Thames River Lighthouse, Windsor
This 200 years old Lighthouse located at the mouth of the Thames River at Lake St. Clair.
'The Lower Thames Valley Conservation Authority obtained the lighthouse in 1973 and has since moved the structure and rebuilt it stone by stone.'
Directions: Lighthouse Conservation Area is located at 19028 Harbour Drive in Lighthouse Cove, Town of Lakeshore. From Chatham, follow Riverview Drive to Tecumseh Drive, north into Lighthouse Cove (Coordinates: Lat/Long 42.317, -82.455 UTM 380120, 4685590).
Situated at the mouth of the Thames River at Lake St. Clair sits the second oldest lighthouse in the Province of Ontario. It was built in 1818 as a result of the War of 1812. The Canadian Coast Guard now looks after this structure and its light still guides people to the river! There is a restaurant and marina, here as well.
Lighthouse Cove, Ontario
(not on the VT map!)
As a child, our family often took the drive out in the county to LIGHTHOUSE COVE. Today it is built up with new homes, but I remember it as being a paradise of frog ponds and great fishing from the dock of a family friend's cottage. Nearby was one of the oldest lighthouses in the area.
Lighthouse Cove Area is also well-known for birding. During mid-March, thousands of Tundra Swans stop to feed in this area on their northern migratory flight. In late spring, it is host to numerous marsh birds and occasionally Brewer's Blackbirds are found on the nearby sod farms.
Lighthouse Cove -- East of Belle River -- follow Highway 2 to # 39 and follow the signs.
Northeast of Essex --Follow # 8 east, then # 37 north and 39 east and follow the signs.
From Windsor take County Road # 2 along the shore of Lake St. Clair for about 31 miles to County Road # 39, then north to Lighthouse Cove. Here we found the active Thames River Rear Range Lighthouse, located in the one-hectare Lighthouse Conservation Area. The picturesque 54-foot-tall tower is of rubble stone, topped by a brick extension. Established in 1818, it is the second oldest lighthouse in Ontario. The current structure was built in 1867, and restored in 1975.
Although we visited here during the first week in July, there wasn't another tourist in sight. We thought it a special spot of serenity and beauty.