an adventure and we sure had an adventure. Take a look at my review of 'Maid of the Mist'.

Through the years, I have read reviews about the Canadian side of Niagara falls being a tourist trap and that it is all built up, but that was not what I saw, I was actually surprised at how big the falls is and in fact untouched. The recreational part of Niagara is far from where the falls is. The development does not take away from the falls at all.

You can avoid the area with all the museums, bars and restaurants by going directly to the falls. Naturally the Canadian gov't will want to make money from tourists by taking advantage of the falls. If you feel trapped, it means you wanted to get trapped. Like any other country that relies on tourism, Canada is only taking advantage of you if you let them. I only spent $30 for my daughter and I, for Maid of the Mist, and another $9.50 for ice cream for myself, my sister, her son, and my daughter. I wasn't taken by anything but the falls. My daughter wanted to go on the giant Sky wheel, but she did not win me over. So be a cautious traveler and you will enjoy this area of Canada. And if you are not a winter traveler, do not go there in the winter you will not have fun, I know I did that many years back on the US side and hated it. I hear it is something to see in the night.

• kris-t's Profile Photo

by kris-t Updated Jan 9, 2011

Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls is a set of massive waterfalls located on the Niagara River in eastern North America, on the border between the United States and Canada. Niagara Falls (French: chutes Niagara) comprises three separate waterfalls: the Horseshoe Falls (sometimes called the Canadian Falls), the American Falls, and the smaller, adjacent Bridal Veil Falls.
    While not exceptionally high, Niagara Falls is very wide. With more than 168,000 cubic metres (6 million cubic feet) of water falling over the crestline every minute it is the most powerful waterfall in North America and possibly the best-known in the world.

For more visit our Niagara Falls page.

• Eco-Tourism

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

Niagara Falls Daytrip: NiagaraTours.ca

by Kaspian Updated Jan 6, 2010

Niagara Falls (2006)

A half-hour late from our departure time, a stout man in a red tie appears. "Are you Mr. Edward? Come please with me. I am not kidnapping you." My companion and I hesitantly get into a limousine and are dropped off at an undisclosed location. I think it's a hotel lobby.
    A white van is parked outside with "King's Tours" written on the side. It's entirely full of people.
    A couple from Manchester is also waiting. He paces nervously. "Well, this is all a bit shady innit?" he says, "I'm ready to rent a car, I am!"
    After an eternity, a tall, dark man appears and takes us to a black SUV parked behind the van. The Britons are suspicious, "Wot? In that!?" I'm secretly having the time of my life.
    We all get in. My girl's put in the back seat with the British couple and I'm riding shotgun.
    The tall man explains that the tour was overbooked and they needed to get this vehicle for us and we'll be following the van. He's from Sri Lanka; he's clean cut, articulate, and knowledgeable.
    We stop at a winery. I'd envisioned an old man showing us oak casks and grapes on vines. Instead, we're in a fancy shop where we're given wine samples while a pimply teenager explains how to taste them. He lists brands and prices ad-nauseum. We pay $4 extra to sample the ice wine. Bored, I sneak around back to take photos of the vineyard.
    The SUV whisks us off to "Niagara on the Lake," a storybook town of old buildings and gorgeous flowers.
    The next stop is the "Floral Clock", which is just a giant metal clock stuck into a flowerbed. I'm the only person who bothers to get out and take a photo.
    We finally reach Niagara Falls. This tour includes the "Maid of the Mist" boat tour in the ticket price. The boat ride is fantastic! Sitting at the base of Horseshoe Falls, the water forms a giant white curtain around us and the craft feels very small.
    We have three free hours to walk closer to the falls or around town. We ate lunch, met our driver and the Mancunians, and headed back. I realize that I like having our own private driver; I'm glad I'm not in that crowded van.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Seniors

