St. Lawrence Market, Toronto

by kemisteryoso
  • St. Lawrence Market
    by kemisteryoso
  • A view of the portion of the North Building
    A view of the portion of the North...
    by Faiza-Ifrah
  • freddie18's Profile Photo

The Original Market in Toronto

by freddie18 Updated Jan 25, 2009

Come visit St. Lawrence Market and be a part of the history of the Neighbourhood. It is very accessible to public transport in Toronto that made it easy to locate. The market caters for all consumable food items. There is a big space to have your lunch or dinner with wide array of menu selection. You can sit down and have Greek souvlaki, Korean food, Chinese and Arabic to name a few. You will definitely enjoy the place to eat and have food "to go" at reasonable prices. Fresh fruits and vegetables are always available for you. There is a lot more that you can find in this major market. I invite you to check information at www.stlawrencemarket.com

Market Hours:
    Tuesday, Wednesdays, Thursdays 8pm to 6pm
    Friday 8am to 7pm
    Saturday 5am to 5pm

Farmers' Market:
    Saturdays from 5am to 2pm

Sunday Antique Market:
    Sundays 8am to 5pm

So, come on and enjoy your meal at the St. Lawrence Market in Toronto!

St. Lawrence Market - Side View St. Lawrence Market - Front View St. Lawrence Market - Side View
    • Architecture

• NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo

St. Lawrence Market- Worth the Visit!

by NC_Ziggy Updated Dec 7, 2005

When Ryan (VT Member RSRaz) suggested a group of us visiting VT'ers might enjoy a trip to the St. Lawrence Market, boy was he right! Not only is the St. Lawrence Market near and in the midst of many other interesting destinations, but what an eye-opening experience for me, and I didn't get to see all!

In the short time we had here (45 minutes) my head was pulled in so many directions and my camera could not keep up with my eyes, but I tried my best to give you some flavor of the place and hopefully a greater incentive to make this a destination when in Toronto. You don't have to buy anything (I didn't), you can simply enjoy the diversity, color, and pagentry of a well-done market that works in many ways.

In this group of pictures you will see the exterior of this bustling market and that's not bad either! There is also a downstairs level to the main building and an annex across the street. I did not have time to visit the lower level, but I hope if you come here, you will and take pictures so that I can see what I missed! I won't miss it the next time, I promise!

I do have pictures of both the inside and outside of the annex across the street, so come along with me and enjoy the sights, smells, sounds, and sensations of the St. Lawrence Market!

How's This for a Great Presentation? A Grand Place with Wonderment Inside! I am a Picture Taking Fool... Well, at least a... It's a Pretty Big Place! Excuse Me, Can I Place an Order to Go?
    • Architecture

• Dabs's Profile Photo

St. Lawrence Market

by Dabs Written Oct 10, 2005

The highlight of the walking tour for me was a visit to the St. Lawrence market, an indoor food heaven with shops selling cheese, meats, baked goods and many other food items. If I had been on my own, I would have stayed here much longer and sampled some of the delicious prepared foods on the lower level and probably would have given into the urge to buy some of that horseradish mustard they were selling.

If you are there Thursday-Saturday, there is also a Farmer's Market across the street

Is it legal to bring this back to the US??? Inside the St. Lawrence market Exterior of the St. Lawrence Market

• tpal's Profile Photo

Small Town Marketplace in a Metropolis

by tpal Updated Jul 15, 2005

Toronto is a wonderfully walkable city although, because it is such a large city, you will likely find it more reasonable to drive or take public transportation to one of the many interesting neighborhoods and then start your walk. Even though our hotel was located right downtown it was possible for us to walk to one of Toronto's oldest neighborhood attractions, the St. Lawrence Market.

Located on Front Street East at the corner of Jarvis Street, the St. Lawrence market is located in the 19th century home of the Toronto's City Hall. The market actually has four components: the South Market with permanent stands for vendors selling meats, seafood, fresh vegetables, baked goods and much more; the North Market which houses the Saturday farmers market; the Market Gallery above the South Market housing the Toronto Archives and; the St. Lawrence Hall housing retail businesses and offices.

We spent our time in the South Market amongst the smells and stunning displays of food and all sorts of goodies. The vendors were not the least bit put of by our request to buy tiny sample sized portions of all manner of good stuff.

Inside the South Market

• coolpanda87's Profile Photo

St. Lawrence Market

by coolpanda87 Updated Mar 5, 2004

St. Lawrence Market is Toronto's most popular & celebrated public market. From 1796, a proclamation was issued and this particular area was designated as "Market Block." The current Market is actually an expansion and complete makeover of a former Toronto City Hall. Now it accomodates many farmers and retailers who are more than willing to sale their produce. From fresh fruits, seafood, vegetables to meat, this market has almost any every produce you could buy in a supermarket.

