Language, Montreal

NOT Square, Carré!
    by zChris
  • Circulation

by levoyageur Written Jan 12, 2003

Be careful with some signalisation pannel:

Stop= Arret
    Bridge= Pont
    Highway/Expressway = Autoroute
    Downtown=Centre-Ville
    Exit = Sortie
    Street/Avenue= Rue/Avenue
    Blvd= Boul.

The speed limit is in KM/H, not MPH.
    ALSO, BE CAREFUL WITH NO PARKING IN MONTREAL, it's very confusing

• I've heard stories about the...

by Birbao Written Aug 25, 2002

I've heard stories about the French mistreating or ignoring the English-speakers. I've never had this problem. There's no reason to feel self-conscious towards speaking french. They appreciate the effort and, besides, it's fun!

• wahine76's Profile Photo

Francais SVP?

by wahine76 Written Jul 18, 2005

As you know, Quebec is a French-speaking province so most people speaks French. But people are usually bilingual, meaning they speak both French and English, downtown or just English in specific English neighbourdhoods. French is usually only spoken in neighbourdhood east of St-Laurent Blvd or North of Mont-Royal.

• Business Travel

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

Knowing French

by fairy_dust Updated Dec 15, 2013

Montreal is big and cosmopolitan, so it's generally easy to get around with only English. Though with the PQ government and OQLF (aka - language police), some hard-line separatists take advantage of the language laws and refuse to speak any language but French, even if they know English or another language. Many friends (and an ex-boyfriend) have told me that bus drivers have given them a hard time if they spoke to the driver in English, and some people will outright refuse to speak English and pretend not to know the language.

It's best to know a few words/phrases in French in case you encounter people who won't speak to you in any language but French. And if anything, even the locals who aren't hard-liners about language issues will appreciate that you are trying to speak their language.

• School Holidays
    • Study Abroad

• Beware of Arrogant french bus drivers

by oznztofro Written Jul 11, 2010

Ok i arrived in montreal at corval airport & im asking a bus driver where do i get the bus.

I have cerebal palsy, medication conditions, aniexty, I'm a retard , & basically I'm an idiot

SO im walking around the bus stop & the drive ris honking his horn & yelling at me. Im like shut up!!

So then i goto the bus terminal & i try to board the right bus to take me to a subway station & the guys just talks in french & i can't hear a dam word his translator is saying.

So i couldn't board the bus. I had to wait for the next one

If you can drive then hire a car instead

• Trains

• When I went there I made a...

by Aphrodite21 Written Aug 25, 2002

When I went there I made a point of speaking to everyone first in french. Because of all the tensions that exist between Quebec and the rest of Canada I've heard that people sometimes can get upset when they're spoken english to. I didn't encounter it on my trip but I tried my awful french anyway. It's really quite pathetic. I had 6 years of french and I don't think I learned anything.

Instant Answers: Montreal