Toronto Transportation

• Transportation
    by kemisteryoso
    Pearson International Airport, Toronto.
    by planxty
    Pearson International Airport, Toronto.
    by planxty

Most Recent Transportation in Toronto

• planxty's Profile Photo

An excellent facility.

by planxty Updated Jun 22, 2015

As explained in my introduction page to Toronto, I should not even have been there at all but I was re-routed through there with a turnaround of just under two hours. I had to clear immigration / customs / whatever controls there as I was transiting onwards to Edmonton and apparently they do not have the werewithal to do it.

Readers of my other pages will know the appalling time I had with the Canadian border authorities in Halifax, Nova Scotia the previous year and I was a little concerned about making my connection but I need not have worried. The difference here with Halifax was really chalk and cheese. I was dealt with quickly and professionally and after a couple of fairly standard questions and a courteous, "Welcome to Canada, sir" I was into the country and on my way.

Because of the hiatus in my travel plans I did not have a departure gate noted on my onward ticket but I need not have worried as signage in this rather pleasant and spotlessly clean facility was excellent and I soon enough found where I needed to be. It was pretty late in the evening so many of the shops were shut and so I looked around for somewhere to have a beer - well, it had been a stressful day! That was easily enough done as I came upon the rather inviting looking Red Rockets bar / restaurant (apparently named after the local transit system) and wandered in to enquire if I could have a drink without dining, which is not always the case. Certainly, that was no problem and the chap behind the bar duly served me up a most welcome pint of Molsen Canadian as I had asked what the local brew was. I do like to eat and drink what the locals do when I travel. As I have come to expect in Canada, he was very civil and chatty as indeed were the two or three locals (it was pretty empty at that time of the evening) when we got to discussing the golf that was on several large screen TV's dotted around the place. Whilst researching this tip I found out that it is open seven days a week from 0500 - 2300.

Fortuitously, the bar was literally no more than about 50 feet from my gate and so I had my pint and ambled over there to be boarded quickly and without fuss and got on my slightly wayward passage to Edmonton. There is really little more I can tell you about the place other than that it appears to be a very tidy and efficient international hub which served me well and, if you are interested in such things, it's airport code is YYZ. Certainly I would have no hesitation in transiting there again.

Pearson International Airport, Toronto. Pearson International Airport, Toronto. First Canadian beer this trip!
    • Beer Tasting

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

Getting there

by fairy_dust Updated Jun 22, 2015

To get to Toronto from far away, you can fly in at the Toronto Pearson airport. It's a huge international airport so you can fly in from pretty much anywhere and with any airline.

Also, Toronto Pearson is a major transfer point for people flying in/out of Canada (many international flights transfer in Toronto), so if you have to transfer through Pearson, you'll have to pick up your luggage and recheck it while there (which means waiting in line). Keep this in mind while booking your flight - you'll want a connection of at least 2 hours just to be safe since many more people will be in the same situation as you.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

The Train

by pieter_jan_v Updated Dec 11, 2014

Unioun station at 65 Front St. West is the central station for all destinations. From here you can take Toronto's subway.

Union station services Canadian Via Rail] and American Amtrak trains, the latter to/from New York and Chicago.

Canadian Pacific Railway 888-333-6370
    Via Rail Canada Inc 888-842-7245

Real time Public Transportation info on the Toronto map.

Union Station - Toronto Union Station - Toronto Union Station - Toronto Union Station - Toronto Union Station seen from the CN Tower
    • Trains

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

YTZ Billy Bishop Airport

by pieter_jan_v Written Apr 21, 2014

Toronto has a small city airport located at the Toronto Island at the Harbour front. It's called
    Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (BBTCA) with YTZ as Aiport Code.

The street address is: 2 Eireann Quay, Toronto, ON M5V 1A1, Canada

There are air services to 18 cities in Canada and the U.S.A.

BBTCA is owned and operated by the Toronto Port Authority (TPA).

Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

ParkBus

by GrumpyDiver Written Apr 23, 2013

Visiting the Provincial and National Parks in Ontario has pretty well always required a car, as there really has been no public transport for people wishing to get to these places.

There is a service out of Toronto, called Park Bus that will pick you and your camping gear up and take you to your campsite at the Bruce Penninsula. Killarney / French River / Grudy Lake and Algonquin Parks.

You do have to make your own reservations at the parks and bring your own gear and supplies.

• National/State Park

• Megabus Travel cheap

by Robin020 Updated Mar 18, 2013

if you wanna travel cheap from Toronto to Montreal,Buffalo,Niagara falls or some other cities.

I advice you to book in advance megabus is pretty cheap it has WI-fi as well.
    trip from Toronto Niagra falls is 2$ return
    It also goes to NYC and Washington DC.

www.megabus.ca

JumpOn JumpOff Tour Bus in Toronto

by freddie18 Updated Mar 16, 2013

Tourists in other countries like Paris, France and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia with the HopOn HopOff Tour Bus will be surprised when they visit Toronto, Canada. Yes, our city has it's own JumpOn JumpOff Tour Bus. You really don't have to 'jump'...all you do is GetOn and GetOff the tour bus when you want to see any of the 30 tourist attractions in the city.

You will be treated to an open top antique double decker bus that stops at the best attractions, sites, shopping, dining, and events that Toronto has to offer. You will have a full historical narration from our knowledgeable tour guide.

Prices, taxes already included, are as follows for your reference.
    NOTE: Prices are good at the time of writing this tip. Check the link below to confirm current ticket price.

Adult Cdn$33.00
    Senior(65+)/Student Cdn$30.00
    Child Cdn$20.00
    Family (2 Adult & 2 Child) Cdn$95.00

Just to give you an idea, the duration of tour without getting off the bus is two hours and your unused tour tickets are valid "Everyday of Your Stay".

Come visit us, we'll show you around and see the "True Toronto"

JumpOn JumpOff Sightseeing Tour Bus in Toronto JumpOn JumpOff Sightseeing Tour Bus in Toronto
    • Seniors

Subway Train

by kemisteryoso Written Jan 19, 2013

At first I used taxi, the second time the airport express then I learned about the train and from that time on I always use it every time I visit Toronto. It so easy. Coming from the airport there's a bus that will take you to Kipling station for only 3 dollars and you wont pay extra by taking the train going to downtown Toronto. The travel is around 30 minutes. The Green line(Bloor-Danforth) runs from east to West, Yellow line(Yonge-University-Spadina) take you from south to North. This two lines will be connected at Bloor-Yonge, St. George and Spadina Stations. The Sheppard line is purple. I used this line when I went to downtown for the very first time. I was staying at Days Hotel Toronto-Don Valley at Yorkland Boulevard. From Don Mills station to Sheppard-Yonge station where I took a train from the yellow line going south to Downtown. But if you are going to anywhere around Scarborough town centre then use the Blue line. Yellow line and blue line will be connected at Kennedy station.

The Yellow line

Bixi Bikes

by kemisteryoso Updated Jan 19, 2013

I saw Bikes like this often every time I walk around Toronto. Before Toronto is the biking capital but Vancouver took over. I found out that you can rent a bike pick it up and leave it on a bixi station near to your destination. I didn't use it though coz I prefer walking around. One just have to subscribe or acquire a 24 or 72-hour access to use the service. You can take it out many times as you want for 30 minutes or less.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo

ART whilst Transitting at YYZ-Pearson

by kenHuocj Written Jan 7, 2013

i was on Darby2's front page reading about his mega photos using the GigaPan System, then i realised the last time a passed through Toronto Pearson Airport, an absorbing photos ot Toronto Street scenes must have used the same system.

this is Canada's biggest airport comparable to Chicago, with lots of domestic and international flights.

