Places to eat in Montreal

Most Viewed Restaurants in Montreal

• rsilva's Profile Photo

Alouette Steak House: Great steak, that's it.

by rsilva Written Mar 6, 2005

We were walking down the Rue Ste. Catherine, in the middle of a snowstorm and decided to just enter any restaurant that seemed decent. We had asked a few people on the street, but they were all from "out of town" and could not help us.

This place seemed OK, if a bit empty, but we thought the bad weather could be the cause for it. It was quite big (it even had a second floor), but as I mentioned was quite empty.

We decided to try the steak, after all it was a steak house and meat is usually a very safe bet in Canada when you don't know what to have.
    There was a charcoal grill where all the meat was prepared and, let me tell you, it was very good.
    We chose the top-quality filet and were not dissapointed.
    However, that was the only good thing. The fries and the sallad were awful and the drinks (I think it was cola) were the usual awful "free refill" kind you find in North America.

Service was not great either, but since the meat was so good, I would eat there again. Nevertheless, I would try something else first.

Favorite Dish: The charcoal-grilled steak.

Une Crepe?: Plateau-crepes

by Dabs Updated Jul 14, 2006

Even though I could barely walk after eating a huge bowl of moules frites at Bieres et Compagnie, I smelled the crepes and saw the jar of nutella and thought heck, I'll give crepes one more shot even after two disappointing experiences in Quebec City. Just when I thought the folks in Quebec couldn't make a proper crepe, a place selling them from a window turned out to be the best!

They also had seating inside and there's another location listed at 221 St Viateur Ouest in the Mile End, corner of Jeanne Mance

Favorite Dish: I opted for my favorite crepe combination, banana and nutella. The crepe was perfect, not dry like the ones in Quebec City, and was properly filled with a spread of nutella and a healthy portion of banana. Fold that into one of those paper cones, walk down the street with nutella dripping down your chin, the quintessential crepe eating experience.

They also had a list of savoury crepes, I would have gone back for some of those if I had more time in Montreal.

La Banquise: Poutine

by Dabs Updated Mar 11, 2007

Poutine is something you just have to try if you visit Quebec, but first you need to put your diet on hold and turn off the calorie counter in your head, I really don't want to know!

I had never heard of it before starting to research this trip. I can just imagine the guy who dreamed this stuff up, sitting huddled next to a fire listening to the cold, cold Montreal wind whipping around in the winter and saying I need an extra layer of fat to keep me warm so I'm going to take some french fries and smother them in gravy. Wait, that's not enough insulation, let's add some cheese curds!

There's a whole poutine website devoted to this Quebec treat and La Banquise was one of the places that earned their top rating so we decided to have our only Montreal poutine experience here just hours before leaving to go back to Chicago.

Favorite Dish: I tried the Poutine Dulton which I had tried in Quebec City, in addition to the normal poutine ingredients of french fries, gravy and cheese curds, they add in ground meat and unlike the one in Quebec City, they also added onions here. David tried the Poutine Dan Dan, bacon, pepperoni and onions. I thought we had accidentally ordered the grande size but turns out the regular is a heaping portion. I didn't see anyone order the grande.

Monsieur Falafel: Mont Royal/Cote des Neiges-Middle Eastern

by Dabs Updated Jul 14, 2006

We were heading back to our car parked at Parc du Mont-Royal after visiting the St. Joseph Oratory, there's a stretch of restaurants along Cote-des-Neiges at rue Queen Mary that include Monsieur Falafal and Pizzedelic. We stopped in Monsieur Falafel before heading to Pizzedelic and decided to go easy at lunch so we could stop in here afterwards and try some of the yummy looking Middle Eastern/Lebanese food.

This is a casual spot to eat, order at the counter, there are pictures of the food to help you out or you can see some of the already prepared items that just need to be heated.

There are several locations in Montreal, check the website below for the other ones.

Favorite Dish: I think this may be one of the best, if not the best, chicken shawarma sandwiches I've ever had. And believe me, I've eaten A LOT! Shawarma are sort of like doner kebabs or gyros, you start with pita bread, meat slow cooked on a spit, vegetables like cucumbers, onions, lettuce and tomatoes and a sauce, usually garlic or chili. This one had plenty of moist chicken, no crunchy bits of chicken you have to eat around and a terrific garlic sauce. Yum!

