Mont-Royal, Montreal

autumn leaves - November 2012
    by yooperprof
  • Parc du Mont-Royal

by levoyageur Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Mont-Royal park, 125 years old, is the largest park of Montreal. During the winther, you can practice cros-country ski with a great view of Downtown. The park is a large forest in the top of Montreal with a lot of trail. Created by the famous landscape architect, Frederick Law Olmsted (the same architect than the Central Park in New York)

• brazwhazz's Profile Photo

A haven in the middle of the city

by brazwhazz Updated Mar 29, 2010

View of McGill campus and downtown

If downtown is the heart of Montreal, Mount Royal is the lungs of the city. A popular spot for joggers, picnicking families and nature lovers, Mount Royal Park has a wide array of paths that will take you to any of two belvederes (Kondiaronk, in front of the chalet, from where you can even see the fireworks competition in the summer; and Camilien-Houde, further to the east, from where you can see Olympic Stadium).

While the park has sometimes been described as a victim of its popularity, it has retained its relaxed atmosphere and makes a great change of pace from the bustling (and nearby) downtown district.

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Mont Royal

by Tom_Fields Written Oct 9, 2009

The chalet at the summit

This is where Montreal acquired its name. At 234 meters, Mount Royal is the highest point in the city; in fact, no building is allowed to be taller than this hill. The view from up here is great. And if you want to get some good exercise during your visit, then this is an excellent place to do it.

Laid out by famed landscape architect Frederick Law Olmstead (who designed Central Park in New York City and Cherokee Park in Louisville), it was officially designated a park in 1876. It was here that Huron Indian chief Kondiaronk signed a peace treaty with the French in 1701.
    There are miles of hiking and biking trails to explore, and a lot of interesting things to see.

• Architecture

• ScottHurl's Profile Photo

Fall Colours!!

by ScottHurl Written Jul 30, 2009

Go for a walk in Mount Royal (the mountain) in the heart of the city. It also overlooks the downtown area. In the Quebec City area I have heard good things over the years about Mont-Saint Ann. GOOD LUCK!!

• Photography

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Walk up to "The Cross" at Mont Royal Hill/Park

by jumpingnorman Written May 15, 2009

Wonderful Parque Mont-Royal, Canada

This was one amazing park in Montreal - the Mont Royal. We parked at the bottom of the hill and crossed the road to begin our trek. We had our strollers so we braved the park with our three-year olds.

There were several people walking, jogging and just enjoying the wonderful weather on that September morning. After a few minutes, we found ourselves in a beautiful viewing deck where we captured some of our best panoramic views of Montreal -- wonderful blue skies and billowy clouds!

We continued our walk further to the top where we heard there was across, but on arriving there, we saw that the cross was under renovation. But this did not stop us from taking pictures with it, even from afar...

Sometimes I read, there may be music festivals here and sometimes a lot of "drummers" - but we did not see any during that time...

Truly a wonderful park and a must to visit when in Montreal!

• Festivals

• DunaKal's Profile Photo

Reaching the top

by DunaKal Written Sep 21, 2008

My son @ the terrace of the Chateau

A get-away from the crowded city,I loved climbing the 200 or more steps to reach the top of Mount Royal & see the city from above.

Many bikers & joggers go there or people who just want some fresh air.
    Note: make sure you take a bottle of water with you).

• Adventure Travel
    • Travel with Pets

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

St Josephs, Mount Royale - Fine City View.

by Mikebb Written Jun 29, 2008

St Joseph Oratory, Mount Royal

On a wet afternoon our group went to Mount Royal to view St Josephs and the fine city view. Our city view was dampened by the misty rain and poor light but with a little imagination one could visualise how good the view would be on a fine and sunny day.

• Religious Travel

Chalet de Mont Royal

by tiabunna Updated Jan 10, 2008

Chalet de Mont Royal

Situated in the park, immediately above the city, you will find the substantial Chalet de Mont Royal, shown in the heading photo and photo 2. I’ve not been able to find much information about it, and it was closed during our visit. At first I thought it was intended as a kiosk, but I surmise it may be used as a reception centre. Certainly it is well maintained and someone obviously attends to the flags!

What is important, however, is the terraced area immediately in front of it, known as the Belvedere Kondiaronk and, from here, you gain excellent views over the city (photo 3 and my Montréal page intro photo). If you’ve developed a thirst on your walk this far, you’ll be glad to know that several drinking fountains are available (photo 4).

Not quite relevant to the Chateau, but I’ll include it here as I don’t feel it warrants a separate tip, can anyone tell me what are these curious gibbet devices (photo 5) we saw at quite a few places throughout the park? We surmised that they’re something to do with snow depth. Addendum. My very real thanks to my good VT mate Bwana_Brown for the advice that "...those strange-looking 'gibbet' contraptions are winter bird-feeders, equipped with a post-mounted barrier to try to keep Grey (and maybe the smaller Red) Squirrels from stealing all the goods!"

