Toronto Transportation

Most Recent Transportation in Toronto

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

ParkBus

by GrumpyDiver Written Apr 23, 2013

Visiting the Provincial and National Parks in Ontario has pretty well always required a car, as there really has been no public transport for people wishing to get to these places.

There is a service out of Toronto, called Park Bus that will pick you and your camping gear up and take you to your campsite at the Bruce Penninsula. Killarney / French River / Grudy Lake and Algonquin Parks.

You do have to make your own reservations at the parks and bring your own gear and supplies.

• National/State Park

• Robin020's Profile Photo

Megabus Travel cheap

by Robin020 Updated Mar 18, 2013

if you wanna travel cheap from Toronto to Montreal,Buffalo,Niagara falls or some other cities.

I advice you to book in advance megabus is pretty cheap it has WI-fi as well.
    trip from Toronto Niagra falls is 2$ return
    It also goes to NYC and Washington DC.

www.megabus.ca

JumpOn JumpOff Tour Bus in Toronto

by freddie18 Updated Mar 16, 2013

JumpOn JumpOff Sightseeing Tour Bus in Toronto

Tourists in other countries like Paris, France and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia with the HopOn HopOff Tour Bus will be surprised when they visit Toronto, Canada. Yes, our city has it's own JumpOn JumpOff Tour Bus. You really don't have to 'jump'...all you do is GetOn and GetOff the tour bus when you want to see any of the 30 tourist attractions in the city.

You will be treated to an open top antique double decker bus that stops at the best attractions, sites, shopping, dining, and events that Toronto has to offer. You will have a full historical narration from our knowledgeable tour guide.

Prices, taxes already included, are as follows for your reference.
    NOTE: Prices are good at the time of writing this tip. Check the link below to confirm current ticket price.

Adult Cdn$33.00
    Senior(65+)/Student Cdn$30.00
    Child Cdn$20.00
    Family (2 Adult & 2 Child) Cdn$95.00

Just to give you an idea, the duration of tour without getting off the bus is two hours and your unused tour tickets are valid "Everyday of Your Stay".

Come visit us, we'll show you around and see the "True Toronto"

• Seniors

Subway Train

by kemisteryoso Written Jan 19, 2013
    The Yellow line

At first I used taxi, the second time the airport express then I learned about the train and from that time on I always use it every time I visit Toronto. It so easy. Coming from the airport there's a bus that will take you to Kipling station for only 3 dollars and you wont pay extra by taking the train going to downtown Toronto. The travel is around 30 minutes. The Green line(Bloor-Danforth) runs from east to West, Yellow line(Yonge-University-Spadina) take you from south to North. This two lines will be connected at Bloor-Yonge, St. George and Spadina Stations. The Sheppard line is purple. I used this line when I went to downtown for the very first time. I was staying at Days Hotel Toronto-Don Valley at Yorkland Boulevard. From Don Mills station to Sheppard-Yonge station where I took a train from the yellow line going south to Downtown. But if you are going to anywhere around Scarborough town centre then use the Blue line. Yellow line and blue line will be connected at Kennedy station.

Bixi Bikes

by kemisteryoso Updated Jan 19, 2013

I saw Bikes like this often every time I walk around Toronto. Before Toronto is the biking capital but Vancouver took over. I found out that you can rent a bike pick it up and leave it on a bixi station near to your destination. I didn't use it though coz I prefer walking around. One just have to subscribe or acquire a 24 or 72-hour access to use the service. You can take it out many times as you want for 30 minutes or less.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo

ART whilst Transitting at YYZ-Pearson

by kenHuocj Written Jan 7, 2013
    one of YYZ (TO Pearson) Terminal 3 Art Collection

i was on Darby2's front page reading about his mega photos using the GigaPan System, then i realised the last time a passed through Toronto Pearson Airport, an absorbing photos ot Toronto Street scenes must have used the same system.

this is Canada's biggest airport comparable to Chicago, with lots of domestic and international flights.