• Marie-Claude's Profile Photo

Yoy cafe and sushi bar -ex La Merveille du Vietnam: Don't miss the sushi and vietnamese plates

by Marie-Claude Written Apr 29, 2004

This is the ex Merveille du Vietnam restaurant. they changed vocation. They are now a cafe, deserts, sushi bar, vietnamese plates to eat there or to go. There is a lot of choices for the vietnamese choices, you choose those in the counter and they heat it for you. the sushi are fresh and good, they make them just for you, you can take out too. the coffee is good and so are the cakes and muffins.
    The ambiance is good, they have wooden tables and benches.

Favorite Dish: We took for 2, 26 sushis for 22$ without taxes. there where really good and fresh. There was 6 or 7 differents types in our plate.

• Study Abroad

Bieres et Compagnie: Quartier Latin-Belgian

by Dabs Updated Aug 22, 2006

Moules Frites was also on my list of must tries in Montreal, I had planned on eating at L'Actuel but $24CAD for a bowl of mussels???? Plus it was lunchtime, we were in shorts and it looked like it was filled with business people dressed a lot nicer. So we passed on that and found Bieres et Compagnie when we were wandering around the area at Mont-Royal and St. Denis.

It was around 6 pm and it was crowded but we were able to get seated right away, the service was quick and pleasant.

Favorite Dish: They have 30 different varieties mussels starting at 12CAD, I tried the mussels Roman, in a white wine cream sauce, with garlic, bacon, onions, shallots and croutons. The croutons didn't add anything to the dish, it could have used a little more shallots and bacon but they were still pretty good. They come with a side of fries (frites) with your choice of dipping sauce, I went for the spicy garlic, David went for the dijonnaise, both were yummy. The night we were there they had an all you can eat mussel special, I think they have it Monday-Wednesday but honestly I didn't even make it through the first pot!

There's an extensive beer menu, of course, we opted for a pint of cider which was perfect with the dish.

La Citronelle: One of the best vietnamese

by Marie-Claude Written Apr 22, 2004

ON the lunch time it is mostly crowded by local employees. It is a bit noisy even on the evening. THe service is fast and ok. No "chic" no fizz, but simple.

Favorite Dish: THere is a lot of plates that are really good, the springrolls are delicious, the soups also, the plate with Chiken at citronnelle with rice and veggies is really good too. Try the plate with chiken or beef, the fried noodles are tasty too.
    Feel free, everything I tasted there was good.
    For desert, don't miss the bananas fried or the pineapples fried miam!

• Marie-Claude's Profile Photo

Le Cavalier afghan CLOSED!: Don't miss the lamb and the vegetarian plates!

by Marie-Claude Updated Jun 13, 2006

The ambiance is very nice, there is a sitarist playing on saturday nights, the food is excellent, tender, tasty wow!
    you can bring your bottle of wine, much more cheeper then, there is a shop selling some just in front.
    the decoration is nice too

Favorite Dish: The Lamb is tender and tasty as i never eat! wonderfull!
    Take ( i don't remember the name) it is a plate with veggies inside a dough cooked in steam it is very very good!

Kura Sushi Bar CLOSED Thai restaurant instead!: The best sushi i ate

by Marie-Claude Updated Mar 20, 2005

Small restaurant, very tidy. Same waitress very nice, the service is good, so is the food!

CLOSED FOR GOOD :( BUT EXQUISIT THAI RESTSAURANT INSTEAD!

Favorite Dish: We took once a big menu for 53$can without taxes and service, it was about 8 services, sushis included! wow so delicious

Last time we took some sushi and a salmon teriaky, the salmon was perfectly cooked!
    it melts on your tongue. miam!

Frites Alors: Belgian-Canadian fries

by Marie-Claude Written Apr 14, 2004

It is supposed to be a belgian restaurant, it is a fast food with service at the tables. They have some plates that are typical belgian, but it is not really the same as in belgium... the fries are a little dry... and it costs 3 times the price of belgium equivalent. First time i went i love it, then i went in belgium and last time i was deceived...

Favorite Dish: Fries with mayonnaise sauce, the only place that offers it in Montreal they have belgian beers

• Marie-Claude's Profile Photo

Mazurka: The best Polish restaurant in town.

by Marie-Claude Updated Oct 4, 2004

It is a family ambience restaurant. It is very good and cheap. They have the same menu since a long long time, but it is good.

