Regina Restaurants

Sidewalk seating at the Copper Kettle
    by Bwana_Brown
    A poor inside view of the bar area
    by Bwana_Brown
    Selam Ethiopian Restaurant, Regina, SK
    by Canuck5

Most Recent Restaurants in Regina

• La Bodega: Nice, local atmosphere; good food

by mdaecher Updated Apr 4, 2011

Good Tapas reaturant with limited full size entrees; nice ambiance at bar and in restaurant. I had a tortilla pizza served and a vegetable skewer with saffron rice. The pizza was a little dry, but good and not too filling. The vegetable skewer was excellent. Teh restaurant has a nice open kitchen, which is entertaining to bar patrons.

Prices were reasonable and there was a nice variety of hot and cold selections, as well as a nice wine, beer and alcohol selection. Signs about the establishment indicated it being voted locally as "Best Martini", so, I tried one. If this was Regina's best Martini, I'd stear clear of them. They did have a large selection of specialty martinis on the menu, but this was just a stright up vodka martinin and it was uninspriing. The wine, on the other hand, complimented my food nicely. Motown music played in the background, which was a nice change.

Favorite Dish: Vegetable skewer.

• Kefi Authentically Greek: BEST GREEK FOOD IN THE CITY

by kaftansivko Written Nov 18, 2010

This has to be one of the best Greek restaurants Ive eaten at, including the Times I spent in Greece.
    The food was Incredible & the atmosphere was cozy elegant & romantic.
    Everything was very clean & the Service was excellent.
    I had the Spanakopeta with the Achilles swords & just loved it, my wife tried the Moussaka & the dolmathes & was very surprised that they tasted better than her grandma's recipe in Greece.
    The Owner was very attentive & checked in on us & chatted a bit , it was nice to meet him & we really appreciated the help he gave us with our dinner & wine selections.
    I highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice change from your standard American eateries or pizza houses.

Favorite Dish: Achilles Swords
    Lamb , Beef, & Chicken Fire broiled with whole veggies on skewers it just melts in your mouth.

• Canuck5's Profile Photo

Selam Ethiopian Restaurant: African cuisine

by Canuck5 Updated Dec 28, 2008
    Selam Ethiopian Restaurant, Regina, SK

I had never tried Ethiopian cuisine before, so I stopped in here for their lunch buffet, a block away from the Quality Hotel, the Regina Inn Hotel, and the Ramada Inn.

The buffet consisted of 9 choices, two of which were veggie selections, one of sticky rice, and the remaining were a variety of stews, either beef or lamb. One was a curried stew, one was quite spicy. There was also a rolled-up flatbread, called "injera", which you can dip in the various stews on your plate.

There was also a garden salad, and to finish, slices of watermelon. All this came to just over CAD $10., including the tax.

Favorite Dish: I tried all of the buffet selections.

• Canuck5's Profile Photo

Punjabi East Indian Cusine: East Indian cuisine

by Canuck5 Written Nov 8, 2008

I was looking for an East Indian restaurant to dine in, and found this place, near the Cornwall Center Mall in downtown Regina.

I had their Butter Chicken special for supper, which came with Bangan (eggplant), Punjabi curry, Malai Kofta (squash), Tandoori chicken, lemon potatoes, Basmati rice, naan bread done in their own Tandoori oven, a bottle of Kingfisher indian beer, and for dessert, a bowl of rice pudding, and a Gulab Jamaan. All of this, including the tax, came to CAD $19., and I was stuffed.

Favorite Dish: Although they didn't have their buffet going on the night I was there, their lunch buffet goes for CAD $9.50, and the evening buffet for $13.99. From their a la carte menu, they have a good selection of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. The most expensive item on the menu was the Meat Biryani (chicken, lamb, shrimp, and mushrooms), at $14.99, but the average price for the entrees was $10.00. Very reasonable, I think.

Service was friendly.

