Know about this? Rate It!
If you have a bit of extra time then you really should pay a visit to the enormous cemetery on the north-west slope of Mont-Royal.
Spanning 165 acres, it was first opened in 1852. It's particularly fascinating to see some of the older tombstones, as well as the more ornate ones.
Walking through the cemetery is like walking through the history of Canada, with several famous people buried here.
- Historical Travel
Cimetiere Mont Royal
Located at 1297 Chemin de la Forêt, Outremont, Québec H2V 2P9. On a hot day like the day we visited, the hike up to the cemetery gave us a work out. We entered through the rear entrance as this was easier to get to for us taking the metro. Exiting the Édouard-Montpetit metro station easier than exiting the Université-de-Montréal metro station.
Be careful with ghosts!
Montréal has some beautiful cementeries. One of those -actually two- is at Mont Royal... pretty diferent to the ones we have where I live. Anyway, they say these are places that often host ghosts; I don't know as I couldn't see any, but... wait! look at the floor! Fallen leaves left their shadow impression on the ground, and still remain there after they're gone... like if they were ghosts! :)
I don't know how popular a...
I don't know how popular a place this is amongst tourists, but it is a rather pleasant place to visit on a warm, sunny summer day: the cemetary behind Universite de Montreal.
It is Quebec's largest cemetary and has several entrances. Get off at metro stop Edouard-Mont Petit and hike up the hill to the university and into the cemetery. It is well kept and houses many nice plants, trees and flowers. There are three sections, each for those buried that are of the Catholic, Protestant or Jewish faith. Some very prominent families are buried here, including the Molson's. Walking along you will reach the peak of Mount Royal that is more touristy and gives a great view onto the city.(the Belvedere)
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
Montreal Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Cambria Hotels
- Sliema Hotels
- Mount Robson Hotels
- Masai Mara Game Reserve Hotels
- Jamaica Off The Beaten Path
- Atlanta Off The Beaten Path
- Nashville Off The Beaten Path
- Arizona Off The Beaten Path
- Charleston Off The Beaten Path
- Toronto Off The Beaten Path
- Crete Island Off The Beaten Path
- San Francisco Off The Beaten Path
- Quebec Off The Beaten Path
- Vermont Off The Beaten Path
- Salt Lake City Off The Beaten Path
- Lexington Off The Beaten Path