Stores, Malls or Markets in Montreal

• So compellingly awful I bought not one, but two!
    So compellingly awful I bought not one,...
    by CatherineReichardt
  • Wooden puffin-almost as gorgeous as the real ones!
    Wooden puffin-almost as gorgeous as the...
    by CatherineReichardt
    inside store
    by Girl18

Most Viewed Shopping in Montreal

Westcott Books: Second-hand books in the Plateau

by fairy_dust Written Jan 2, 2014

This is a second-hand bookstore on St. Laurent in the Plateau. It has existed for decades, but not always at this location. The owner is Terry Westcott, and there are 2 cats living in the store too (they belong to the owner) - Eliot (a big fat white cat with a brown tabby face and tail, and a few patches on the rest of his body) and Emma (a small, fluffy brown tabby). Though Eliot often has an attitude problem and doesn't like to be picked up, Emma generally likes to be petted.

Though the shop is small, there are books of all kinds there, split into categories. The books are generally in good condition too. Also, in summer, there is usually a small box/shelf of books outside by the door that people can browse before going in.

What to buy: Books, of course!

What to pay: $5-$15 per book, depending on its size.

• Vive la Difference: Trendy Mont Royal Ave

by JenniferinMtl Written Aug 21, 2011

This place is a great shop just at the beginning of this really popular shopping and eating street, Mont Royal Avenue!

It's actually a nonprofit gift shop where you can find unique, handmade things (jewellery, accessories, handbags, etc) from all over the world, as well as from Montreal, which makes it a great place for souvenirs. I bought a trendy bag by a Montreal designer, a ceramic mug made in Quebec, and a few other interesting things made by local artisans. Alot of the imported stuff is fair trade.

Also, I like the fact that profits go to a foundation which helps women in Africa, too.

What to buy: I like to buy unique things that are handmade by local designers, artisans, etc. I found nice pottery, glassware and jewellery. I like the mitts and gloves, too, very trendy and warm. Clothes are also a great idea, since there are some interesting local eco-designers. There are some great handmade carpets from Mexico too, not expensive.

What to pay: $20-$50, depending on what you're looking for. The carpets were around $120.

Inside the shop

• etrehumain's Profile Photo

La Plaza St-Hubert: Sunshine or rain

by etrehumain Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Plaza St-Hubert is a unique concept: a street with a roof where you can shop under good or bad weather. Four blocks of boutiques, on the Plaza there is everything you need, from shoes stores to wedding dresses, books to action figures.

What to buy: Anything except a car.

What to pay: The shops on the Plaza are very affordable.

The unique roof St-Hubert street Candies !!! At Oscar boutique A very nice book store, Raffin Enter say
    • Work Abroad

• Gwenvar's Profile Photo

L.L.Lozeau: In dire need of photographic equipment

by Gwenvar Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is "The" Photo equipment shop of Montreal.
    You can get almost anything you need at really competitive prices. Their 150 photographic specialists can help you with whatever question or problem that you could have, may you be a professional or a budding photographer. And the store is big enough to contain a wide variety of products.

If you are driving look at this map
    for directions.

What to buy: They offer any services and sell everything (or almost) regarding photography.

What to pay: Very good prices for a wide range of equipment and services. They even have many promotions to offer their clients.

L.L.Lozeau On St-Hubert street

• Stellaluna's Profile Photo

Carrefour Laval: Nearby Shopping Mall

by Stellaluna Updated Apr 4, 2011

Carrefour Laval is the largest shopping centre in Québec. It offers a "street-like" shopping atmosphere and features a spectacular garden that changes with the seasons. Some 300 stores including La Baie, Sears, Rona l'Entrepôt, Les Ailes de la Mode, La Maison Simons and Zara.

• nicolettart's Profile Photo

Bonsecours Market: Not a Market, It's a Mall

by nicolettart Updated Apr 4, 2011

A variety of stores, but it's not a market atmosphere. I was looking for a market!!!
    This is more of an indoor mall. If you're in old town, you may want to stop, but not a must-do activity.

What to pay: Kind of expensive, too.