• Casino and Gambling

Copper Kettle: Great location in the heart of downtown

by Bwana_Brown Written Jul 6, 2008

Sidewalk seating at the Copper Kettle

The Copper Kettle is located in an old building built in 1929 and located directly across Scarth Street from the popular grassed and treed Victoria Park in downtown Regina. Sue and I were out for a weekend stroll on a typical high-20s C day with sunshine when we happened upon this restaurant with its summer sidewalk seating. However, we were a bit late in the afternoon and most of the tables were already taken with a few groups already feeling 'no pain' - plus it was actually too hot to be sitting directly in the sunshine, so we decided to check out the indoor seating. In the end, we sat in a small elevated area near the front windows but had a good inside view of the bar area.

Favorite Dish: After sitting for a while, I realized that maybe I should just go up to the bar to order our food, because they seemed a bit short-staffed for the amount of business they were dealing with - although hardly anyone was inside. Keeping it simple, we ordered a Bruschetta ($8) and a Quesadilla ($8) as well as a large Keith's draft beer ($6) and a Billy Goat Chardonay ($8) that came in a chilled can - they said they have so few wine drinkers that it is better to use individually sized products. The food was a really long time coming and they actually forgot my order completely until I went back some time later to ask what was happening. No problem though, because we engaged in some interesting conversation with a visiting couple from British Columbia who were sitting next to us. When it came, the food was quite good - but they are mostly known for their pizzas.

Mr. Breakfast Restaurant: A 'no fuss' breakfast spot

by Bwana_Brown Updated Mar 23, 2008

The tiny Mr. Breakfast building

Since it was Easter weekend, I decided to treat myself to a restaurant breakfast and maybe even work a bit of ham into the deal as well. When I first arrived in Regina, one of the guys at work had mentioned that Mr. Breakfast was a no frills sort of restaurant serving up simple and inexpensive food, so I decided to give them a try.

I arrived at 8:45 AM and the small serving area (2nd photo) already had customers at every table, except for a small two-chair one beside the entrance door - so that is where I sat and from where I took the photo. Later, I noticed that the customers seemed to be leaving quite regularly so there were always enough seats available for everyone who entered after I did. This is a working class type restaurant, with a lot of blue collar customers having a good time enjoying their food.

Favorite Dish: The service was fast once I agreed to their $5.75 breakfast special. In my case, I had my slice of ham (with American mustard), two fried eggs over easy (with Tabasco and pepper), hash-brown potatoes (with Ketchup), toasted brown bread and coffee. It turned out to be quite a filling meal that kept me going quite well as I headed out of town later that morning for some exploration in the 'Lumsden' area outside Regina. Only cash is accepted for payment, with my total coming to $6.75 including the tip.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Grekos' Restaurant & Steak House: Steak House with a Greek flair!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Feb 6, 2008

'Filet Butterfly' steak, my main course

Grekos' is a long-time favourite of many Regina residents - Sue and I were introduced to it in October, 2007 by our local friends, who we had first met while back-packing in Belize! We were both very impressed with both the service and the quality of the food. Here it was, a few months later and I was all alone on our 33rd wedding anniversary, so I decided to treat myself to a decent meal by making a return visit! A sudden snowsquall didn't slow me down at all and I was soon seated in an almost empty establishment on a mid-week early evening.

Favorite Dish: Although Grekos' can serve up a variety of meals featuring steak, ribs, chicken and even seafood, I decided to stay with the meal that had impressed me the last time! Service was quick and I soon had a Greek Salad (part of my main course) to get me underway. It was a delicious combination (2nd photo) of lettuce, cucumber, black olive, tomatoes and Feta cheese served with a Greek dressing. Then it was on to my main course of a 6-ounce Filet Butterfly steak (US$21) served with Greek-style roasted potatoes, plump and juicy sauteed mushrooms as well as perfectly done Brocolli, carrots and yellow beans! The steak melted in my mouth and those mushrooms were almost as good by themselves. I had a couple of glasses of Franciscan Burgandy wine ($5 each) to wash the meal down and I left well satisfied with my decision!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Lee's Chop Suey East: My world food-tour continues!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Dec 15, 2007

A winter afternoon at Lee's Chop Suey East

Even though it was a relatively mild -10 C (with a -17 C windchill factor) day in Regina, I decided to have a Chinese take-out meal with a bit of 'kick' in it to help heat me up! In driving up and down Victoria Avenue from my apartment to the major shopping area over the past few weeks, I had noticed a Lee's Chop Suey restaurant (one of three in Regina) not far from where I was living. Since I was driving to Alberta the next day for a two-week family vacation over Christmas, I had eaten my own cupboards down to a bare minimum of supplies at this stage.