Maison Smith

by tiabunna Updated Jan 9, 2008

Maison Smith, on Mont Royal

Head back from your walk to a building known as Maison Smith. This building gains its name from its original owner in the mid-1800s, but now serves as the headquarters for the park management. Here you will find some very interesting displays, plus a kiosk for those needing refreshments (the coffee was good when we visited).

The display which really caught my imagination centred on this rock (photo 2) in the basement of the building (additional information for those not looking for rocks: it’s near the toilets). The sign in photo 3 tells you of the significance: only 20,000 years ago, this rock (and presumably the toilets) was covered by ice 2km thick! Yes, people, whether or not you believe in the greenhouse effect, this clearly shows that climate change is very real and climates can change dramatically over quite (geologically) short periods! A period of cooling climate (“The Little Ice Age”) was a large part of the reason for abandoning the Viking settlement in Canada, long before Columbus reached America.

You can catch the bus back to Mont Royal Métro station from just uphill of Maison Smith.

• Archeology
    • Museum Visits

Mont Royal Cross

by tiabunna Updated Jan 7, 2008

Steel cross on Mont Royal

Every so often in your travels, you find something which excites the locals, but leaves you completely unimpressed. This seems to be a standout illustration that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”! The guidebooks rank it as a major attraction but I’m afraid that, when I looked, all I saw was an assemblage of of rather inelegant left-over scaffolding with overtones of mobile phone tower. Apologies to any Montrealers or other enthusiasts I may offend with those thoughts.

The guidebooks tell me that it was erected in 1924 on the site of an original steel cross dating from 1643 by the city’s founder, and that it is 31M high. I also gather that it is lit at night, though I find myself wondering why one would wish to!

• Religious Travel

Learn about Mont Royal from the Plaques

by tiabunna Written Jan 7, 2008

Olmstead plaque among the shrubbery

I think it’s fitting that the photo heading this tip shows the plaque commemorating the work of Frederick Law Olmstead, responsible for development of the park on Mont Royal. You’ll see it in more detail in photo 2 or, even better, by visiting the park yourself! Montréal certainly owes Olmstead a debt of gratitude for his far-sighted vision, which broke with the traditions of the 1800s in having a natural park, rather than formal gardens.

As mentioned in the previous tip, the explorer Jacques Cartier was the first European to travel the St Lawrence River and, in 1535, to climb and name Mont Royal. He made three trips to Canada and is commemorated on the plaque shown in photos 3 and 4.

Relax in Mont Royal

by tiabunna Written Jan 6, 2008

Parc Mont Royal and Montr��al

The city of Montréal takes its name from Mont Royal, the hill behind the city which, in turn, was named by Jacques Cartier (we’ll get around to him shortly). Mont Royal is now public parkland and, without doubt, the jewel of the city – count a visit as a “must do”.

We went there by public transport (frequent) and had a very pleasant walk shared with many others, some walking, some jogging, and some cycling. It’s that kind of place. (photos 2,3) Along the way, we were excited to see yet another squirrel, a different type from the one we’d seen in Vienna (photo 3). As I mentioned in my “Intro” page, we were a little jaded after our arrival in Montréal – the visit to Mont Royal was the ‘breather’ we needed.

• King_Golo's Profile Photo

View from Mont Royal

by King_Golo Written Nov 14, 2007

View from Mont Royal

Mont Royal is the city's central mount and it also gave Montréal its name. Climbing the hill through the shady and rather dense forest demands some breath as the paths and later stairs are pretty steep, but you'll be rewarded with a great view on Downtown Montréal. A large plateau with some benches is on top, and after having regained your breath you can let your view wander over the skyscrapers below. In the distance, you can also see St. Lawrence River and the area around the old port. The view is very nice, and I'm sure that sunrise or sunset from up there are cool, too. I, however, went there at around noon.

• excentrus's Profile Photo

Mont Royal and TamTam

by excentrus Updated Aug 12, 2007

All sorts of 60's stuff...cheap and cheery

After eating in fabulous reataurants or partying all night you will need a good walk/hike to clean out the system. Do not miss walking around Mont Royal Park. it is so beautiful in all seasons...and is made for walking or cycling. It is very safe and you will get a fabulous view of the city once you reach the chalet (at top). In addition, if you happen to be here on a Sunday in spring, summer or fall, check out the TamTam at the monument on avenue du Parc, and get ready to let your hair down and dance. Wonderful rhythms of drums will draw you to a scene of peace and love (OK, I am an old hippie).
    Oh yeah, Rio de Janiero might have Christ the Redeemer, but we have the cross :-)

Instant Answers: Montreal