Like all international airport's, the Authorities and companies' operating them try their best to make it memorable,
    &B&L[http://www.torontopearson.com/en/shopdinerelax/art-exhibits/#]Art, permanent and changing is one of the ways to amuse, entertain and fascinate passengers rushing from gate to gate or strolling and ambling to waste the connecting time

one of YYZ (TO Pearson) Terminal 3 Art Collection i dreamed i could fly 2003 untitled 2003 from a changing exhibit

• Regina1965's Profile Photo

Toronto Pearson Airport.

by Regina1965 Updated Oct 10, 2012

I have flown 4 times to and from Toronto airport with Icelandair on my way to Ottawa with Air Canada.

Icelandair uses Terminal 3 and Air Canada Terminal 1. So I have to switch between terminals to get my connecting flight. It has been quite a nuisance, not easy at all and I have found Pearson airport to be a maze. If I were to do this more frequently I would get used to it - must go more often to Canada, apparently.

To go from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1 one has to find the elevator leading to the upper floor where there is a shuttle taking one to Terminal 3. On every occasion have I passed the elevator, I cannot be this disoriented, so it must be poorly marked. Then there is walking and escalators and finally one arrives to catch the shuttle. From there on it is ok.

Going from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3 is much easier, just up the escalators on the right hand side and then follow the signs leading to the shuttle, up a few escalators though. And it makes all the difference doing this in daylight than in the dark.

On my way to Terminal 3 I had some Icelanders literally running into me in panic, trying to find their way to Terminal 1 - so I am not the only one getting confused here.

Apart from this the airport is excellent and I like the services of Air Canada.

On the 10th of September 2012 I met up with Loretta at Toronto Pearson airport. She had visited Iceland in May 2012 and I had helped her with planning her trip. So when I was travelling back home to Iceland from Ottawa, with a stopover in Toronto, she came to the airport and we had a coffee and a lovely chat.

Pearson Airport. A VT-meeting at Pearson airport. These statues are outside Terminal 1. The shuttle between Terminal 1 and Terminal 3. Air Canada.

• freddie18's Profile Photo

The City Lights Cruises is a Nightmare!

by freddie18 Written Jul 29, 2012

Now that summertime is here again, it is about time to post a review of my worst cruise experience right in my own city of Toronto.

I was so excited when I got 16 tickets to go on a City Lights Cruises one end of summer. It's not my first time going on a cruise, but because it's sponsored by a company I work with, I am tempted to go for it. This cruise ship operates and offers dinner cruise in big cities in the US and Canada; New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, Seattle, Boston and Toronto. Being a resident of Toronto and works in the downtown core, I opted to join the one offered in my city.

Anyways, there are a couple of information that I totally disagree with this cruise for the following reasons. These information are very visible in their website:

* This is not the Ultimate Party on the Water that I expect. I have been to several Toronto harbour cruises and most of them are even better than City Lights Cruises ..... even without the party.
    * There is nothing good to discover. No good music to dance around and not enough crew on the boat who smile and welcome guests, with the exception of the Captain and the bartender.
    * I did not see a luxury yacht before and after the 3-hour cruise. That is not luxurious to my standard.
    * No best decor whatsoever. Please, give me at least one. Be specific.
    * Hot buffet? I don't even remember I ate. I already mentioned, not worth it. Not even the snacks (e.g. cookies) that the server has to count while staring at your face making sure that it is your first time to get it. If he is not sure, he will ask.
    * There is nothing to congratulate about, so I sent my concerns thru their email and sent another one to their website when I did not get an acknowlegement on my first. Well, their website did not say they will acknowledge receipt of complaints. All that they did say is ~ they love to hear from us whether we have questions, concerns, complaints or congratulations. In this case, they are right, they heard me and that's all they can do.
    * I do not want to go into detail on how rude and unfriendly two or three of the crews were. It is totally unacceptable and obviously, not a customer-oriented environment.

