Cap-aux-Meules Transportation

Air Canada Jazz Dash-8 at les Iles

Most Recent Transportation in Cap-aux-Meules

Taking the ferry to the Magdalen Islands

Morning ferry leaving for Prince Edward Island

Another way to get to les Iles is to take the ferry that leaves from the town of Souris, Prince Edward Island. In the summertime, there are two daily departures (in both directions) and the trip lasts about 5h. It's been a while since I've traveled on board one of those ferries, but the last time I did they were quite comfortable - as long as you're not seasick, of course - with several lounge areas, a bar and a cafeteria. One of the advantages of traveling this way is that you can bring your car with you to les Iles, but it's a good idea to book ahead of time as the ferries usually travel at full capacity. The same company that operates the ferry now offers weekly cruises with departures from Montreal and Chandler (in the Gaspe area). The full cruise lasts about two days, and details (schedule, price and so on) are available on the Groupe CTMA's website.

• Cruise

Flying to les Iles from Montreal or Quebec City

Air Canada Jazz Dash-8 at les Iles

The easiest - but most expensive - way to travel to the Magdalen Islands is to go by plane. In the summertime, Air Canada Jazz operates one direct flight a day from Montreal to les Iles, and two more that stop in Quebec City and Gaspe along the way (the same schedule applies for return flights). The direct flight from Montreal takes a little over 2h, and if you leave from Quebec City it usually takes 2h40 to get to les Iles. The airport is located on the island of Havre-aux-Maisons and there usually are taxis waiting for passengers when flights arrive. It's more expensive than going by ferry but considering all the time you save, I thought it was well worth it!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

The absolute best way to discover les Iles!!

Vincent and I on our scooters

Because there's a good bit of distance between the different islands, to make the most of your trip you definitely need a set of wheels. Some people will rent a car, others will bring their bicycles... we decided to have the best of both worlds and rented scooters! It was so much fun to drive around the islands on our little scooters, it allowed us to cover quite a bit of distance (about 200 km in two days) but at a pace that made it possible to admire the landscape. Whenever one of us wanted to stop to look at something or take a picture, all we needed to do was honk a couple times and we'd just stop on the side of the road, it was great! And yes, I did manage to fall off my scooter once, but I'm not the most skilled person out there and the important thing is that I didn't get hurt and got right back on it.

We rented our scooters from Hertz at Cap-aux-Meules, and the price was about $50/day with insurance (and gas was less than $5 for the 2 days). It's a good idea to book ahead of time as they are really popular!

Instant Answers: Cap-aux-Meules

Comments

Cap-aux-Meules Transportation

Reviews and photos of Cap-aux-Meules transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cap-aux-Meules sightseeing.

View all Cap-aux-Meules hotels