by marktynernyc
    by hayward68
  • SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

L'Express: French Bistro Fare

by SFHulaGIrl Updated Aug 9, 2007

L'Express is very reminiscent of a bistro in Paris. I arrived, sans reservations, around 8:15 p.m. on a Sunday night. The entire floor of the restaurant seemed to be full, though there were several seats at the bar. I took a seat at the bar, while informing the host that a friend would be joining me within 15 minutes. He relayed that message to the bartender. Though I'd heard that the service was a bit arrogant, I personally did not experience any of that. My dinner companion, on the other hand, was displeased when they mixed up his salmon order, ostensibly charging him for the more expensive salmon dish, which was not what he had requested.

Apparently, this restaurant is open until 2:00 a.m. Monday through Saturday nights.

Favorite Dish: I chose to go with the rillettes (good) & the ravioli maison (VERY good!). A jar of cornichons accompanied our meal.

• Business Travel

• marktynernyc's Profile Photo

L'Express: classic French bistro...

by marktynernyc Updated Nov 16, 2004

L'Express, Montreal

I started with bone marrows and grey salt - spooning the marrow on toasted slices of bagettes, sprinkling wioth a bit of salt - a perfect fall dish. My friend had the steak-frites - the steak wonderfully seasoned. I had boudin blanc with sauteed vegtables and chestnuts. Great atmosphere - we sat at the bar.

• L'Express: Excellent!

by douglj Written Jan 5, 2004

Fantastic food, presentation and service, excellent great price for all of this. We ate there for New Years eve this year and Wow! Great and interesting wine list. Try the Caribo with mushroom sauce which was one of the best red meat dishes Ive had in years! BTW attempt to speak/pronounce French if you dont allready as this will make the experience more fun.

Favorite Dish: see above

• hayward68's Profile Photo

L'Express: Fabulous French Food

by hayward68 Written Feb 3, 2003

French Restaurant

Don't let the name of this place put you off, it's definitely not fast food. This smallish restaurant seems somewhat unassuming when you walk in but you will notice that it's full. A reservation is definitely suggested.
    The atmosphere is not subdued as the clientelle babble on mostly in French ;-) We were the only English speaking there the night we went.
    The wait staff are great, very helpful with suggestions as to what to eat and what wine to choose to go with your meal.
    A jar of gerkins is placed on your table along with a basket of bread, so help yourself.
    If you don't speak French, don't worry you can always ask for the English menu ;-)

Favorite Dish: I had the roasted quail with wild rice (13.75) which was totally divine and the presentation on the plate.... I should have taken a picture! LJ had roast lamb with an aubergine mousse and a cheesy potato (19.75), she thoroughly enjoyed it :-)
    For afters I had the lemon tarte (5.05) , just perfect while LJ chose camembert with walnets and small toasts.(4.95)

Instant Answers: Montreal

Comments

Hotels Near L'Express
3.5 out of 5 stars