Places to eat in Montreal

Most Viewed Restaurants in Montreal

Oishi Sushi: Japanese fine dining in Outremont

by fairy_dust Written Jan 24, 2015

Oishi Sushi is a small Japanese restaurant in the Outremont/Mile-End area. It's nice and quiet, and the food is delicious. If you like sushi and can afford fine dining, this is a great place for it. My aunt and uncle took me there once, and we loved everything we ordered.

Aside from ordering appetizers off the menu, all you have to do is check off the sushi items you want on the paper they give you, then the waitress takes it to the kitchen. Then, they bring the menu items one or two at a time.

They also have a separate drink menu for beer, sake, wine, cocktails, etc.

They also deliver, if you want to order in instead of going to the actual restaurant.

Favorite Dish: All the sushi items I tried were delicious, and the appetizers were great too (especially the dumplings).

As for drinks, though the cosmopolitan I drank tasted a little like cough syrup, my aunt and uncle loved their tokyotinis (ginger martini).

For desserts - the green tea cheesecake was soooo delicious! And I love how the top was caramelized like creme brûlée (I LOVE creme brûlée).

Beauty's Luncheonette: Breakfast, brunch, and lunch

by fairy_dust Written Dec 29, 2014

This diner is an institution in Montreal - it's been around for decades (and is still owned by the same family that opened it) and is well-known for its delicious brunch fare. Don't be fooled by the plain, easy-to-miss exterior - it's a nice little place and totally worth a visit.

The restaurant was opened in 1942 by a young Jewish couple named Hymie and Freda Sckolnick. Originally, most of their customers were factory workers who worked in the area (at the time, it was the garment district), but it quickly became popular beyond this clientele. Hymie and Freda's son Larry eventually joined this family business in the 60s, and even now in the 2010s, the restaurant is still running and popular as ever. Even when you come in, you'll likely be welcomed in by Hymie (the gruff but smiley old man with white hair).

Trivia tidbit - Beauty was Hymie's old bowling nickname back in the day.

Favorite Dish: I love the Beauty's Basic - a typical "American breakfast" featuring eggs (cooked however you want), pork (bacon, ham or sausage), and potatoes. I also love the smoothies, especially the apple pie one. My mother always orders blintzes - also delicious. The latkes are also worth a try.

Cafe Chat L'Heureux: Coffee and kitties

by fairy_dust Written Dec 27, 2014

Cafe Chat L'Heureux (Happy Cat Cafe) is a cat cafe - they have several resident cats who wander around while people eat, and you can pet them and play with them while you're there. The place is also structured to appeal to cats, with lots of shelves, boxes, platforms, etc for them to climb, hide in, etc. There are grown cats, as well as kittens, and all were carefully selected for their friendly personalities and their abilities to get along with people and other cats.

The food and drinks are pricey, but good. You can easily eat a full meal there, as they don't just have little cafe snacks - they also have sandwiches, salads, etc. They also have vegan options.

Favorite Dish: The Tartine du Jardin (which includes a salad) is delicious. The Milady smoothie is also good.

Something cute - some drinks are served in a teapot shaped like a cat.

• Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Seven: Italian Cuisine in a Happening Spot!

by GracesTrips Updated Aug 19, 2014

My boyfriend has this thing about not planning every single detail when we are on travel. So, I only made reservations at two restaurants and we played it by ear for the other evenings. This was one of them and we actually enjoyed the food and ambience. Seven is located on the ever popular Rue Crescent and on this particular Monday night, there was a lot of people out and about. I think because of the warm day and still quite warm in the evening, people said hey lets not stay home. Who knows but it made it much more fun to see all the people.

This is actually called Club Seven and turns into a nightclub in the latter evening hours.

• Singles

La Sauvagine: French Dining in Old Montreal

by GracesTrips Updated Aug 19, 2014

I had made reservations for dinner at Narcisse Bistro. Upon entering the establishment and reviewing the menu, it was not as I expected and felt bad about leaving. I wanted to dine at a French restaurant and their menu appeared to me more Italian. So, we happen to pick this restaurant which is known for serving game such as vennison & wild boar. I chose the duck breast and duck confit entree. It was not as good as the duck confit I had at Bonaparte's. But over all the food was fine. My boyfriend had the vennison and wild boar but he didn't expect so little food. My daughter was happy with her French onion soup and pasta dish.