• Interlink Wireless: Rent Wireless??

by Boogs26 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I had gone to Jamaica for 2 weeks, and my dad to Los Angels, we were trying to find a place to rent a cell that would work in Jamaica. Finally we find a place in Montreal. Interlink Wireless we call up the place, and ended up finding what else they had to rent. I ended up renting a nice cell phone and a digital camera. My dad rented a pocket Pc with wireless internet. He was walking, driving in L.A, with wireless internet in the palm of his hands. the "Business Man". Everything worked great, they even developed my digital pictures for me.

Rent Wireless when you need it.

Thanks Guys at Interlink.
    I

What to buy: Depending what or where your doing or going.

What to pay: Cell phone 1week rental 29.00
    Digital camera 99.00
    Pocket Pc 189.00

• Business Travel
    • Cruise

• Marisola's Profile Photo

Bleu Lavande: The Virtues of Lavender...

by Marisola Updated Jan 23, 2011

In the Bleu Lavande Boutique, they sell everything lavender: Lavender soaps, lavender lotions, lavender body wash, lavender bath salts, lavender lip balm, lavender shampoo, lavender candles, lavender linen water... all made from natural lavender.

They also have lavender for the kitchen: lavender seasonings, lavender tea, lavender honey, a lavender cookbook, lavender placemats, lavender towels, lavender candies and chocolates.

Discover the virtues of lavender at the Bleu Lavande Boutique. Made in Quebec!!!

What to buy: Anything from the Bleu Lavande Boutique would make a nice gift or souvenir. I have a small bath set from Bleu Lavande. It's wonderful!!! I love lavender!!!

What to pay: Depending upon what you buy, there is a wide range of prices. Gift sets range from under $20 to over $100.

Bleu Lavande Shop Bleu Lavande Shop
    • Women's Travel

• Delevanti: Amazing hidden Boutiques

by Girl18 Written Oct 18, 2010

I visited the usual places recommended for shopping , downtown, old montreal etc.. and superchic woman highly referred me to a store called Delevanti. I made the trip out and boy was it worth the it. Delevanti has the most amazing and original selection of European clothing from Italy and France. I ended getting my fall wardrobe in one store. The lady who served me was such a professional. She did not waste my time putting things on me that did not fit or suit my body type. Most of the stuff she carries is not your run of the mill designer clothes. I picked up an amazing wool camel coat, sexy long boots from Italy, a couple of dresses and several original sweaters. If my budget would have allowed I probably would have bought more.
    In the same shopping center they have a sister store called Global Gurl, which also carries European clothing but at more moderate price point with a beautiful selection of shoes and boots. They pretty much had all the magazine worthy trends all in one store. I picked up some greta pants and more sweaters.

What to buy: Delevanti has wonderful sweaters,tops, dresses and coats.

If you are coming from abroad there are definite some local designers worth checking out such a Marie St. Pirre, Phillipe Gagnon, Tavan and Mitto.
    Maple Syrup!
    Try the beaver tails, and Poutine
    Fur coat if your budget permits in the fur district

What to pay: Prices ranged from $100-$895.00 Canadian

inside store shop window Delevanti DELEVANTI GLOBAL GURL
    • Singles
    • Women's Travel

• Bubbles Boutique: Bubble burst in Montreal

by advogaga Written May 18, 2009

This shop appears high end and has some beautiful clothing. However, if you are dissatisfied you need to know that their custmer service after sales is non existent. I purchased a beautiful shirt for $120 but it was defective. I assumed I could return for exchange at least but it turned out the staff had no authority to do anything, literally shrugging at me. I was able I speak to the owner by phone but he was incredibly rude and essentially told me it was my problem. I did pay full price for this shirt so it was not a sale return. It was unfortunate and totally unexpected given the appearance of the store and its location.

What to pay: $120 per item

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Les Chocolats de Chloé: Chocolate!

by GracesTrips Updated May 6, 2009

With a little effort I finally found the store. They are no longer at the 375 Rue Roy Est address. They are about 2 block further north on Rue Duluth Est. A cute little shop with just one person running it (that I saw).

What to buy: Chocolate!

What to pay: Very expensive. Two boxes of twelve pieces (24 altogether) is Canadian$44.00. It's worth it!