Inside the restaurant, the ornate dining area (2nd photo) was almost deserted but for a single family of four eating in a distant corner of the room. The staff were fast and friendly as I placed my Take-Out order, which was produced in about 10 minutes. They also gave me a menu selection to take with me in case I ever wanted to phone-in an order for delivery.

Favorite Dish: I settled on one of their spicy dishes called 'Kung Boa Guy Ding' ($9) which turns out to be Szechuan Chicken by any other name. It contains small portions of chicken mixed in with carrots, onions, celery and a spicy Szechuan sauce that was just right (medium) for me as shown in the 3rd photo. I also ordered a quite tasty Egg Roll that came with Plum Sauce ($1) and a container of steamed rice ($1) to accompany my glass (once I returned home) of Cabernet-Merlot bottled by the Canadian winery Peller Estates. The food shown on my plate is a bit less than half the amount the restaurant handed over to me, for a grand total of less than C$11 - I think they forgot to add the rice onto the bill. The food was excellent.

Flavours of India: Very enjoyable East Indian food

by Bwana_Brown Updated Dec 8, 2007

Chicken Tikka Masala with Naan bread & rice

When my wife and I arrived in Regina in October, 2007 we had to live in the Best Western Hotel for two weeks while I waited to move into an apartment. During that time we were eating all our meals at various restaurants as we explored around the city. In our quest for some delicious East Indian tastes, we stumbled upon the excellent Flavours of India restaurant, opened in 2006 by two young Sikhs. We were so impressed with the quality of their food and excellent service that I've already ordered their Take Out food four times in six weeks!

The restaurant has had rave reviews in the local culinary scene and I would highly recommend giving them a try. Their establishment has a very small front parking lot but the restaurant itself opens up once you enter and has a couple of levels once you continue past their entrance bar area. Their wide selection of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes are made from fresh ingredients and cooked following traditional Indian methods. Even when I order Take-Out items, they require 20-30 minutes to cook it to perfection!

Favorite Dish: My favourite has been the Chicken Tikka Masala ($15), consisting of tender chicken breasts marinated with yogurt, cream and saffron spices and baked in a clay oven along with onion, green pepper and a peanut sauce. It has excellent flavours and just the right amount of 'hot' when eaten with rice ($3) and traditional north Indian leavened Naan bread ($2). We found that a single order, costing $21 with taxes was sufficient to feed both of us.

Bushwakker Brewpub: One of Canada's best brew-pubs

by Bwana_Brown Updated Dec 7, 2007

Exterior entrance on a snowy Dewdney Avenue

Finally, after moving to Regina in October, 2007 to take up my new job, I had my first weekend free to actually relax a bit! Sue had flown back to New Brunswick for the winter after seeing me settled into an apartment, so I decided to check out the local pub scene for lunch. A Google scan quickly revealed that Regina is home to one of Canada's most highly regarded brew pubs, the Bushwakker, located in a former grand old warehouse (2nd photo). This formerly-called Strathdee grocery warehouse was built (1913-14) following the destruction of this part of Regina by a tornado in 1912. With its stone and brick exterior, arched windows and a pressed tin interior ceiling this building alone is worth a visit - you can admire it while sitting in the ground floor brewpub.

Favorite Dish: This restaurant has a varied menu and an amazing stock of beers as per their website: "The Bushwakker Brewpub offers nine flagship beers, two guest draughts and one rotating tap of special import draught all year round. Twenty additional beers and a blackberry mead are brewed in The Bushwakker brewery and made seasonally available. They are served on a rotating basis, or at certain times of the year, or at the dictates of consumer demand."

For food I had their Wakker Quesadilla, consisting of Cajun chicken with sauteed mushrooms, onions and peppers (red, yellow and green) with tomatoes and cheese on a flour tortilla, served with salsa, sour cream, a dill pickle and garnish ($9). The beer choices were many, but I settled on a fine looking dark Paliser Porter ($5), described as "a black rich ale with a sweet coffee flavour and roasted finish" (its technical details were listed on the menu as 5.8% alcohol, 1057 Original Gravity and 43 International Bitterness Units) The ale certainly went down very smoothly, but I thought about 'Richiecdisc' as I eyed one of their Procrastintor Dopplebock's for a future visit!