Like all international airport's, the Authorities and companies' operating them try their best to make it memorable,
    &B&L[http://www.torontopearson.com/en/shopdinerelax/art-exhibits/#]Art, permanent and changing is one of the ways to amuse, entertain and fascinate passengers rushing from gate to gate or strolling and ambling to waste the connecting time

• Photography
    • Business Travel

• Regina1965's Profile Photo

Toronto Pearson Airport.

by Regina1965 Updated Oct 10, 2012

Pearson Airport.

I have flown 4 times to and from Toronto airport with Icelandair on my way to Ottawa with Air Canada.

Icelandair uses Terminal 3 and Air Canada Terminal 1. So I have to switch between terminals to get my connecting flight. It has been quite a nuisance, not easy at all and I have found Pearson airport to be a maze. If I were to do this more frequently I would get used to it - must go more often to Canada, apparently.

To go from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1 one has to find the elevator leading to the upper floor where there is a shuttle taking one to Terminal 3. On every occasion have I passed the elevator, I cannot be this disoriented, so it must be poorly marked. Then there is walking and escalators and finally one arrives to catch the shuttle. From there on it is ok.

Going from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3 is much easier, just up the escalators on the right hand side and then follow the signs leading to the shuttle, up a few escalators though. And it makes all the difference doing this in daylight than in the dark.

On my way to Terminal 3 I had some Icelanders literally running into me in panic, trying to find their way to Terminal 1 - so I am not the only one getting confused here.

Apart from this the airport is excellent and I like the services of Air Canada.

On the 10th of September 2012 I met up with Loretta at Toronto Pearson airport. She had visited Iceland in May 2012 and I had helped her with planning her trip. So when I was travelling back home to Iceland from Ottawa, with a stopover in Toronto, she came to the airport and we had a coffee and a lovely chat.

• freddie18's Profile Photo

The City Lights Cruises is a Nightmare!

by freddie18 Written Jul 29, 2012
    City Lights Cruise Ship

Now that summertime is here again, it is about time to post a review of my worst cruise experience right in my own city of Toronto.

I was so excited when I got 16 tickets to go on a City Lights Cruises one end of summer. It's not my first time going on a cruise, but because it's sponsored by a company I work with, I am tempted to go for it. This cruise ship operates and offers dinner cruise in big cities in the US and Canada; New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, Seattle, Boston and Toronto. Being a resident of Toronto and works in the downtown core, I opted to join the one offered in my city.

Anyways, there are a couple of information that I totally disagree with this cruise for the following reasons. These information are very visible in their website:

* This is not the Ultimate Party on the Water that I expect. I have been to several Toronto harbour cruises and most of them are even better than City Lights Cruises ..... even without the party.
    * There is nothing good to discover. No good music to dance around and not enough crew on the boat who smile and welcome guests, with the exception of the Captain and the bartender.
    * I did not see a luxury yacht before and after the 3-hour cruise. That is not luxurious to my standard.
    * No best decor whatsoever. Please, give me at least one. Be specific.
    * Hot buffet? I don't even remember I ate. I already mentioned, not worth it. Not even the snacks (e.g. cookies) that the server has to count while staring at your face making sure that it is your first time to get it. If he is not sure, he will ask.
    * There is nothing to congratulate about, so I sent my concerns thru their email and sent another one to their website when I did not get an acknowlegement on my first. Well, their website did not say they will acknowledge receipt of complaints. All that they did say is ~ they love to hear from us whether we have questions, concerns, complaints or congratulations. In this case, they are right, they heard me and that's all they can do.
    * I do not want to go into detail on how rude and unfriendly two or three of the crews were. It is totally unacceptable and obviously, not a customer-oriented environment.

As a traveller, it is easy for me to notice the kind of service that any tourism business renders. I will definitely compare with the others. A traveller like me will make a review, recommend and brag about the best cruise or tour ever. More importantly, I warn my friends, were it be my colleagues, friends online and my blogging friends all over the globe.

