Funiculaire du Vieux Quebec, Quebec

• Funiculaire du Vieux Quebec
    by jujuking
  • Funiculaire - take the stairs

by jujuking Updated Jul 3, 2007

We were told by our hotel reception about Funiculaire (it's a tram that takes you from the lower to upper old town). I was told that that there is a stair option but there are a lot of steps. I've seen lot worse in NYC subway.

The ride is not free - it's $1.75 per person and the ride takes about a minute.

The walkway isn't so bad... it's scenic and takes about 5 mins, but longer if you window shop. There are some great shops and restuarants. The stairs, I believe known as escalier casse cou is right next to the furniculaire

I would recommend putting the money towards a nice gelato and burning it off by taking the stairs. By the way, there is a cute little gelato/chocolate shop on rue du Petite Champlain. However, you may want to try a ride at least once.

Unique Suggestions: I'm not sure if there are tourist traps in Quebec. Obviously, many parts of the town are geared towards tourists but I don't think there is anything that intentionally takes advantage of unwitting visitors.

I tend to stay away from group tours and guides. However, the carriage ride seemed very nice although I didn't try it. The old town is such a pretty city that I'm sure it just enhances the whole carriage ride experience, and you get the guided tour.

• The funicular

by Spinky Written Jul 2, 2005

yeah, the funicular is a nice place, 2$( I think) to take it from upper city to downtown city, near Champlain Street.

Unique Suggestions: Use the stairs, or the road to go in downtown, no waiting time, and you'll see some place other won't.

Fun Alternatives: use your head, not your money :)

Instant Answers: Quebec