Local food and drinks, Quebec

Maple Syrup Crepe
    Maple Syrup Pye
    French Bagette
  • jamiesno's Profile Photo

French Food and Drink # 10 - Local Beers!

Local Beer from Forteresse Unibroue

If you have been following my pages like Vancouver, Haines Alaska and other you will know I always try to highlight some of the local beers from the area.

Quebec is not different. Unibroue is a local craft brewer. They have several different kinds so you can look out for their brands if you want to try the local beers.

I enjoyed the Blanche de Chambly! This picture was taken at the Carnaval where you could try several of their their beers in small portions.

French Food and Drink # 9 - The Apple Cider

Enjoying some Minot Apple Cider

Here in this picture I am enjoying some locally produced Minot Apple Cider. I really enjoyed this as well. Much nicer that filling up on beer all the time, LOL :-)

La Cidrerie du Minot, a cidermill located in Quebec’s Southwestern Townships, cultivates its own apples on a 52-hectare orchard 60 kilometres south of Montreal.

With its gravelly soil and a unique microclimate nurtured by the St. Lawrence and Richelieu Rivers, Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks, this is an ideal location for making cider. The exceptional growing conditions are perfect for the variety of apples in the Minot orchards, namely the McIntosh, Cortland, Lobo, Melba, Duchesse, Empire, Geneva, Liberty, Trent and Golden Russet.

French Food and Drink # 8 - Maple Syrup Crepe

Maple Syrup Crepe

Here is a plain crepe covered in Maple Syrup from Au Petit Coin Breton. This crepe I remember was awesome.

It wasn't too sweet either, I really enjoyed it.

There was one thing I remember when I think of these great meals I tried.

Here at home we are used to getting big plates of deep fried food with no taste and you would never get through three courses or at least I can't anymore.

Here in Quebec it was easy and very enjoyable to try the delicious appetizers, the main course and then the dessert and not leave feeling like you were going to burst but just right!

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

French Food and Drink # 1 - The Poutine! :-)

by jamiesno Written Feb 4, 2005

French Poutine from Chez Ashton!

Here in the next series of tips is where I try to make you and I both very hungry with great shots of the food from Old Quebec and I promise to only show you the things kind of unique to Quebec. No MacDonald's in these pictures!!!

Here you have the famous French Poutine from Chez Ashton's.

Notice the big cheese curds! This is what makes the French Poutine so much better!

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

French Food and Drink # 7 - Main Course Crepes!

Crab and Shrimp Crepe with Rice

Crepes you are starting to see are very popular. Here is a crab and shrimp crepe from Au Petit Coin Breton with cheese melted over it and cooked in a cream souce.

This too was very very tasty.

You must be starting to get a feel for local french cousine now, I am giving you lots of ideas :-)

French Food and Drink # 6 - Fondued Cheese

Fondued Cheese, Yummy!

Here in this picture you can see the Fondued Cheese I had from Au Petit Coin Breton.

This was very tasty, at first I thought I might have to cook it myself in a fondue but it came out already cooked.

I really enjoyed this! The cheese was very tasty, soft and warm.

French Food and Drink # 14 - Wild Meat Pie

Lac Saint Jean Wild Meat Pie

Here in this picture I was having Lac Saint Jean Wild Meat Pie from aux Anciens Canadiens Restaurant.

Different wild meats such as Caribou are popular and cooked very very well.

The vegetables on this plate where half warm and half cold which was nice.

I am telling you to trust me that your taste buds will be happy in Quebec!!

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

French Food and Drink # 2 - Maple Candy!

by jamiesno Written Feb 4, 2005

Maple Candy from traditional sugar shack!

Here in this picture a local guy at the Carnaval was serving maple candy from a traditional sugar shack.

This is very traditional and I would try if I were you while in Quebec. I got this picture right up on the Carnaval groups.

Outside of that time of year it might be a little harder to find.

French Food and Drink # 13 - Maple Butter

Maple Butter by Chez Marie

Here is a real treat that I bought some of to bring home.

In the picture you can see maple butter from Chez Marie a traditional baker shop in Chateau Richer.

It is great on freshly made bread as you can see in this picture.

I really enjoyed yet another maple product.

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

French Food and Drink # 4 - Caribou - The Drink!

by jamiesno Written Feb 4, 2005

Me posing with some Caribou :-)

Caribou, a feisty alcoholic beverage, was popularised ever since the first carnival. The recipe is attributed to Ti-Père, a commerce that was first established on Ste-Thérèse Street in the lower city, then, more recently, in Old Quebec. Suffice to say a typical drink of caribou contains brandy, vodka, sherry and port... Wow!

The bar tender I spoke too said my particular drink of Caribou included the Caribou wine mixed with 100% alcohol "Alcool" and it was heated up like coffee!!

I tried very hard, I really tried my best to acquire a taste for it but it didn't come naturally. I promise to try again next visit :-)

French Food and Drink # 12 - French Bagette

French Bagette

Ok we can't be sitting in fancy restaurants all the time if your touring around at a frantic pace or on a budget so there are more options for trying the local cousine!

I wandered into a small convenience store and bought a freshly made bagette with a strong mustard on it but it was very tasty.

This store had all the ambiance of some of the fancy places as well. The local regulars where there buying cigarettes, getting a coffee and chatting about the local gossip. They were very expressive and willing to help with a few questions I had.

It was a nice fun experience and we ended up having some laughs with the people there, they were very friendly.

French Food and Drink # 15 - Maple Syrup Pie

Maple Syrup Pye

Here is another great example of local cousine and this one is for the person with a very sweet tooth.

It's Maple Syrup Pie from aux Anciens Canadiens Restaurant.

This concludes my look at the different very tasty foods of Quebec. I think you should have some ideas now on things that would be considered local.

They obviously enjoy their crepes, poutine, wild meats, fresh bread and maple products.

There are just so many different restaurants that I think you will not be disappointed in any of them in old Quebec! Enjoy because I think Quebec has to be one of the best culinary destinations the world has to offer! Seriously :-)

• Deus_ultima's Profile Photo

Care for Caribou?

by Deus_ultima Written Feb 11, 2003

Nickie giving us a demonstration! :)

Caribou is Quebec's national drink!

It contains vodka, brandy, port and sherry!

Duning the carnival, people walk around with their canes filled with the stuff and just give themselves a shot every now and again...

Keeps you warm...and tastes nice!
    :D

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

French Food and Drink # 3 - The Breakfast Crepes!

by jamiesno Written Feb 4, 2005

Great Crepe from Casse Crepe Breton!

Here in this picture is a very tasty mushroom, ham and cheese breakfast crepe from Casse Crepe Breton on Rue Saint Jean.

You will see plenty of Creperie's around Old Quebec.

It is definitely a traditional meal.

Enjoy your crepes :-)

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

French Food and Drink # 5 - Chocolate :-)

Chocolate at Madam Gigi's at the Petite Champlain

I personally have a weakness for chocolate so you can imagine that I really enjoyed the different Chocolaterie's of Quebec.

This one was in the Petite Champlain area of old Quebec but don't it looks great :-)

Instant Answers: Quebec