French Onion Soup Duck Breast and Duck Confit View from the restaurant window

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Laloux: Oo la la, Laloux! French Cuisine!

by GracesTrips Updated Aug 19, 2014

This restaurant was a recommendation from the concierge at our hotel. What a pleasant surprise it was! Not in the downtown area but sort of off the beaten path closer to a residential area. Small, quaint and classy. I started my meal with the soup du jour which was presented to me with a bowl to have white beans and minced carrots. A hot creamy soup concoction was pour into the bowl of vegetables and it was crunchy, creamy and buttery. Just amazing! My boyfriend start his dinner with the beef tartar which was different and delish! For my entree, I had the halibut and my boyfriend and daughter ordered the flank steak and french fries. The halibut dish came with Blue Mountain mushrooms. Only a few were on my plate. They had the best flavor ever! We enjoyed a superb meal and conversation. I would highly recommend this place to dine at!

Flank Steak with French Fries and Salad Beef Tartar Halibut
    • Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

Bonaparte: French Cuisine

by GracesTrips Updated Aug 19, 2014

This was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had! The ambience is amazingly quaint and upscale. Located very close to the Notre-Dame Basilica in the district of Old Montréal with it's coblestone streets. I started my meal with a green vegetable soup. It was unlike what I expected. A lentil and split pea puree just slightly seasoned, hardly any salt. This allowed the flavors of the beans to come through and it was delicious. I ordered the duck leg confit which was accompanied by a variety of vegetables and a delicious sauce. My daughter had the lobster stew. It wasn't really stew at all. About 1/2 a steamed lobster with a bit of pasta in a buttery vanilla sauce. The vanilla sauce complimented the lobster very well. The price of this dish (for being lobster) was quite reasonable. We ended our meal with the creme brulee and it was absolutely creamy!. We ordered a bottle of wine, two soups, three entrees and two deserts, the meal was just slightly over $200 Canadian. It was well worth it! The restaurant also offers a tasting menu which may be slightly less than we had paid per person.

Duck Leg Confit Spotlight on the Orchid Lobster Stew with Pasta Creme Brulee
    • Luxury Travel

Devi: Indian Awesome

by tvor Written Jul 21, 2014

Crescent Street in the west part of Montreal's downtown core is lined with restaurants and bars and is a hopping place to go on a warm summer evening. Our hotel was one street over from Crescent so we headed there looking for somewhere to eat. We required somewhere that had some vegetarian options and oddly enough, most of the places whose menus we looked at had very little to offer. In this day and age, most restaurants seem to have a bit more variety in that respect.

We found an Indian restaurant, Devi, and decided on that as Indian food usually has lots of vegetarian choices. The restaurant had a nice decor with bright stained glass lamps that were cheerful on an overcast and foggy evening. The wall next to where we sat had some sculpture inset into it that was actually quite interesting.

Ah but the food... The menu is quite large but in the end, having too much to choose from, we all picked items from the "Manager's Special", a fixed price three course menu, starter, main and dessert and had at least one vegetarian option in each. It was $29 plus taxes which we thought reasonable.

Everything we had was really good. They profess to using very fresh ingredients and it shows in the taste. The flavours really work well together and we couldn't get enough! Well, we could, but you know what I mean. We had a nice bottle of house red which complemented it very well and a zippy gingery cocktail to start off. The naan bread was a huge basket full and was grilled.

There are stairs to get into the restaurant.

You can reserve online. They deliver and do takeout.

Favorite Dish: I had an appetiser with blocks of marinated paneer (cheese) and a Lamb dish.

Vasco de Gama: Go Portuguese

by tvor Written Jul 19, 2014

Vasco de Gama is a small Portuguese restaurant with quite a good variety of items on the menu, many are fairly exotic sounding or unusual such as a duck and candied fig pannini. The food seems fresh and there are lots of interesting things to try. We, however, were only there for breakfast so that's all I can write a review on.