There are currently three buildings that form today's St. Lawrence Market. They are:

South Market - The main and lower levels contain over 50 specialty vendors, known for the variety and freshness of their fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, grains, baked goods and dairy products, as well as for the unique non-food items on sale. On the second floor is Market Gallery, the official exhibition space for the City of Toronto Archives. Though few have survived, there still many interesting artifacts there, including the Mayor's chair.

Hours:
    Tuesday to Thursday 8 a.m. -- 6 p.m.
    Friday 8 a.m. -- 7 p.m.
    Saturday 5 a.m. -- 5 p.m.

North Market's most popular component is the Saturday Farmer's Market, for farmers in Southern Ontario bring their seasonal produce here to sale. Experienced shoppers get to the North Market at 5 a.m. to buy the freshest food in town! On Sunday, this space accomodates over 80 antique dealers that sale anything from old rakes to vintage hockey cards.

North Market Hours:
    Monday -- Saturday 7 a.m. -- 6 p.m.

St. Lawrence Hall (circa. 1850), houses retail businesses on the ground floor and City offices on the second floor.

St. Lawrence Market; Credits to Mark Sykes

• NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo

Have You Had Your Vegetables Today?

by NC_Ziggy Updated Dec 7, 2005

If the visual stimulation of the many fresh vegetables & fruits displayed and available here can't convince you to embrace a healthy lifestyle, then I'm worried about you! I must admit that though I'm a "country boy" there were a few selections here that I was not familiar with, but would certainly be willing to try!

This selection of pictures were all taken in the Annex of the Market across the street from the previous ones, with the exception of the fruit pic taken inside the main building. There are exterior pictures of the Annex later, but for now just stroll with me and make your selections for the dinner we will prepare together... Ummm!

Gimme Some Vegetables! Get Your Peppers Here!  (They didn't say that!) Eggplant, Anyone? I'll have one of those & one of those & one of tho And on Today's Menu... Fruit!

• NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo

Next Isle- Meats & Cheeses!

by NC_Ziggy Updated Dec 7, 2005

Now that we have chosen our vegetables, we need something to build them around. I can't imagine that whatever your taste and desire for a main course that it is not readily available here! While you're at it, why not pick up some ham, brats, and more that we can use for our "carry out" lunches next week? And, the cheese looks good too!

Do I look fat in these jeans, Dear? They've become quite restrictive of late. Have you washed them in really hot water? I could swear they've gotten smaller!

Now a Little Something for the Hearty Appetite! What Do You Feel Like Tonight? Oh, and We Must Have Cheese & Wine Appetizers & Tasteful Compliments These Tips are making Me Hungry!

Go Fish!

by NC_Ziggy Updated Dec 7, 2005

I have to confess that fish have never been a staple part of my diet simply because my family either didn't regularly have access to them or it just wasn't a part of our particular tastes. But, I understand that fish are very good for you unless they happened to be swimming in lakes of mercury or other contaminants...

But, if fish is your thing, you don't have to wet a line and fetch a pole, they are waiting for you here! Enjoy!

If It Swims, We Have It! I Want That One!  No!  That's Mine! Can I Come Home With You?

Sights & Scenes Outside the Market... Hmmm

by NC_Ziggy Updated Dec 7, 2005

As we end our tour of the St. Lawrence Market, I share with you a few of the scenes taken just outside of the entrance. You will first see the mural that is painted on the wall of the Annex that truly depicts the contents inside. Then, a pair of enterprising and very good muscians who entertained with pretty good sense of marketing from the male perspective. Next, there is marketing that is of lesser taste in my opinion. In a world where names to buildings are for sale, billboards and advertising on buses and taxis cover the sides, and every form of entertainment we pay to see comes with an additional price... we must suffer some promotion or advertisement. And so, here are two people walking around with flat screens strapped to their backs proclaiming the virtue of some new movie. Now don't get me wrong, but I enjoy a good movie as well as you, but I would likely NOT go see the one advertised simply because I view it as an intrusion and definitely not what I wanted or needed to see while being a casual tourist. Call me old! Call me un-hip! Call me whatever, but let me call or choose to find information about the movie or attraction I choose to see! Don't put it in my face and expect me to like it. Ok, I feel better now! Ahhh!

