Rue du Trésor, Quebec

Know about this? Rate It!

Displays along Rue de Tresor
    by Bwana_Brown
    Street Market
    by jamiesno
    Rue du Tresor in Quebec City
    by Jefie
  • Jefie's Profile Photo

La Rue du Tresor: Looking for a souvenir?

by Jefie Written Aug 1, 2006

Rue du Tresor in Quebec City

Back in the 1960s, two arts students decided to hang some of their paintings on the little Rue du Trésor, which sort of connects the Notre-Dame Basilica Cathedral to the Chateau Frontenac. Within a few years, over 20 artists had also set up their little stand on the street to sell their paintings. Today, the Rue du Tresor is where people go to take home with them a piece of Quebec City's breathtaking landscapes. Works range from original watercolor and oil paintings to etching and offset reproductions. Even if you're not looking for anything to buy, I would still suggest walking down the street - the artists and sellers won't try to talk you into buying anything so you can take your time and admire the different art pieces.

What to buy: If you're short on budget, you might want to get an offset reproduction. They're not expensive and most of them look really great!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Pedestrian Walk: A Trendy Little Street for Artists

by Bwana_Brown Updated Jun 26, 2005

Displays along Rue de Tresor

Of course, Quebec City is full of small shops selling all manner of sculptures, paintings, trinkets and just about any kind of thing that you can think of. It was interesting to find the small street of Rue de Tresor (I think) located beside our Aubarge facing onto the Place D'Armes.

This street was totally off-limit to vehicle traffic and even had an awning over it to help protect it from the elements. On our early morning walk after breakfast, we went this way and I noticed that all the vendors simply fold-closed the two large boards that hold their artwork. These boards are locked together until it is time to fold things open again for business the next day. We walked back through here later in the day after finishing our tour of the American-French Museum and things seemed to be quite lively for such a cool and blustery day!

• jamiesno's Profile Photo

Street Market: Street Market

by jamiesno Updated Feb 6, 2005

Street Market

I can't remember the name of the street but it was directly across from the Chateau Frontenac you will find this street, it looks almost like a chanty town at first but when you venture down there you will find local artist selling their original works and prints.

During a tour I was on the guide recommended you bargain if you wanted to and it would be acceptable.

I returned to street on foot but didn't end up buying anything.

If I had my time back I think I would have, there were some very nice ones of the city.

Instant Answers: Quebec