Centerpiece of Windsor's downtown riverfront is Dieppe Gardens. The park was dedicated in 1959, on property which once was the docking site for the Detroit/Windsor Ferry Co. It is heavily planted in both prennenial and annual flowers, as well as trees and shrubbery, including several interesting topiaries.
The gardens are named for the many members of the Essex-Kent Scotish Regiment who lost their lives during the landing at Dieppe, France in 1942, during the Second World War. Historians consider the Dieppe attack instrumental in the ultimate victory of the Allied Forces over Nazi Germany.
Each June and July a two week International Freedom Festival is held at Dieppe Gardens, drawing from 600,000 to 800,000 visitors annually. We were fortunate to be present for this outstanding festival during our first visit to Windsor.
Located at the foot of Ouellete Avenue, DIEPPE GARDENS is dedicated to the men and women who lost their lives during the Battle of Dieppe in France during the second world war.