The last pictures are of a greater view of the Annex with those fortunate enough to live so close. I would think this may be a "high rent" district but compliment them for their location. Then, I simply included a picture of a fountain in a small park near the Market because I liked it. I hope you do too!

The Mural on the Annex Musical Marketing at its Best! And Perhaps at its Worse... Enough Already! Cool Places to Live Near the Market A Small Park Near St. Lawrence Market

• Imaniac's Profile Photo

St Lawrence Market

by Imaniac Written May 17, 2004

One of the biggest markets in Toronto is St Lawrence's. It's not only big, it's also indoors. The market is opened every day except for mondays and sundays. On saturday the market opens as early as 5am.

You can find loads of goodies inside such as vegetables, bread, fish and meat. But also souvenir type things and things to use in your home. And right across the main building there's another market called the farmer's market. This one only has fresh veggies, meats and bread.

The building itself was established in the late 19th century, and was used as the city hall. It wasn't until the beginning of the 20th century, that St Lawrence turned into a market.

Flowers for M'Lady...

by NC_Ziggy Updated Dec 7, 2005

As we continue our shopping for a very special evening, a fragrant and beautiful flower arrangement is needed, da? Many colors to choose from, many choices to create a memorable night. Treated well, these colors will last long beyond The Moment...These colors will paint an everlasting portrait

Ah, the Sweet Fragrance! A Bouquet for You!

• Wendy67's Profile Photo

...

by Wendy67 Written Oct 10, 2006

In researching which markets to visit in Toronto, I found that most people prefered the St. Lawrence Market. On Sunday we found the usual antique market. Personally, we thought it was a bunch of junk, but junk to us is probably someone else's treasure. You'll have to decide.

Apparently Saturday is food market of some sort. See www.toronto.com for more details on what the market offers during the week.

If you can, use public transportation. While there is abundant parking, getting around is difficult in a car.

• mim95's Profile Photo

St. Lawrence Market - Fresh fruits and vegetables

by mim95 Written Sep 28, 2003

Established in 1803, St. Lawrence Market has been the place where you find the greatest selections of meat, seafood, veggies, and freshly-baked bread. You'll find a lot of interesting things here that you can't find in the supermarkets, like elk meat, yogert made with goat milk, hand-pick wild mushroom, super-sized colossal tiger shrimp.

The Market is the busiest on Saturday mornings, when the North Market opens. The North Market is in a separate building on the north side of Front Street. Go early if you want to see the action and try the freshest baked items.

Inside St. Lawrence Market

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Shopping! Foods... Antiques... Just Looking

by CdnJane Written Sep 25, 2005

The St. Lawrence Market is located in one of the oldest sections of Toronto. At one point the first police station and city hall of York was here. Now, it is a great place where the locals love to get fresh food, and the tourists are amazed to discover.
    There are 2 buildings - the North building which on Saturday morning is a farmer's market with tables and rows of fresh produce, cheeses, meats, and flowers, and other wonderful things. Sunday there is antiques/books. The South building is where the permanent stalls are, with more produce, near the doors, and butchers, bakers, cheesemakers, and even, I think downstairs candlestick makers! Get a back bacon on a bun there, or some other goodie.
    I did discover on touring with the VT Meeting group, that one of the producers of maple syrup at the farmer's market was selling it for far less than anyplace in the South building. The lesson learned was to look before you buy, or perhaps find a regular SLM shopper who can direct you to the "best of" stalls.

St. Lawrence Market Looking down the street at the North Market buildi PALS' butterfly inside the South Building RSRaz & Ellielou in front of North Building of S.L Dabs,RSRaz,Ellielou,Kaspian, NC_Ziggy by S.L.M

• kymbanm's Profile Photo

No fleas to be found at this flea market :)

by kymbanm Updated Oct 9, 2005

St Lawrence Flea Market was just down the block from our final VT meal .... so a few of us wandered down there to see what there was to see. It turns out this is a vibrant, lively flea market with a combination of vendors ... antique sellers, middle eastern accessories, nepalese silver jewelry, to garage sale items .... this place has it all. There are murals, kiosks outdoors and tables inside ....... lots of 'stuff' to look at :)

Another plus is bargaining! I sometimes forget about this little tool of the trade ... but Stephanie - the mom of VT - wandered by as I was playing w/ a particular item, but not thrilled with the price ... as she wandered past she yelled out a lower price, the seller accepted it, and I had a new bauble to take home! Gotta love VTers on a roll!

We're here! Another mural ..... Looking toward the FlatIron Building
    • Business Travel

Instant Answers: Toronto

Comments

Hotels Near St. Lawrence Market
3.5 out of 5 stars