• Women's fashion: Shopping on Jean-Talon East street

by mguerin Written Apr 27, 2009

What to buy: Jean-Talon Street East is a newly created shopping strip set in the heart of Saint-Leonard! A 1.6 km stretch set between Blvd Viau and De la Villanelle Street (Ouest of Blvd Langelier) representing 250 businesses and professionals offering specialty shops, fashion stores, restaurants with authentic exotic cuisine, professional services and all the other amenities you might need.

You may start off your day shopping in one of our unique boutiques before stopping to savour a delicious lunch at one of our many restaurants.

• Business Travel

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

Dix Mille Villages (Ten Thousand Villages): Fair Trade goods in the Plateau Mont-Royal

by fairy_dust Written Dec 27, 2008

Dix Mille Villages (or Ten Thousand Villages) is a fair-trade boutique that mostly sells crafts made in developing countries. All crafts are hand-made and the workers who make them (mostly women) are paid well and have good working conditions (many work from home so they can take care of their families at the same time instead of slaving away in sweat-shops and factories). There is also fair-trade coffee and food available to buy.

Ten Thousand Villages is mostly volunteer-based so most of the employees there are volunteers (myself included!).

What to buy: -Hand-painted dishes and pottery.
    -Jewelry.
    -Decorations made of stone, wood, etc.
    -Furniture items.
    -Toys and games.
    -blankets, tablecloths, pillow cases, and other cloth items.
    -Christmas ornaments.
    -Fair trade coffee, tea, and other food items (jam, chutney, sugar, dried fruit, etc).

What to pay: Some items can be pricey but remember that they're hand-made and not factory-produced. A 500 gram bag of coffee is usually about $12 and a jar of jam or chutney is about $8.

• Eco-Tourism

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

Place Versailles: Shop till you drop!

by fairy_dust Written Dec 27, 2008

Place Versailles is a shopping mall outside of downtown Montreal. There are so many stores that there is definitely something for everyone, but there are especially a lot of girly clothing stores like Suzy Shier, Sirens, and Smart Set. Also there are shoe stores (Aldo), a department store (Zellers), accessories stores (Ardene), kids clothing stores (I don't remember the names), even a pet store (Safari) and a Chinese boutique.

What to buy: Even during Boxing week it wasn't overcrowded, maybe because it's not downtown. Anyway, I took advantage of the Boxing week sales and bought things from Suzy Shier and Chado. I found a few things that the Suzy Shier in downtown Montreal had run out of when I was there the previous day.

• School Holidays

• fdrich29's Profile Photo

Dépanneur Peluso: My vote for Best Beer Manager

by fdrich29 Updated Aug 17, 2008

This was a another recommendation from a friend on Beeradvocate.com. A group of people from the website had just been in Montreal a week before I was there and made a stop here. I was told to find Tony and tell him the guys from Boston said hi. I found the store easy enough, although the name Peluso is very hard to see from the outside, only printed on a red banner on the front door. I walked to the back of the store and found a man pricing and stocking beer. "You must be Tony" I said. I explained how my friends had told me to stop by and he remembered them. What he said and did next surprised me, he said he did not take debit cards, so he would drive me to the bank down the street, as he had done for my friends. We chatted about beer, Montreal and Ken Dryden. When we got back he had to attend to business, but pointed out a few bottles of beer that were very fresh. The store is very clean and easy to navigate.

What to buy: Tony has a tremendous selection of beers from Quebec, I grabbed about ten bottles, plus a six pack of Peche Mortel.

What to pay: Many single bottles were only $1.99. I paid around $12 for the Peche Mortel, $9 for one bomber of Imperial Weizen (which turned out to be a phenomenal beer) and around $5 for an Imperial Stout. Very reasonable prices.

• Beer Tasting

Latest: Jun 6, 2014
Days Inn Montreal Metro Centre
Hotel Intercontinental Montreal
Latest: Jul 10, 2014
Holiday Inn - Montreal (Midtown)
Latest: Jun 11, 2014
Latest: Jul 13, 2014
SpringHill Suites Old Montreal
La Tour Belvedere

Instant Answers: Montreal

Comments

Montreal Shopping

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Montreal locals.
Map of Montreal