As a traveller, it is easy for me to notice the kind of service that any tourism business renders. I will definitely compare with the others. A traveller like me will make a review, recommend and brag about the best cruise or tour ever. More importantly, I warn my friends, were it be my colleagues, friends online and my blogging friends all over the globe.

The City Lights Cruises should not only hear what I am trying to say. They should realize that the reason why I spend time writing my complaint is for them to listen, investigate and take action based on a very detailed information I sent. I just want to help them improve. I gave them two chances to respond.

If you happen to go with the City Lights Cruises whether in the US or Canada, let me know and give me your feedback. I welcome your comments. And maybe, you can give me tips on the best cruise you ever had. There's a lot of good cruises around. I surely don't want anyone of us make the same mistake.

City Lights Cruise Ship

Via Rail in Toronto is a Perfect 10

by freddie18 Written Jul 29, 2012

Some people think that it might be cheaper flying. I tell them it's not, if they travel with VIA. The price is affordable. They frequently have special promo. The price of the promo tickets does not even cover the taxes if you fly. As for the time it takes, yes the train ride is a solid 5-hour travel outside Canada, but a one hour flight can turn into 3 to 4 hours when you consider the time it takes to get through security and other formalities, not to mention the wait for your checked-in baggages. The Via trip is more relaxing, and the stations are located in city centres, unlike most airports which is located in the suburb. Booking tickets in advance will save you money with the supersaver fare. It gets sold out really quickly, so booking in advance is your best option.

In Via Rail, you have to stand in a long queue to board the train. It did not bother me at all. Last month, on my trip from Toronto to Kingston, it took less than five minutes for a long queue of passengers to board the train.

On my next trip, I am travelling on a business class ticket as adviced by some friends. "Do yourself a favour, dish out the extra dollars and take the business class, you won't regret it", says one of my friends. I want to try and maximize the benefits as much as I can using my Via Preference. Create a profile with Via Preference and be a member. You can accumulate one point for every dollar spent. I got my ticket from Toronto to Kingston for free redeeming my point using this programme. If you are a frequent traveller, take advantage of this, you will be glad you did.

I have travelled on VIA Rail quite a few times between Toronto, Kingston, Montreal and Ottawa and will continue to use their services in order to get between these cities. I really love this train. I can shell out the extra money for the comfort, the service, the speed, and the free WIFI. Personally, I prefer purchasing my train tickets online with VIA Rail. Their website, www.viarail.ca is user-friendly and easy to understand. The staff at the Union Station in Toronto are polite and very efficient whenever I pick up my tickets. The VIA crew are friendly, cheerful, helpful and very professional. Excellent job! Keep up the good work guys! What else can I say?

I've had nothing but friendly service in the 10 years using VIA Rail. With this review, I am giving VIA Rail a perfect 10 as I agree with them, its "A more human way to travel."

Via Rail Station in Kingston, Ontario, Canada Kingston ViaRail Station

Go Bus

by kemisteryoso Written Jul 15, 2012

There's a regular Go bus going to Canada Wonderland everyday.
    I'm staying at downtown and I just took the subway (yellow line) Northbound going to York Mills station where there's bus terminal for Go bus.

Airport Express

by kemisteryoso Updated Jul 15, 2012

During my first trip I took a cab and costs me a lot and then I found out about Aeroport which I took at my second visit. This is way cheaper than taking a cab and for me more convenient if you are staying in a downtown Hotel. It will drop you off directly to some like Delta Chelsea, bond place hotel, sheraton centre, hyatt regence, intercontinental hotel, fairmont royal york and westin harbour castle. I took a round trip ticket for 39.96 Cad and buses will pick you up to any of the hotels mentioned every 30 minutes or so.
    This is a good option if you have heavy luggage and stuff like that.

The small booth is located just outside the exit in ground level of Pearson's International Airport.

Instant Answers: Toronto

Comments

Toronto Transportation

Reviews and photos of Toronto transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Toronto sightseeing.