Places to eat in Montreal

Most Viewed Restaurants in Montreal

• brazwhazz's Profile Photo

3 Amigos: Good food, reasonable price

by brazwhazz Updated Dec 2, 2011

3 Amigos is consistently rated among Montreal's best Mexican (actually Tex-Mex) restaurants, and deservedly so. The atmosphere is great and I keep returning for more of the excellent salsa and daiquiris.The place is decorated with the typical Mexican paraphernalia as well as large wall paintings of celebrities in Far West clothes and settings.

Make sure to get there early, especially on Saturday nights: the place tends to get full rather quickly, but in spite of this, waiting time is rarely more than 15 minutes. In the summertime, extra tables are set outside.

The restaurant is so popular it has expanded to two new locations: one in the party-heavy part of Saint-Denis Street, in the Latin Quarter; the other in Brossard, a bland suburb on the South Shore. Quite a contrast.

Favorite Dish: Anything with 3 Amigo's typical rice is good, but the San Antonio Pollo consistently comes up among my friends' favourite dishes. A nice touch is the complementary plate of nachos with salsa.

• brazwhazz's Profile Photo

Tourtière Australienne: Meat pies from down under

by brazwhazz Written Dec 2, 2011

Tourtière Australienne has become one of my favourite eating spots in town. The brainchild of New Zealander pastry chef Don Hudson, it specializes in (meat) pies of all kinds.

The pies are an excellent bang for your buck, being in the price range of a McDonald's Big Mac, only with much higher quality ingredients, reportedly from Montréal's famous Jean-Talon Market. It is probably the most satisfying meal in the vicinity of Mount Royal Park if you have just come back down from climbing the mountain.

The place is closer to an eating counter than an actual restaurant, but if you are fortunate enough to have access to an oven, you can buy your pies frozen and warm them up at home.

Whenever I pass by, I usually buy a couple of family size meat pies for my family and take them home with me. I have tried several flavours and have never been disappointed yet!

Favorite Dish: Potato top is an interesting twist on the Quebec-style shepherd's pie (arguably our most famous local dish after poutine). If I had to recommend just one meat pie, that would be the one!

• Mountain Climbing

• DAO's Profile Photo

ROTISSERIE ROMADOS: PORTUGUESE DELIGHT

by DAO Updated Sep 27, 2011

Get in there! This place looks a bit basic, but they serve up some real taste treats. The cook their chickens to absolute mouth-watering, moist, delicious perfection. I had half a frango (chicken) with a bit spicy sauce, salad and fries. Amazing. Simple, yet fantastic. They also serve cold (non-alcoholic) drinks and have a fresh bakery inside as well. I had mine to takeaway in a large polystyrene box and went outside to enjoy my food and my day. You get a lot for a little. So get in there!

Favorite Dish:
    Half a frango meal and a diet soda.

• Study Abroad
    • Business Travel

• Maymuna's Profile Photo

Dev Restaurant: Best Indian Restaurant... EVER!

by Maymuna Written Sep 23, 2011

I loooooove this place!!!

It's not downtown, so as a tourist you won't just walk past there, but I lived on Victoria Ave. for a few months and sometimes I would go to Dev's three times a week. There's a laundromat across the street, so sometimes I would just eat at Dev's while waiting for my laundry to finish.

I always got the same thing, so when I walked in they would already start yelling my order in the direction of the kitchen. ;)

You have to get the pakoras and the mango lassi, DELICIOUS! The shahi paneer is amazing. I used to go here with my Punjabi ex-bf all the time. This is not watered down Indian food catering towards white people, this is authentic, cheap, and the servings are huge.

One thing though: I haven't been to Montreal in years, so it's possible that this place isn't as good as it used to be. In which case it would break my heart.

Al-Taib: Pizza, Falafel, Salads

by Maymuna Written Sep 23, 2011

This place is amazing! And cheap. Which is why all the Concordia students go here. The meat is halal, and there are several vegetarian options. The spinach pizza is amazing.

It's not a fancy restaurant, rather a fast food type of place, but if you're hungry and you want good, cheap food, this is the place to go.

Amelio's: Perfect Pizza

by Maymuna Written Sep 23, 2011

Amelio's is a cute little restaurant in the McGill Ghetto (meaning the area around McGill University where a lot of students live). It's always packed, so you might have to wait outside for a while to get a table, but trust me, their pizza is worth waiting for. It's relatively expensive for pizza, but again.. it's worth it.

I'm not normally a fan of four-cheese (in this case it's five!) pizzas, because well.. it's just too much cheese for me, but their five-cheese pizza is the best pizza I've ever tasted (and my dad's a chef, might I add).