• ellyse's Profile Photo

Falling Over a Horseshoe

by ellyse Updated Jan 5, 2010

Canada's Horseshoe Falls with Maid of the Mist

On the Niagara River, straddling the Canada-US border, Niagara Falls is probably the most notable natural attraction near Toronto. The falls are generally divided into two: the narrower and shorter American Falls and the much wider and taller Horseshoe (or Canadian) Falls.
    One of the favourite ways to experience Niagara Falls would be to take the Maid of the Mist. This enables visitors to get closer to the falls, and enjoy getting sprayed. On the day that I went it was raining, so we actually got pretty soaked! I also read about helicopter rides which would offer a bird's-eye view, but didn't get to do it this time round, which's a pity.
    The city of Niagara Falls is a popular resort area with something to delight every member of the family. I only wish I had more time to explore the various attractions here such as Ripley's Believe It Or Not. Believe it or not, in 1.5 months I've gone to 2 places which have Ripley's (the other being Genting in August) and I've yet to go inside any!
    Souvenir stores galore everywhere here. There's a pretty extensive one where you get off the Maid of the Mist. Prices seem to be about the same everywhere, so you might as well buy here if you find something you like. They seem to have thought of everything possible, from the usual postcards (very pretty!), fridge magnets, T-shirts (somehow I found these tacky), mugs, photo frames, notebooks, coffee table photo books, to the more unusual (or unique) bottles of Niagara Falls water! Couldn't resist buying a bottle of that, a notebook, plus some postcards and fridge magnets to give away to friends back home.
    Further out, somewhere between Niagara Falls city and Niagara-on-the-Lake, is the Niagara Whirlpool where you could take an aero car above the roaring Niagara River. Yet another experience that's on my to-do list should I come back to this part of the world.

• listenandlearn's Profile Photo

Spectacular Views of "Niagra Falls "

by listenandlearn Written Aug 17, 2009

Spectacular Time we all had on the boat!

Here are few great happy experiences we had during our short weekend trip to Toronto.
    As we arrived in Toronto, Ontario right by the Niagara Falls, the sight of the flashing of water at the Niagara falls was just spectacular! We joined the water tour falls and it certainly was all worth the enjoyment. We enjoyed the maid of the mist boat ride, it was an excitement drive through the lake and there we had few wine tasting.
    Will down load photos and write more of our trip!

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

PLAY MINI GOLF near the FALLS

by AusPinay Updated Jun 19, 2008

playing golf near the falls among the

After absorbing the natural beauty and enjoying watching the cascading water at the Falls, my boys of course needed to let off steama bit more! So the next day we let them play a round of mini-golf at the Great Wolf Lodge Resort's 18 hole mini-golf.

It didn't take very long for the boys to get the hang of golf but the added attraction was the dinosaur
    statues around the park. The weather was absolutely wonderful- very sunny and not a trace of the cold weather the day before. It was surprisingly warm that time of the year we were told by local Canadians we had a chat to- the ones from the souvenir shops lining the busy Victoria Road, the main road near the Falls. Thus, it was perfect for a game of mini golf for the boys!

• Golf

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

MAJESTIC NIAGARA, FALLS WITH THE MOST

by AusPinay Written Jun 19, 2008

the superb wonder of nature

No trip to Toronto will ever be complete without visiting the superb and majestic Niagara Falls. We looked at both sides of the falls and were inclined to agree that the Toronto side was really more beautiful! After all we came from nearby Buffalo airport after flying from Chicago. We took a cab that brought us to our hotel near the falls.

We were absolutely impressed with the views- the falls and the surrounding abundant natural beauty! There are lots of viewing areas where you can actually feel the cold water on your face especially on a windy day. We arrived in late afternoon there so it was naturally colder despite the sunny weather earlier in the day.

The falls at Toronto has a nice restaurant adjacent to it so we naturally had our meal there. There's also a souvenir shop and other attractions related to the falls. In summer, there are more activities on offer too. Around Niagara, there's a casino, heaps of other amusements, resorts, countless hotels,restaurants, cafes, etc, etc. After all, Niagara Falls are a very popular venue for weddings as well!

• stanlelj's Profile Photo

Niagara Falls with friends, May 2007

by stanlelj Updated May 18, 2008

A group of friends and I made a day out of a visit to Niagara Falls. It was a first for them, and a rare visit for me. All of us had a good time though, and decided that May is a good time to go there.

• Study Abroad

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Niagara Falls!

by machomikemd Written Aug 4, 2007

Maid of the Mist facing Canada Side

Straddling the Canadian-United States International Border and both in the Province of Ontario
    and the State of New York, Niagara Falls attracts some 12 Million tourists to her majestic awesome beauty each year. Niagara Falls is a set of massive waterfalls located on the Niagara River, straddling the international border separating the Canadian province of Ontario and the U.S. state of New York. The falls are located 17 miles (27 km) north-northwest of Buffalo, New York, 75 miles (120 km) south-southeast of Toronto, Ontario, between the twin cities of Niagara Falls, Ontario, and Niagara Falls, New York.