They have several types of omelets, and egg wraps as well. You can also get bagels with various toppings, fruit and yogurt. There's none of the usual bacon, eggs, sausage and beans here but the food is all made from fresh and healthy ingredients. One of us had a veggie omelet and I had a wrap with egg and ham and cheese in it. They served the tea in a bright red teapot which was quite cheerful. The prices are not too bad, not really cheap like a diner, but worth what you're getting for your money. The end of the restaurant was open to a little sidewalk patio area.

Favorite Dish: We had breakfast stuff and it was yummy!

Reuben's Deli: Deli Delight on St. Catherine

by tvor Written Jul 16, 2014

Reuben's is another deli in Montreal that specializes in smoked meat. It's got a dark interior with brown leather booths and lots of wrapped hunks of their famous smoked beef in the window. Yummy looking cakes greet you in the display case when you come in. Judging from the menu, you will need a hearty apetite to eat here and the items all look really good. It would be difficult to choose!

We visited it because we were on the prowl for breakfast so that's all I can really speak to. Having said that, though, the breakfast here is really good. A Greek omelet on my plate and Huevos Rancheros on the plate of my companion were wonderful! We also had the option of rye bread for toast which makes for a really nice breakfast. Breakfast mainly came with homestyle fried potatoes, toast and tea/coffee.

The price per person rated in this tip is for breakfast, not dinner.

Open 6:30 a.m. and until midnight, 1:30 a.m. on Friday and Saturday night. Level access.

Favorite Dish: Omelets were amazing. They had a very good breakfast lineup and prices were not bad at all.

Reuben's interior

• alza's Profile Photo

Zenya: Montreal Sushi Confidential

by alza Updated Mar 20, 2014

In terms of the menu and food preparation, this place is tops among all Japanese restaurants I know. The cuisine is consistently innovative, inventive and very well explained to help guests make their choices. Then, service is discrete, professional and always very pleasant.

Location is surprising, on 2nd Floor of a 5-story building in the heart of downtown.
    The restaurant interior is nice and relaxing: quiet atmosphere, enhanced by dark bamboo walls, zen furniture and muted lighting. The one concession made to traditional Japanese décor is a footbridge at the entrance -- and watch out! from bright lights in the elevator and the halls, you step into obscurity and suddenly find yourself swaying on a humpbacked bridge.
    At least you don't have to walk on rocks planted in the water.
    I enjoy the understated elegance of this place.

There is a sushi bar on the side where guests can see the itamae chef at work. He moves with amazing grace and always welcomes curious onlookers with a quick smile while staying concentrated -- anybody would, with those knives!

Previously, I'd gone to Zenya twice, at lunch time on a week day. The place was not crowded but buzzing, mostly with young business people. All sharp on money talk so I couldn't really follow much.
    Once I was seated beside a table of six financial young wolves all vying for the attention of another Generation Y guy, this one from London. The dishes they ordered were all so impressive that it's actually what brought me back to Zenya a few days ago. But I chose early dinner this time, for more peace and quiet. :-)

Favorite Dish: 9 March 2014, I went in yearning for tempura so I ordered it. But I also tried two other dishes and ate a dessert. The shrimp and vegetable tempura was good but not crispy enough. Perhaps the pieces were fried too slowly, in oil at too low a temperature. Other dishes were wonderful, I ate everything even after my hunger was satisfied (something I never do.) Here's what I had:

Green tea **Excellent**

Hakutsuru (white crane) Junmai-shu sake, made in Kobe. I had it hot but it's also served cold. Mild at first, with a bit of sharpness kicking in on the palate before swallowing. **Very good**
    (Junmai-shu sake is pure rice wine.)