The City Lights Cruises should not only hear what I am trying to say. They should realize that the reason why I spend time writing my complaint is for them to listen, investigate and take action based on a very detailed information I sent. I just want to help them improve. I gave them two chances to respond.

If you happen to go with the City Lights Cruises whether in the US or Canada, let me know and give me your feedback. I welcome your comments. And maybe, you can give me tips on the best cruise you ever had. There's a lot of good cruises around. I surely don't want anyone of us make the same mistake.

Via Rail in Toronto is a Perfect 10

by freddie18 Written Jul 29, 2012
    Via Rail Station in Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Some people think that it might be cheaper flying. I tell them it's not, if they travel with VIA. The price is affordable. They frequently have special promo. The price of the promo tickets does not even cover the taxes if you fly. As for the time it takes, yes the train ride is a solid 5-hour travel outside Canada, but a one hour flight can turn into 3 to 4 hours when you consider the time it takes to get through security and other formalities, not to mention the wait for your checked-in baggages. The Via trip is more relaxing, and the stations are located in city centres, unlike most airports which is located in the suburb. Booking tickets in advance will save you money with the supersaver fare. It gets sold out really quickly, so booking in advance is your best option.

In Via Rail, you have to stand in a long queue to board the train. It did not bother me at all. Last month, on my trip from Toronto to Kingston, it took less than five minutes for a long queue of passengers to board the train.

On my next trip, I am travelling on a business class ticket as adviced by some friends. "Do yourself a favour, dish out the extra dollars and take the business class, you won't regret it", says one of my friends. I want to try and maximize the benefits as much as I can using my Via Preference. Create a profile with Via Preference and be a member. You can accumulate one point for every dollar spent. I got my ticket from Toronto to Kingston for free redeeming my point using this programme. If you are a frequent traveller, take advantage of this, you will be glad you did.

I have travelled on VIA Rail quite a few times between Toronto, Kingston, Montreal and Ottawa and will continue to use their services in order to get between these cities. I really love this train. I can shell out the extra money for the comfort, the service, the speed, and the free WIFI. Personally, I prefer purchasing my train tickets online with VIA Rail. Their website, www.viarail.ca is user-friendly and easy to understand. The staff at the Union Station in Toronto are polite and very efficient whenever I pick up my tickets. The VIA crew are friendly, cheerful, helpful and very professional. Excellent job! Keep up the good work guys! What else can I say?

I've had nothing but friendly service in the 10 years using VIA Rail. With this review, I am giving VIA Rail a perfect 10 as I agree with them, its "A more human way to travel."

Go Bus

by kemisteryoso Written Jul 15, 2012

There's a regular Go bus going to Canada Wonderland everyday.
    I'm staying at downtown and I just took the subway (yellow line) Northbound going to York Mills station where there's bus terminal for Go bus.

Airport Express

by kemisteryoso Updated Jul 15, 2012

During my first trip I took a cab and costs me a lot and then I found out about Aeroport which I took at my second visit. This is way cheaper than taking a cab and for me more convenient if you are staying in a downtown Hotel. It will drop you off directly to some like Delta Chelsea, bond place hotel, sheraton centre, hyatt regence, intercontinental hotel, fairmont royal york and westin harbour castle. I took a round trip ticket for 39.96 Cad and buses will pick you up to any of the hotels mentioned every 30 minutes or so.
    This is a good option if you have heavy luggage and stuff like that.

The small booth is located just outside the exit in ground level of Pearson's International Airport.

Toronto Coach terminal

by kemisteryoso Updated Jun 19, 2012

There are lots of bus companies not only Coach. So if you want to go somewhere check if there's any bus bound to your desired destination. Like what I did. I took a coach bus here bound to Niagara and back to Toronto. Round trip ticket costs me 34.80 CAD.
    Located at Dundas street corner Bay street.