• Beer Tasting
    • Architecture

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Ricky's All Day Grill: I was impressed!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Nov 18, 2007

Ricky's exterior, attached to the Best Western

With about fifty restaurants located throughout western Canada and Ontario, the Ricky’s All Day Grill chain has grown substantially since it was founded in the 1960s. Although initially established as a family-styled breakfast house, it has evolved over the years into an all-day restaurant offering delicious food presented well in a modern environment. I had never actually heard about them until Sue and I walked into the one attached to the Best Western Seven Oaks Inn in Regina while we were staying there for two weeks in October, 2007. This particular branch is brand new and its interior decor looked great - the comfortable eating cubicles helped as well.

Favorite Dish: We had breakfast, lunch and dinners at Ricky's and they were all great! However, it was our very first meal that made us want to come back for more - we were celebrating arriving in Regina after our mad dash half-way across the continent! Since we were not all that hungry, we decided to just get two different Appetizers to share (2nd photo). Sue opted for their Bruschetta ($7.50) consisting of warmed goat cheese, diced fresh tomatoes, red onion and pesto with garlic grilled panini bread. I made a 3-pronged attack with a Tapas Trio ($10), consisting of a bowl of Caesar Salad, potatoe skins with sour cream and chicken strips with a sweet Thai dipping sauce! With a glass of white house wine ($4.50) and a large glass of Keiths ale ($6), our total bill including the taxes and tip came to C$35. We really enjoyed this feast and I would recommend Ricky's to anyone.

Elephant & Castle: A 'British Pub' Styled Restaurant

by Bwana_Brown Updated Nov 18, 2007

Chatting With our Son-in-Law's Parents

On our first night in Regina (early May, 2001), we along with all the other family members in attendance for the RCMP graduation ceremony, enjoyed a great night out at the Elephant & Castle restaurant. This is one of a chain of British pub-style restaurants that opened over 30-years ago and has expanded to about two dozen locations in both Canada and the United States. With their various beers on tap and a distinctly British pub-style menu, we found both the food and the ambiance to be great.

April, 2007 - VT member "rohatynk" tells me that the Elephant & Castle has been taken over by the Smitty's restaurant chain. I don't know what this has done to their menu or quality of service.

• vtveen's Profile Photo

The Copper Kettle: really nice setting

by vtveen Written Oct 25, 2007
    The Copper Kettle, Regina

We really don’t like these food courts in the shopping malls in Canada and found The Copper Kettle when we were strolling around downtown Regina. It is located just opposite Victoria Park and even has some tables on a sidewalk terrace, which is rather unusual in Canada.

For us it was a perfect place for having a lunch. Menu is varying from soup, sandwiches and salads to pizzas.

Be aware: during lunch time it can be very busy with people working in downtown Regina. Better be early or a little bit later.

Favorite Dish: Last time we had a soup and some lovely sandwiches.

• Babzz's Profile Photo

Bushwakker Brewpub: Nice Atmosphere; Great Service; Tasty Beer

by Babzz Updated Jun 20, 2007

A really nice spot for something to eat. Great service, big portions, reasonable selection (we tried the bison steak), and they brew their own beer so we got to try out some local brews. The atmosphere is causal and pleasant, lots of potted plants and wood trim, big windows to let the sunshine in. Various events (e.g. Jazz night) in the evenings.

Favorite Dish: We really liked the selection of local beers.

• 13th Avenue Coffee House: Best Vegetarian in Town!!!

by rohatynk Written Apr 9, 2007

Amazing food, mostly vegetarian. There is always great music playing and friendly, inviting staff. In the summer, they have a nice patio area. Some of the best food in town, and most for under $10.

Favorite Dish: Their veggie burger is the best in town and highly addictive! Their bowl dishes are also a favorite.

Instant Answers: Regina

Comments

Regina Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Regina restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Regina sightseeing.