Niagara Falls is a massive cataract located on the Niagara River in Western New York and South Eastern Ontario. It consists of two waterfalls, which are separated by Goat Island. The larger cataract is the Horseshoe Falls, which is located in Canada. The Horseshoe Falls is 2600 feet wide and 173 feet high. The American Falls, which is located in the state of New York, is 1060 feet wide and 182 feet high. The Horseshoe Falls carries 9 times more water than the American Falls, approximately 194940 cubic feet of water flows over the brink each second. The Falls were given its name by the area’s first know inhabitants, the Neutral Indians. They called it “Niagara,” which means “thundering waters.” The Neutrals were the first know inhabitants in the Niagara region.

Niagara Falls is comprised of two major sections separated by Goat Island: Horseshoe Falls, mostly on the Canadian side of the border and American Falls on the United States side. The smaller Bridal Veil Falls also is located on the American side, separated from the main falls by Luna Island. Niagara Falls were formed when glaciers receded at the end of the Wisconsin glaciation (the last ice age), and water from the newly-formed Great Lakes carved a path through the Niagara Escarpment en route to the Atlantic Ocean. It is the most powerful waterfall in North America.

• Water Sports
    • Archeology

• daelight's Profile Photo

Noisey Water

by daelight Written Jul 4, 2006

Pretty Side

As part of the Magic Bus Tour I was on that day we visited Niagra Falls. It is very impressive and b i g (of course) I was suprised how close you can be to it. The town of Niagra is an appauling mess of Capitialist mush but just keep your back to it and you'd never know it was there :)

A group of us decided to be adventurous and walk over towards the Yanky bridge but it looked bit dodgy so we kept on going.. and going ... we passed some Motels that looked abandoned, a huge imitation Chinese Temple Hotel thing(!) a really big souviner shop.. until we decided we had better get back to the bus. On the bus we went all the way to where we had walked anyway!

• Theme Park Trips

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Daytrip to Niagara Falls

by HORSCHECK Updated May 31, 2006

American Falls at Niagara Falls

The most touristy site in Ontario, but definitely a must-see.
    The Niagara Falls are divided into the Canadian Falls (Horseshoe Falls) and the American Falls (see photo).
    Take a walk along the paths to see the falls from various locations. It is excellent. Explore the massive erosion caused by the falls in the last 12.000 years by walking downstream from its present location.

• Trains

• arv1's Profile Photo

by arv1 Written Feb 26, 2006

Niagara Falls

INTERESTING FACT: Did you know that, due to erosion, the majestic Niagara Falls is 'falling' from a noticeably further position in comparison to last year??? I didn't believe it until I witnessed it after a 5 year period!!

The Niagara falls (also known as Horseshoe Falls) are world famous for being the widest falls in the world and they sure are amazing!! Even before you are remotely near them, you can hear the gentle crashing off the water..sure when you get closer to them its sounds like rolling thunder...but its an amazing sight!!

There are three experiences one can get involved in.
    1. Riverboat ride on the river going as close as possible to the Falls
    2. Journey behind the Falls
    3. Stand on a platform near the Falls

I have done the first two and I have to say, hand on my heart, that the first one is soooo amazing that it would actually be pointless to do the other two!! YOu can get such an adrenaline rush being on the boat because it goes ridiculously close to the waterfall, you get wet and at times you can't keep your eyes open because of fear...that only happens if you stand at the front though...it is suitable for children,...provided they are in a safe place!!

SO amazing!!

• Tricky_Dicky69's Profile Photo

Lots of water going over a cliff.

by Tricky_Dicky69 Updated Feb 5, 2006

The Canadian Falls

I had always wanted to visit Niagara and wasn't disappointed. We took a guided bus tour from Toronto and enjoyed the scenery on the way. The tour also stopped at Niagara on the Lake which is a beautiful little village and worth a visit on it's own.

Our tour guide was a real fountain of knowlenge and gave us so much information that we wouldn't have found out otherwise. He had been in the job for a long time as he seemed to know everyone and got us straight down to the tunels without waiting in the queue.

Unfortunately we were too early in the year for Maid of the Mist but this was made up for by a visit to the tunnels behind the falls which was amazing. The noise you hear when the lift doors open is incredible.

• HotRodEtte's Profile Photo

Amazing work of nature

by HotRodEtte Written Oct 17, 2005

Christy & I in front of Falls

This was my first time since childhood seeing Niagara Falls. Unfortunately the weather could have cooperated a little better, but for the most part we had a pleasant visit. Great photo ops, tons of different cultures of people and the amazing "downtown" area known as Clifton Hill made for a nice little road trip. We checked out the Hershey store (tons of chocolate!!!) and some of the other restaurant/shops along the way. We definitely would like to go back in the spring and check out more of the shops, museums and [not all of us] haunted houses.

Instant Answers: Toronto

Comments

Hotels Near Niagara Falls
3.5 out of 5 stars