• PeterVancouver's Profile Photo

Toronto City Airport YTZ

by PeterVancouver Updated Mar 23, 2012
    Landing @ YTZ taken from Toronto city waterfront

Rather than landing out at the main Lester B Pearson International airport in Mississauga, arrival into Toronto through the Billy Bishop airport is a breeze just a few minutes ride from downtown Toronto and can be well worth a change of aircraft from a long haul simply to arrive directly in the city without further hassle. Grat for direct flights from NY Newark, Boston, Washington IAD or Halifax in particular. Public access to the airport from the mainland is by the Toronto Island Ferry. At only 122 m (400 ft) in distance, the route may be one of the world's shortest regularly scheduled ferry routes. The ferry, which transports vehicles and passengers, operates from a dock at Eireann Quay to the airport dock every 15 minutes from 5:30 am to midnight

There is a taxi stand and a small parking lot at the ferry dock. The 509 Harbourfront streetcar line serves the intersection of Bathurst Street and Queens Quay, one block north of the ferry dock, connecting the airport to Union Station. Air Canada & Porter airlines offer free return bus shuttle service between the Fairmont Royal York Hotel and the airport ferry dock

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Toronto Coach Terminal TCT

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jan 23, 2012

Toronto Coach Terminal - Edward Street Toronto

The Toronto Coach terminal is located at 610 Bay St, Toronto, ON M5G 1M5; just 3 blocks North of City Hall.

Here you find:
    -Toronto Transit Commision

• PeterVancouver's Profile Photo

"The Canadian" - Toronto - Vancouver

by PeterVancouver Updated Dec 13, 2011

As part of our overland and sea trip from London UK to Vancouver, we booked on Via Rail "The Canadian" train from Toronto to Vancouver

This is Via's #1 service from Toronto to Vancouver, a journey of some 2,800-miles which means four nights on the train to complete the journey. The literature and advertising of this service seems excellent, but in my opinion, I feel that being such a well-known train, and therefore very popular with Canadians and tourists alike, appears to be run as more for the convenience of the railway company than the fare paying passenger.
    Whilst the literature advises that you can only bring hand luggage into your cabin, even that can be a problem with the miniscule size of the sleeper cabin. Having been overseas for five weeks prior to boarding the train, we were told by the rail ticket agent that our main cases would be too big to go with us in the cabin, and that we would have to check them in to go in the baggage car and that we would not be able to obtain access to them for the next five days until arrival. We were therefore left with just two airline regulation size hand luggage bags and even then, these only just about went under the lower bunk so clearly anything larger would be virtually impossible. This is in complete contrast to Indian overnight trains such as the Rajdhani Express from Delhi to Mumbai where even main cases will fit under the bunks and chairs and a table are standard fittings in each overnight cabin.
    For a trip that is going to cost in excess of $2000 per passenger each way, you travel in such cramped conditions, that I am sure many a prisoner would complain. It is virtually impossible to pass one another when the bunk beds are down without one of you diving onto the fold up bed. The carriages are of circa 1950’s and clearly are in need of urgent replacement which I believe Via Rail will be doing soon. In the cabin is a small metal basin again reminiscent of prison (not that I know too much about that!) and a small toilet cubical with poor ventilation. The showers are communal, with one at the end of each car.
    The departure and arrival times are none too convenient as the train doesn’t leave Union Station Toronto until around 22.00hrs at night which is a pain when most hotels are keen to get you to leave by noon or 15.00hrs latest. There is a waiting room for this service in Toronto Union station where you can wait to pass the hours away, but no rail staff are in attendance other than someone outside checking to see if you are valid to use the waiting room. Around 8.30 at night you are then asked to line up outside in two long lines where the poor girl has to repeat to each passenger in turn, all the details about meals and make a booking for them as it has to be in three shifts due to the lack of sufficient dining cars on the train.
    Why Via doesn’t have one member of staff on hand for a number of hours prior to departure in the waiting room to book people in as they arrive, deal with any questions, and make the meal arrangements is beyond me, as the whole process could then be done so much more leisurely for both staff and passengers.
    Due to the amount of people on the train, it is expected you share the tables of four, with other people for all meals, so over the five days and three meals per day, you meet a number of folk, some interesting some less so. The meals were adequate with a choice of two or three main courses yet within this expensive train fare, Via feel that they have to charge for a glass of mediocre wine with your meal. This was especially strange for us as on this journey from the UK to Vancouver, we had been on Via Rail from Montreal to Ottawa and then Ottawa to Toronto where on their normal business class ticket, good hot meals plus several glasses of free wine was provided, yet on their very expensive flagship service, the customer has to pay for wine?