• Marisola's Profile Photo

Bombay Mahal, Montreal: Bombay in Montreal?!?

by Marisola Written Aug 21, 2011

Bombay Indian is a family-owned restaurant with authentic Indian food: nan breads, curry dishes, vegetarian dishes, lamb tikka, tandori chicken, etc. A popular specialty here is called dosas, a big crepe filled with potatoes and vegetables with sambar stew sauce. For dessert, a mango lassi is similar to a milkshake made with mangos and yogurt. It's very reasonably priced, and you can also bring your own wine here!

Favorite Dish: In Indian restaurants, it is always best to get a combination of things, so that you can taste all of the wonderful flavours and spices. I love them all!

• Marisola's Profile Photo

Chez Alexandre: Paris in Montreal!!!

by Marisola Written May 29, 2011

Authentic French Bistro -- This bistro looks like it stepped right out of Paris!!! With its romantic, French atmosphere, late-night hours (open until 2am), French decor and authentic French menu, you will feel right at home... It's Paris in Montreal!!!

Favorite Dish: All of the typical French favourites are here, including French onion soup, escargots, mussels, foie gras, cheese, and of course, steak-frites.

I was here for a late-night snack and had an authenic French ham and cheese sandwich or "Croque Monsieur" with an authentic Perrier French sparkling mineral water. Vive la France!!!

• Marisola's Profile Photo

Une Crêpe?: Choose your own crêpe at Une Crêpe!

by Marisola Updated May 8, 2011

From all of their ingredients here, you can choose your own personal crêpe at Une crêpe. From the batter types to the fillings, from the sweet to the savoury.

They also have a menu of their own crêpe specialties. A Mediterranean crêpe includes sundried tomatoes, pesto, parmesan and goat cheese. A Paysanne crêpe includes chicken, mushrooms and béchamel sauce. Sweet crêpes include a variety of different fruits, nuts, and of course, chocolate!

Favorite Dish: My favourite sweet crêpe is chocolate, orange and Grand Marnier. Mmmmmm!

Bonaparte: French Cuisine

by GracesTrips Updated Apr 23, 2011

This was one of the best dining experiences I have ever had! The ambience is amazingly quaint and upscale. Located very close to the Notre-Dame Basilica in the district of Old Montréal with it's coblestone streets. I started my meal with a green vegetable soup. It was unlike what I expected. A lentil and split pea puree just slightly seasoned, hardly any salt. This allowed the flavors of the beans to come through and it was delicious. I ordered the duck leg confit which was accompanied by a variety of vegetables and a delicious sauce. My daughter had the lobster stew. It wasn't really stew at all. About 1/2 a steamed lobster with a bit of pasta in a buttery vanilla sauce. The vanilla sauce complimented the lobster very well. The price of this dish (for being lobster) was quite reasonable. We ended our meal with the creme brulee and it was absolutely creamy!. We ordered a bottle of wine, two soups, three entrees and two deserts, the meal was just slightly over $200 Canadian. It was well worth it! The restaurant also offers a tasting menu which may be slightly less than we had paid per person.

• Luxury Travel

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Laloux: Oo la la, Laloux! French Cuisine!

by GracesTrips Updated Apr 23, 2011

This restaurant was a recommendation from the concierge at our hotel. What a pleasant surprise it was! Not in the downtown area but sort of off the beaten path closer to a residential area. Small, quaint and classy. I started my meal with the soup du jour which was presented to me with a bowl to have white beans and minced carrots. A hot creamy soup concoction was pour into the bowl of vegetables and it was crunchy, creamy and buttery. Just amazing! My boyfriend start his dinner with the beef tartar which was different and delish! For my entree, I had the halibut and my boyfriend and daughter ordered the flank steak and french fries. The halibut dish came with Blue Mountain mushrooms. Only a few were on my plate. They had the best flavor ever! We enjoyed a superb meal and conversation. I would highly recommend this place to dine at!

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Seven: Italian Cuisine in a Happening Spot!

by GracesTrips Updated Apr 4, 2011

My boyfriend has this thing about not planning every single detail when we are on travel. So, I only made reservations at two restaurants and we played it by ear for the other evenings. This was one of them and we actually enjoyed the food and ambience. Seven is located on the ever popular Rue Crescent and on this particular Monday night, there was a lot of people out and about. I think because of the warm day and still quite warm in the evening, people said hey lets not stay home. Who knows but it made it much more fun to see all the people.

This is actually called Club Seven and turns into a nightclub in the latter evening hours.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Le Taj: Saturday Dinner Downtown

by johngayton Updated Apr 4, 2011

We came across this place totally accidentally whilst on the search for somewhere close to our hotel for a light late-ish dinner, preferably something Oriental, ideally Thai but not sushi. Criss-crossing the downtown side streets between Sherbrooke and St Catherines yielded several possibilities which upon closer inspection turned out to be totally devoid of customers - never a good sign on a Saturday night! Continuing our eastwards in-and-out of the side streets pattern we noticed the sign for this place as we passed Stanley on Sherbrooke. We originally mistook the sign for Le Tai (thinking perhaps they'd come over all Cockney and dropped the "H" - "You know what I mean 'arry?") but ach, Indian is almost Oriental, Taj is almost Thai and it was getting on for about 9.30.