Favorite Dish: Depending on the day, you can eat beet soup that is just wonderful! try the potatoe pancake, delcious. They serve fresh rye bread that I like a lot.

• Study Abroad

3 Amigos: THE MEXICAN in town

by Marie-Claude Written Jun 18, 2004

This is a very nice restaurant to go out either with friends or the kids. The ambience is like a party. You have large drinks of Daiquiri(lemon, strawberry, etc.) these are really good and refreshing, they cost aroud 4-5$can. (they sell some without alcohol)
    The plates are big and very tasty.
    I recommend that you take one apetizer for more than 2 people and than take one main meal each.. and it won't be easy to finish it all.. (unless you have a big appetite)

Favorite Dish: The tortillas are great. It comes with 5-6 tortillas, different salsas and some chiken or whatever you want with cooked veggies.. miam you make yourself the tortillas :D
    the chimichangas are good too.
    Everything I tried there is delicious. Follow your appetite and you won't be deceived!

Pizzadelic: Mont Royal-Unusual pizza toppings

by Dabs Updated Jul 14, 2006

It's well after lunchtime, we've tramped all over Mont Royal and to St. Joseph Oratory (wish I had seen the escalator before I got to the top!!!) and I haven't had any breakfast so when I spotted this little stretch of restaurants along Cote-des-Neiges and recognized one of the names from a guidebook, I decided that this was where we would eat. And I could get the pizza that I knew we would have to get out of the way!

Favorite Dish: We decided to split one of the "large" pizzas, on most days I could have easily finished off one of the large pizzas on my own but we had decided that we were also going to get something at Monsieur Falafel next door and decided to eat lighter here.

The pizza was good but not good enough that I would recommend using up one of your meals here, so many other good options in Montreal. But if you have fussy eaters or kids, this might be a good option.

Fonduementale: Quartier Latin-fondue

by Dabs Updated Aug 22, 2006

Fondue is one of my favorite foods so I wanted to make sure I tried it in Montreal. Fonduementale came recommended in the Access Guide to Montreal so we headed up St. Denis from our hotel and stopped here for dinner on our first night in Montreal.

The restaurant is located in one of the rowhouses that line St. Denis in the Quartier Latin, since it was a Monday night and already late, there was only one other table of people, a couple of adults and several children who I could hear exclaiming just how much they loved the food at this place. The interior walls are painted bright colors but the lighting is dim and I could see this being a place for a nice romantic dinner. Unlike the popular fondue restaurant in Chicago, it didn't have that greasy smell that you sometimes get with the meat/seafood fondues.

Favorite Dish: The menu had several meal combinations with pretty names like L'Adventure and the Romantic and the not so pretty Mental for 2 or more people, priced per person, which include cheese fondue, meat or chicken or seafood, and a dessert fondue. Prices per person range from $31-$45 CAD.

I really like cheese fondue and although the meat options are usually good and come with good dipping sauces, we usually just order the cheese. They had several ala carte cheese options, we opted for the traditional, a mix of emmenthal and gruyere cheeses, white wine and garlic with croutons to dip in the cheese. It was very good and very filling. But I just had to try the dessert so we shared (OK, I confess, I ate almost all of it!) a chocolate fondue that came with fruit to dip. Tres bien!

Sorry to say I was tired of lugging around my camera so I have no photos of the food.

• nicolettart's Profile Photo

Fonduementale: Fun Fondue!

by nicolettart Updated Jan 14, 2004

When you step inside you will feel like you're in someone's house~~it is a house, actually! Hang up your coat and enter into a dark dining room~~ultra hip~~dark atmosphere with red painted walls and old chandeliers and molding. It's so cool!

Favorite Dish: My husband and I ordered fondue for two~`we had cheese fondue appetizer with pink peppercorns~so good! Then the entree was fish, beef, and chicken pieces with a variety of sauces. Finally the dessert was a chocolate fondue with a selection of fruit.
    Do not miss this place!

Latest: Aug 10, 2012
Alexandrie
Latest: Apr 11, 2014

Instant Answers: Montreal

Comments

Montreal Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Montreal locals.
Map of Montreal