Tempura crevettes et légumes as a starter. **Good taste, disappointing texture**

Tartare of two salmons: fried rice patties, topped with smoked salmon, spicy fresh salmon, tobiko flying fish roe and green onions, on a teriyaki emulsion (5 pieces.) Crunshy bottom, soft top. Yum! **Delicious**

Kani sunomono: traditional Japanese salad with algae and rice noodles, in a light Japanese rice vinaigrette **Fantastic**

Yuzu tartlet: Japanese lemon made into curd, in pâte brisée (that crust was slightly hard.) Very tangy lemon taste and excellent curd consistency.

NOTE: I started this Review minutes ago on my smartphone, to test my photo upload potential from it onto VT. Found out I cannot access my phone's Gallery as I do my laptop's Images, + clicked the wrong button during testing. Ended up with a photo of my living-room!
    Now I know, I can write a Review from my phone and include photos, but only those snapped on my phone while in the "Create a Review" process.

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

Qing Hua Dumpling: Dumplings galore!

by fairy_dust Written Jan 8, 2014

This is a restaurant that specializes in Chinese dumplings. Though they have other menu items (such as soup, tofu appetizers, etc), the dumplings take centre stage here. You can order them steamed or fried (fried is a little more expensive and takes longer to cook), and each dish has about 15 dumplings. If you're in a group, you can order multiple plates/dishes and share.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dumplings are the lamb and coriander ones, and I prefer them fried. The spicy tofu appetizer is delicious too.

Bagel Etc.: Breakfast, lunch, and brunch

by fairy_dust Written Jan 1, 2014

Bagel Etc is a small cafe/restaurant on St. Laurent. Though they obviously serve bagels (prepared in all sorts of ways), they also have other breakfast foods - eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, blintzes, etc.

I've also heard a rumour that Leonard Cohen often eats breakfast here whenever he's in town (he lives in one of the houses surrounding the little Portuguese park right across the street). Just in case you want a celebrity sighting... though I'm not going to guarantee anything!

Favorite Dish: The blintzes are delicious, though everything is worth a taste!

Pizzeria Romeo: Not your typical pizza place

by fairy_dust Written Dec 11, 2013

When hearing "pizzeria", most people probably assume the place serves greasy pizzas and coke to drunk people coming out of bars. But no - this place is quite classy. The pizzas are made from very creative recipes (such as one of my faves - La Prosciutto made with strips of prosciutto ham and roquette lettuce added on after the dough has already been baked), and there are also other Italian dishes available for those who aren't into pizza.

The pizzas aren't huge, so one person can definitely eat a whole one. Though if you're in a group, it's fun for everyone to order something different and share. The pizzas and other dishes generally range in prices from $10-$20, but add wine and dessert and it will usually be $20-$30 per person.

In summer, they open the big windows so that even though you're inside the restaurant, it feels like eating on a terrace. It's a lovely place for a date, birthday, or even if you're just going out with friends and want something classier than a regular old pizza joint.

Favorite Dish: La Prosciutto - pizza with prosciutto, roquette, and parmesan cheese.

L'Italienne - pizza with pieces of Italian sausage.

• Wine Tasting

• alza's Profile Photo

Luca e Franco: Eclectic Osteria!

by alza Updated Oct 17, 2013

Main photo : Façade of Osteria Luca e Franco on rue Saint-Denis

Photo 2 : Fried calamari and very good dipping sauce

I had tapas there recently, very good.
    The place has a great bistro atmosphere, it's bustling yet service is quick, attentive and pleasant.
    They have antipasti (appetizers) that go beyond the traditional a bit, including offerings from the "mozzarella bar". Soup, pizza, choice of 2 fish dish, and then much more choice on the meat side of things.
    Desserts when I was there were all too sweet for my taste (tho' to be fair, I didn't want dessert in the first place.)

Great location on Saint-Denis Street, near Métro Sherbrooke.

Luca e Franco, Montr��al Calamari & tasty dip

Holiday Inn Select Montreal Centre Ville
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews
Hotel Intercontinental Montreal
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 7 Reviews
CLOSED Holiday Inn - Montreal (Midtown)
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews
Terrible (1.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Hotel Le Prestige
Poor (1.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Instant Answers: Montreal

Comments

Montreal Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Montreal locals.
Map of Montreal