"The Canadian" Winnipeg & Jasper

We were informed that there would be two stops on our journey, one in Winnipeg for about three hours, and another in Jasper, where we were told that we would have to vacate the cabin we had been in for the past four days and move to another exactly the same, further up the train for the last night. None of the staff could explain why this had to happen, but by this time they had worn us down sufficiently that nothing surprised us. At the time of booking we were informed we could have just one stop over in the journey at no extra cost but that would mean a wait of two days for the next Via 1 train

Alberta and BC

Fortunately we were aware that we simply were not going to see any of the most impressive part of the journey which is of course crossing the Rocky Mountains, as the train schedule unbelievably makes sure this fabulous part of the trip is done right through the night and as dawn approaches we are back into the flat Lower Mainland area of Abbottsford in BC, with the mountains fast disappearing in the distance. For our part we were not as concerned as we had already made the trip from Calgary in Alberta to Vancouver on the splendid Gold Service of Rocky Mountaineer Rail which ensures you see all of the majestic mountains in full daylight, but to many tourists on our train, missing the fabulous views across the Rockies was a great disappointment. Clearly some travel agents had made their clients aware of this situation as a huge party from the UK, disembarked from our train in Jasper and were due to take the daytime Rocky Mountaineer for the daytime trip to Vancouver the next day However not only are you then paying for the Via 1 train, but also have to add the costs of the even more luxurious Gold Service Rocky Mountaineer train to get to Vancouver.

Upon arrival, in Vancouver which was around 9am, too early for many to be able to get their hotel rooms, our luggage arrived on the carousel only to find one of the new and unique and irreplaceable Queen Mary 2 baggage straps which we had purchased on the Atlantic crossing had been taken. There was no way this could fall off as even with the clasp undone, the strap had to feed through a tight loop in the case from which only determination could remove it plus in any event, the strap itself was fitted with a name and address tag. Everything within the case fortunately was intact, but I spent an eternity filling in a loss report in Vancouver Main line station and was part way through with the very attentive Via lady, when we were rudely interrupted by a male colleague of hers who insisted I step back to behind the counter very reminiscent of Customs Agents in certain areas of the world! An outcome of all this was that we were offered a $50 via rail voucher each, for the loss of the irreplaceable multicolored QM2 strap but as I pointed out, I was not interested in money, more the point being that I felt someone had deliberately taken this irreplaceable strap whist in the care of Via Rail in their baggage car. This was subsequently followed by a very friendly call from a Via rail member in Montreal saying she would up this to $100 each as clearly they wanted to put this matter to bed, and although I informed her that there was very little chance of me travelling Via Rail again, I accepted her offer as much as anything to please her, and filed the vouchers to possibly give to someone at some stage.
    As you can see, I was not especially impressed by this trip and the attitude of many of the Via staff was reminiscent to British Rail in the bad old days when they simply appeared not to care less about the passenger. I must confess we had been spoilt some week or so previously on the six day Atlantic crossing from Southampton to New York on the QM2 which was longer, absolute luxury and about half the cost of the train journey, but even so, there was so much that could be improved on “The Canadian” service, that the list is almost endless.

Pros:You see a bit of the Prairies
    Cons:Miss all of the fabulous rocky mountains
    In a nutshell:Toronto is a great city but "The Canadian" needs to improve

• Trains

Instant Answers: Toronto

Comments

Toronto Transportation

Reviews and photos of Toronto transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Toronto sightseeing.