First impressions were all good: no flock wallpaper here, some very interesting wall decorations; kitchen in the corner glass-walled showing the tandoori guys doing their bits; unobtrusive live music provided by a guru-looking guy subtly keeping rythym on his drums along with his CD player.

At 9.30 the restaurant was almost full and we gratefully took our little table in the corner by the entrance, ordered a couple of beers (Cheetah - unfortunately brewed in Canada :() and sat and perused the menu. As we did so the restaurant began, surprisingly, to empty, well I had been surprised to find it so busy in the first place.

This is pretty much the opposite from our UK Indian restaurants. Back home they never get busy until after the pubs shut ( before we liberalised our licensing laws the restaurants were the only places open which could still serve alcohol after 11pm and even though times have changed old habits die hard and the Ruby* tradition continues).

Unfortunately this is where the place let itself down. We had arrived about 9.30 when the place was busy and by 10 we were feeling as if we were imposing on their space as it became virtually empty. Service became totally off-hand as the guys started setting up for the following day's lunch. The musician packed his drums and CD player, had a rushed bite to eat and off he went. Ach, well speaking for ourselves: some of us had had a hard afternoon shopping whilst others just trawled the bars, but either way an early night wasn't totally unwelcome ;p

* "Ruby" - Glasgow rhyming slang: "Ruby Murray" = "Curry"

Favorite Dish: The menu here is a comprehensive list of the standard Indian restaurant fare with all the usual culprits such as vindaloo, korma, massala and etc but with a few odds and bobs thrown in. Vegetarian selection is particularly good.

We decided on sharing a vegetarian starter plate with a plain naan bread and the selection of dips which was OK, bit dissappointed with the single tiny onion bhaji on the starter, whilst the samosa and potato were good. My Chicken Jalfrezei was meaty and tasty, Marina's Bhuna lamb was perfectly tender with a good gentle spicing but did need a little help from the condiment tray to moisten it. Rice was good, beer was cold and so food-wise just a minor niggle about the bhaji!

• Beer Tasting

• madmary71's Profile Photo

Magnan: Great Steaks!

by madmary71 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Magnan is one of the oldest restaurant still around in Montreal. What's so special about it is if you just care to eat a great tasting steak forget about "fancy" locations then this is the place to be. I was surprised during my first visit 'coz it's just around my neighborhood to experience such great tasting steak and the food portions are big! You don't need to go to the old port and pay expensive steak. Shame on me for not knowing this place before, now I'm an avid customer and will always come back to this place. Ambiance is also great for you can feel that the place is always buzzing with people dining with family (locals) and friends (yuppies). LOL.
    Service is amazing - you get your local French waiter who is always super friendly and not arrogant. I don't think it's luck that we get a friendly waiter/ waitress I think the place knows who they employ.

Favorite Dish: Magnan Roast Beef (12 oz!) - I can't describe it but is it acceptable to say, it melts in your mouth?
    Also, try their Clam chowder - this soup can satisfy you and might fill you up already!

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Marche Jean Talon: Markets of Montreal

by Tom_In_Madison Updated Apr 4, 2011

I stayed one block from here, so cut thru here on my way to the Metro station a couple times a day. Along with Atwater Marche, these are the two biggest. There are about 50 vendors, a building with about 20 more, and it’s backed up to rue Jean Talon with about 6 more vendors. You can find pretty much anything you need here.

You can get plants of all kinds, fruit, flowers, coffee & vegetables. Some slice up an orange or pineapple and put them on plates to sample. There’s a fromagerie, butchers, a place to buy crepes-but unfortunately it was only open on weekends when I was here. A sandwich shop, a few bakeries with chocolate and more chocolate. A health food store or two border this too. Boulangerie Première Moisson is the building right on the same block, for some delicious bakery. Most of them seem to open around 8am, and close around 6 or 7pm. Some are later of course. Most of it’s covered so rain won’t be a problem. There are a couple restaurants on Jean-Talon that look out at this spectacle, and a sushi place on the other side.

Marche Atwater is NOT at Atwater Metro stop. It’s at Metro stop Lionel-Groulx. This one seems a little more upscale, with more cheese shops and wine stores….and more samples!

Marche Maisonneuve and Marche Lachine markets are also around town, but I didn’t make it to those.

Favorite Dish: crepes and bakery...

Montreal Hotels

Place d'Armes Hotel
Days Inn Montreal Downtown
Du Fort Hotel

Instant Answers: Montreal

Comments

Montreal Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Montreal locals.
Map of Montreal